[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• Hello everyone. I have one question. Are any of you close enough to Genesis members and the band management to try to convince them of a few modifications to The Last Domino's Europe tour setlist in March 2022? These will probably be the last concerts of the band in history and I would really like to hear Jesus He Knows Me, Abacab, Dreaming While You Sleep or, for example, In That Quiet Earth after 30-40 years. At least 3-4 shifts. Of course, the current setlist is also good - although we will never really hear Genesis live after March 2022. I would like these songs to remind you at least and I hope that someone will try to convince the band to modify it. Thank you in advance for your answer.

These will probably be the last concerts of the band in history and I would really like to hear Jesus He Knows Me, Abacab, Dreaming While You Sleep or, for example, In That Quiet Earth after 30-40 years. At least 3-4 shifts.

You're not alone. Everyone here would like some changes and some deep cuts to be played...

But you know, even if someone from the management is here, I highly doubt any member of the crew has any influence on the setlist. I can't see Geoff Callingham or Tony Smith saying to the guys "Play The Waiting Room, man", and Tony and Mike answering : "Great idea ! We should play Undertow too...".

At least, we know some changes already happened : Jesus was ready to be played, and they tried Misunderstanding.

Since it's quite a long hiatus until March, and their very, very last performances, maybe something unexpected will happen as they will have some time to prepare it. But I doubt it.

• Thank you very much for your answer. After all - if someone on the forum is an employee of Genesis management or knows Tony Smith and the band members well - please ask them at least, try to convince them to make a few changes in the set list. I really liked the slightly altered version of, for example, Misunderstanding, although I never liked it. :))))) This is a really goodbye to Genesis fans - that's why we want to hear songs that have not been heard for decades - although known like Abacab or Jesus He Knows Me. I would even like One Of The Vine or Eleventh Earl Of Mar. :)))))))))) I say - 3, 4 shifts.

• Thank you very much for your answer. After all - if someone on the forum is an employee of Genesis management or knows Tony Smith and the band members well - please ask them at least, try to convince them to make a few changes in the set list. I really liked the slightly altered version of, for example, Misunderstanding, although I never liked it. :))))) This is a really goodbye to Genesis fans - that's why we want to hear songs that have not been heard for decades - although known like Abacab or Jesus He Knows Me. I would even like One Of The Vine or Eleventh Earl Of Mar. :)))))))))) I say - 3, 4 shifts.

And . . . at least part of Supper’s Ready!

• I agree with you, but I'm afraid that Phil's voice won't stand - that's why I'm not pushing for it. But the songs mentioned above are not particularly vocal demanding. Really, if we have friends among the Genesis management, please try to convince them to change. These will probably be the last concerts of the band - that's why I would like to hear new songs that have not been released in 30-40 years.

• I agree with you, but I'm afraid that Phil's voice won't stand - that's why I'm not pushing for it. But the songs mentioned above are not particularly vocal demanding. Really, if we have friends among the Genesis management, please try to convince them to change. These will probably be the last concerts of the band - that's why I would like to hear new songs that have not been released in 30-40 years.

Perhaps with the help of backing vocalists Phil could pull off the last several minutes of SR. I’m thinking as a surprise replacement for CC at the end. Imagine “Selling England by the Pound . . . And it’s hey babe (etc)”

• I also like Supper Ready a lot - especially the version from 1977 and 1986. :)))))))))) The more that 50 years have passed since the Foxtrot album this year. I say - at least I would like a few changes in the set list. I think that 1- maybe 2 songs will change- but I don't think more. I would remove Follow You Follow Me, Throwing It All Away and Cinema Show with Afterglow. The first 2 songs were on Phil's final solo tour in 2017-2019. Cinema Show with Afterglow's was on almost every Genesis tour. Fading Lights should be complete with the instrument part - or removed at all. This way, there would be space for these 3-4 changes. Carpet Crawlers I would not change - because this ending is beautiful.

Edited once, last by pawciob1 ().

• Wishing for setlist changes is totally understandable. However it is not supported by how this band has operated over the past few tours. The main setlist changes they have made have been to drop songs that weren't working for one reason or another and subbing something in that was fairly simple for them to do. The Encore tour was the last tour when they added in relatively challenging new songs for variety. That was when they were a band with all cylinders firing, which is not the case anymore.

So I think impassioned pleas will still not likely lead to the kinds of setlist changes being wished for. The one surprise that I think is possible (and it would be a long shot), is that if either Peter or Steve join for a song in one of the London shows, they might pull a chestnut out. But even in the unlikely event that Peter or Steve join them, it would be a lot easier for it to be on a song they are already doing, e.g., I Know What I Like or Carpet Crawlers.

• I agree Dr John. :))))))))))))) The situation, however, is a bit different now. Being in the band's shoes - especially Phil - and knowing that this is probably the last Genesis show in my life, knowing that I will never meet the fans on stage again, I would have put a lot of effort into these 2 months and really prepared some serious changes. Of course I'm not saying hahaha that the band is "lazy" hahaha (the new version of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway from 2021 shows that the band can still be creative) - but I would just put in even more - knowing that this is the end of the adventure stage. The change of 3-4 songs, not played for a long time - mentioned earlier by me - especially Abacab and Jesus He Knows Me - is possible to be done by the band. These vocals besides Supper Ready aren't that hard for Phil to sing - even despite his voice problems. If they wanted to, they could really do it for 2 months.

• The change of 3-4 songs, not played for a long time - mentioned earlier by me - especially Abacab and Jesus He Knows Me - is possible to be done by the band. These vocals besides Supper Ready aren't that hard for Phil to sing - even despite his voice problems. If they wanted to, they could really do it for 2 months.

Didn't we learn that Jesus was rehearsed and dropped because the vocal was too difficult, the speed and energy of it?

Abandon all reason

• A petition would be a good solution. :)))) I speak seriously :) It doesn't hurt to try. Really we see this guys in March, unfortunately probably for the last time on stage. Maybe we'll see Phil at the solo concerts in future - but Genesis in march 2022 I'm 100% sure that it will end its activity. Therefore, such a request to change some of the pieces would be advisable. I know that Jesus He Knows Me was said to have been practiced, but if I were to be Phil, I would have tried and practiced until it was done. This is an underestimated piece - contrary to appearances, not that simple. My suggestion is to remove Throwing It All Away, Follow You Follow Me, Fading Lights without an instrumental part, and even Cinema Show and Afterglow. However, add at least Abacab and Jesus He Knows Me- and something from the 70s- maybe One Of The Vine, Eleventh Earl Of Mar or something completely new. You Own Special Way can be. Dreaming While You Sleep would be fantastic, but I doubt the band would want to practice. Maybe In Too Deep? The band would already consider what to play at these farewell concerts. The last part of Supper Ready could be as well, but Phil's voice probably can't stand it. Let's reflect on such a petition together- but let's set together those 4-5 songs, which we could suggest to the Genesis manager.

• Understandable as all this is and I speak as someone who prefers earlier material, this is not at all how the band operates, even without Phil’s limitations. This is a production, not a gig, more like a theatre show and a very expensive one at that. So I doubt there will be any changes. However, maybe an extra encore will happen in London and I wouldn’t definitely rule out a guest appearance from Steve or Pete. But then I expected an extra encore when they played Rome and we all thought that was the end and it didn’t happen. I’m amazed and grateful we got anything from them. The perfectionist Genesis of old would not have gone out with Phil’s vocals as they are but I’m glad they did and I thought he did a great job, as they all did. I’d like to be proven wrong but I don’t think they’ll push their luck any further.

• Theoretically, it is known that it is a huge undertaking. But I repeat again - these are the last !!!!!! Genesis appearances in history. Really in Phil's position, during these two months he should be determined and practiced, practiced, practiced vocals, for example for Jesus He Knows Me. This concerts it is all expensive. But this team is very rich! They won't go bankrupt from adding 4-5 tracks and new lighting. Hahahaha. Without exaggeration. We'll see what happens - but hopefully either someone on the team is reading these posts - or one of us will write a short letter to Tony Smith to forward the band's request for some changes. Of course, the current setlist is not bad (Duchess, Duke's Intro, Mama, Land Of Confusion, part of Fading Lights, No Son Of Mine, Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Domino, Carpet Crawlers are particularly fantastic) - but after March 2022 we probably won't see them again on the scene. I would do my best (and I know they are professionals) - and say goodbye to the fans with the depth of his rich material. When I hear these 4-5 new songs, not played in 30-40 years, I will be really satisfied.

• My suggestion is to remove Throwing It All Away, Follow You Follow Me, Fading Lights without an instrumental part, and even Cinema Show and Afterglow. However, add at least Abacab and Jesus He Knows Me- and something from the 70s- maybe One Of The Vine, Eleventh Earl Of Mar or something completely new. You Own Special Way can be.

Let's reflect on such a petition together- but let's set together those 4-5 songs, which we could suggest to the Genesis manager.

With all due respect, while many if not all of us here feel what you're saying in principle we are now into the realm of pure fantasy - plus your suggestions of withdrawals and replacements would never even get to the stage of any sort of petition being agreed on. I'd like to see a few interesting set changes by the time of those final 2 shows, which I'm attending. But there's no way I'd want them to drop the ones you mentioned, nor include the suggested additions.

As with any band I see, I'm happy to let them make the setlist decisions. If it's the exact same show I alread saw I'll be more than satisfied, if there are changes I'll be pleasantly surprised and still happy, if it's either of those plus PG/SH appearing - I'll be delirious. In all cases I'll be very emotional as I'm sure you're right, these will be the final Genesis gigs.

Of course, as was agreed a while back we're all still hoping they'll wheel out Digby...

Abandon all reason

• remember the Stones tour( and some other bands ), when they pulled someone out of the crowd who could request a song?...with Genesis about as likely as Phils ex wife appearing on stage!.

As prev mentioned it is a highly produced show and will be coming to London straight from European shows. Maybe PG making a brief appearance, but even that may be a stretch and Steve is on his US tour in March

• They're not going to add any additional songs and make the show longer than it already is.

So any change to the setlist would almost certainly come at the expense of Duchess (see Chicago).

If Duchess is the only song they'll consider dropping for something else, then I say leave the setlist alone.

• I wish they'd drop Duke's Intro, and give something fresher in its place, like Abacab.

And I don't think too many would complain if they got rid of No Son Of Mine for something else, but I wouldn't get your hopes up!