[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• It doesnt work that medley they are doing.

Also firth of fifth just starting with the drums is pretty lame too.

I think that right after the acoustic section, instead of playing Duchess,

they could suddendly fill the arena with the atmospheric intro of WATCHER OF THE SKIES (only the intro),

continuing with FIRTH OF FIFTH + I KNOW WHAT I LIKE as they do now.

Next piece could have been DUCHESS.

I think that variation would have been simple to do but very impressive and friendly with old fans.

• I was hoping so much that your reveal was Abacab. I do not understand why this song keeps getting bumped out. It is so strong live and it is one of the only tracks still played consistently on rock radio here. I’m hoping we get to hear at least there rehearsal version at some point.

• We all have our own personal set lists for sure. If That's All got swapped out for Misunderstandung, I'd be fine wih that. I can say there isn't a bad song in the set, so I'd err on leaving it. Duchess needs to stay for sure.

I’d be fine with That’s All being swapped out, though I fear it will be Duchess.

• I'm gonna get throttled for this, but drop the medley. "Fading Lights" is a great song but it's anemic slog this tour, especially without the mid-song jam. Drop the whole medley, "Lamb," and "Behind the Lines," then put in "Abacab," "Misunderstanding," and something like "In Too Deep" (by far their biggest hit that isn't being played in terms of still being played regularly on most radio outlets). "Duchess" isn't going anywhere, I don't think, as I think Tony especially recognizes as the show's emotional high point. It's the story of the band.

• "Fading Lights" is a great song but it's anemic slog this tour, especially without the mid-song jam.

At the show I went to it really did not come across like this at all, in fact it felt to me it was a very emotional moment especially given its meaning and where the band are now. Yes of course I'd have liked the instrumental section but even so, it felt very poignant. I hope the US fans get to see it.

Duchess is a real highpoint so yes, hopefully it stays. Never seen it as the story of the band though.

Abandon all reason

• Perhaps Misunderstanding won't be at every show. Maybe it would be a swap in the markets with multiple shows (Chicago, NYC, Montreal, Toronto, Philadelphia, Boston)

Yes, I realize they didn't swap anything in the multi-night stays in the UK, but who knows...

• Why did I click the spoiler? Disappointing that it wasn’t Abacab. Oooof.

I hope they just tack it on the set instead of dropping something. I thought it was kind of bogus they dropped Jesus He Knows Me and Hold On My Heart in the UK. The setlist shirts from the UK were kinda cool, but - they are all incorrect and it bothers me for whatever reason. I get it was a last minute decision, but - they had more than a year and a half of rehearsal time to figure it out.

ANYWAYS…

IF something gets dropped - I hope it’s “The Lamb”. That song has zero energy and is boring in it’s current form. I could do without “I Know What I Like” as well but that likely wont happen. My hopes is that it will be added in after Fading Lights/Cinema/Afterglow where Jesus/Hold once lived.

My fingers are crossed for some more surprises tomorrow night, but we’ll see. It’s going to be amazing either way!

• It will be good to hear Misunderstanding again. Like others though I hope they don't kick out Duchess to make way for it. For me they can take out any of TIAA, IKWIL, Fading Light, The Lamb. I too don't get why they haven't played Abacab for so long, it is a great track. I had hoped Squonk would be played but I think that's unlikely now - probably too hard for Phil to sing. I never understood why on the last tour and on this one so far they haven't changed the set list: it must get a bit boring for them to be playing the same stuff every night. Anyway, whatever they play it is just great they are back together again.

• IF something gets dropped - I hope it’s “The Lamb”. That song has zero energy and is boring in it’s current form.

i agree with you, that acoustic version of the lamb dies down on broadway doesn't do much for me, either. also, it's not like genesis to change songs so drastically from the studio versions.

Edited once, last by chema ().

• I'm gonna get throttled for this, but drop the medley. "Fading Lights" is a great song but it's anemic slog this tour, especially without the mid-song jam. Drop the whole medley, "Lamb," and "Behind the Lines," then put in "Abacab," "Misunderstanding," and something like "In Too Deep" (by far their biggest hit that isn't being played in terms of still being played regularly on most radio outlets). "Duchess" isn't going anywhere, I don't think, as I think Tony especially recognizes as the show's emotional high point. It's the story of the band.

Would you care to elaborate on the 'story of the band'?

• Perhaps it's not as important to newer fans

The lamb/Fading have mood, 2.5 hours of full on energy would be wearing.

I'd say you're probably right about the first part, but I wouldn't say I'm a newer fan. I've always thought IKWIL was kinda goofy.

Fading Lights is one of my favorites - It's a damn shame they snipped out the best part and pasted Cinema Show in there abruptly. Stoked to see it on the list none the less.

The energy thing though - agree to disagree. The new Lamb is a snoozer. Merch/beer break for me.

• the second part of fading is a 3 piece, it would leave Phil twiddling his thumbs again. They've got to snip stuff, Cinema show is a must imo. I would have preferred both to be full versions, but that's the way it goes with a 54 year old band trying to please everyone a bit.

Beer breaks aren't allowed. (unless they do Bacharach).

Agreed on all counts.

Abandon all reason