[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• I actually credit the overwhelming negative reaction on the old, official genesis-music.com forum when that idea was floated (i.e., the trading of "Ripples" for "In Too Deep" in North America) for that exchange never occurring. Someone who had some kind of connection to the band suggested in a post on the forum that the exchange might happen, and the list exploded in the most amazing and horrified way! ^^ It was nearly a unanimous (if not actually unanimous) outcry against the idea. Fortunately, it never happened. (I was relieved - that's for sure...)

i remember that, too. even some forum members who were known to be fans of later genesis, preferred ripples over in too deep in the setlist.

• Maybe, but I suspect you'll have to buy the standard DVD first.

Then perhaps they'll release the Blu-Ray at the same time as 'When In Rome' when Tony Smith needs another pay day? :rolleyes:

I would have thought these days the Blu Ray would be standard. DVDs are becoming rarer, or that is my experience.

• I would have thought these days the Blu Ray would be standard. DVDs are becoming rarer, or that is my experience.

At the time When In Rome was released, the marketplace had not yet settled on a standard of high definition home media. The "war" between the two HD formats (HD DVD vs BLU RAY) was in full swing.

Genesis opted to just release it as a standard DVD because they were unsure which HD format would win.

Genesis also made a deal with Walmart to exclusively carry the DVD in North America. I guess Walmart shoppers circa 2007-8 weren't considered very tech savvy so they cancelled an HD release.

Within months, Blu Ray wiped out HD DVD, but by then, When In Rome was already out, and wouldn't be re-released. They've had more than enough time to fix this oversight, but nothing yet!

• Yes, that's fair enough (and I wish WIR would come out on Blu Ray too) but the point is that if a Last Domino show comes out, I would bet 100% that it will be 'straight to Blu Ray'.

• Why bother with such a long breakdown? All you need to do is go to setlist.fm pick your concert date and scroll down to "Songs on Albums" to see the graphic and songs from each album:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist…l-qc-canada-338a7821.html

Invisible Touch was the highest with 5 (not my most liked album unfortunately) followed by Genesis Mama and Selling England with 4 each.

• Why bother with such a long breakdown? All you need to do is go to setlist.fm pick your concert date and scroll down to "Songs on Albums" to see the graphic and songs from each album:

Invisible Touch was the highest with 5 (not my most liked album unfortunately) followed by Genesis Mama and Selling England with 4 each.

I would much prefer looking at "time spent" playing songs from various albums in the current setlist as this is a much better indicator of representation. Three brief snippets from SEBTP aren't even close to 4-5 full songs from '80s albums.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of these functions on this website. I've mainly just looked at single shows.

That said, the stats per album don't represent some of the details I highlighted - e.g., snippets versus full songs.

• Thoughts now having seen them at last.

The setlist is pretty well rounded. Fading Lights was probably the one where people went to the toilet/bar the most. And the final stretch of IT/ICD/CC is bit flat. Most people around me didn't know CC. In the US, if they added Abacab on after CC it would have been amazing.

The setlist is pretty well rounded. Fading Lights was probably the one where people went to the toilet/bar the most. And the final stretch of IT/ICD/CC is bit flat. Most people around me didn't know CC. In the US, if they added Abacab on after CC it would have been amazing.

I know it's Phil's favourite song and Genesis' biggest single, but IT is one song, I wish they would not perform on a concert.

There are better songs left off and it's probably one of the most dated off them all IMO

I guess we were singing along to Carpet Crawlers with such a loud voice (as were a few people around us) that we were unaware of the reaction from the rest of the audience. My view is that the pop mid 80s-to-early 90s era crowd got a nice run of songs toward the end of the set of songs from IT and WCD. It’s nice that the band acknowledged those of us who appreciate the early material. I cried during the entire length of DWTMK/CC at the show we attended. I doubt the IT/WCD folks were brought to tears by ICD

• For my money, the only song from IT that doesn't suffer from key changes is Land of Con

What really surprised me was that there was nothing from Supper's Ready. Nic appeared to confirm that Apocalypse onwards had made the cut in several interviews, but now it appears that it was dropped quite early in rehearsals.

I'm not surprised. I recall having a recording from radio of them doing those sections after In the Cage on the IT tour and Phil struggled with the vocals (in 9/8 as I recall), which I suspect is why when I saw them we got In that Cage->Quiet Earth ->Afterglow.

I'm not sure how far they'd have to drop the key, but it'd be significant.

• For my money, the only song from IT that doesn't suffer from key changes is Land of Con

I'm not surprised. I recall having a recording from radio of them doing those sections after In the Cage on the IT tour and Phil struggled with the vocals (in 9/8 as I recall), which I suspect is why when I saw them we got In that Cage->Quiet Earth ->Afterglow.

I'm not sure how far they'd have to drop the key, but it'd be significant.

Phil definitely struggled during the IT Tour with A in 9/8 (at least after the first few shows). There’s a short clip on YouTube of rehearsals for the IT Tour. After Supper’s Ready Phil tells the rest of the band “It’s a bit tougher without any balls.” He knew even at that point it was going to be a struggle for him night after night. Having said that it would have been great if they could have played A in 9/8 on this tour sans vocals. As weird as that may sound there is another clip on YouTube from 1977 of that section without any vocals (the assumption is it was a rehearsal) and it sounded very powerful. They could have played that and then dropped down a bit so Phil could sing the last few majestic minutes of SR, with the help of the back-up singers. Nic did mention in an interview prior to the tour that there were some challenges with playing some of the early stuff they rehearsed before the current tour (if my memory is correct he mentioned SR and Watcher).

• We can all argue until we're blue in the face with respect to what they could have played. The reality is that they were dealing with a major limiting factor (Phil) so they picked the songs (even ratcheted down 1-2 steps) that Phil could somewhat handle. That has to have been the main factor that determined the content of the setlist. Plus, this is the "trio" version of the band so I would have been a little shocked to hear Harold the Barrel lol. That being said, minor tweaks could have been made the setlist a bit more rounded in terms of their history (this is the last hurrah after all). Yes, I think it's a shame that none of Supper's Ready was included - that is their calling card. Could they have done the instrumental section (only) from the end of Willow Farm to the beginning of As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs? Yes, probably, though Phil would have been twiddling his thumbs for 10+ minutes. One thing I really wish they would have done is the intro/outro of Watcher of the Skies as they did in '76 (never liked the '82 version as it's in "E" - way too low compared to the original F# key) as an opener, as opposed to the omnipresent Behind the Lines. Also, 1 song from Trick. Again, it is what it is but I think they could have done a tiny little bit better, even acknowledging the tight parameters within which they were operating.

• It's tough. I'd have loved something more from pre-73 than the five seconds of stagnation. They have such a huge Chattahoochee (I can't possibly delete that, my phone autocorrected 'catalogue', wtf?!) that seeing a show in person, if anything, massively reinforced my idea that they should change the setlist around from night to night.

I had a very ill-formed impression that the crowd was 70% casual, 30% hardcore. The casual fan won't give a shit if they play firth of fifth or chamber of 32 doors or giant hogweed. I think. And they are more than talented and hardworking enough to have 4 or 5 songs to rotate. I'll never get it. I bet if they launched into Lily-white Lilith or Many Too Many they'd catch the attention of some of those casual attendees, maybe more than the instrumental section of cinema show.

• We can all argue until we're blue in the face with respect to what they could have played. The reality is that they were dealing with a major limiting factor (Phil) so they picked the songs (even ratcheted down 1-2 steps) that Phil could somewhat handle. That has to have been the main factor that determined the content of the setlist. Plus, this is the "trio" version of the band so I would have been a little shocked to hear Harold the Barrel lol. That being said, minor tweaks could have been made the setlist a bit more rounded in terms of their history (this is the last hurrah after all). Yes, I think it's a shame that none of Supper's Ready was included - that is their calling card. Could they have done the instrumental section (only) from the end of Willow Farm to the beginning of As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs? Yes, probably, though Phil would have been twiddling his thumbs for 10+ minutes. One thing I really wish they would have done is the intro/outro of Watcher of the Skies as they did in '76 (never liked the '82 version as it's in "E" - way too low compared to the original F# key) as an opener, as opposed to the omnipresent Behind the Lines. Also, 1 song from Trick. Again, it is what it is but I think they could have done a tiny little bit better, even acknowledging the tight parameters within which they were operating.

Isn’t debating “until we are blue in the face” about such things one of the most enjoyable aspects on this board?