[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• Although I’m fan of earlier tracks I’d have to leap to defend No Son of Mine which I think is one of their best later tracks and in fact one of their best of any era

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not a hater of No Son Of Mine.

But I really can't think of anything else on the setlist that would be considered 'expendable' for a new setlist addition.

• pawciob1 Love your enthusiasm, but you're wasting your breath. They're not going to change the setlist because some random guy on a message board asked them pretty please.

Personally, I'd love to hear a lot of the same songs that you do, but the chances of it happening are absolutely zero.

• pawciob1 Love your enthusiasm, but you're wasting your breath. They're not going to change the setlist because some random guy on a message board asked them pretty please.

Personally, I'd love to hear a lot of the same songs that you do, but the chances of it happening are absolutely zero.

I agree, it ain't gonna happen. If they didn't pull some trick out of the bag in Rome, they never will. And having seen them in Boston, I *kind* of understand why. Sections of the crowd lose interest during long bits they don't know. I like to think if I was the artist, it would drive me insane to play the same thing night after night. I've expounded at tedious length on how I'd envision Genesis mixing it up (such as trading like for like; if some folks in the crowd lose focus during cinema show, they're not likely to care if watcher of the skies for example was played in place of Cinema show). But they don't do this ever.

The only hope for ever dusting off ancient, rarely or never played material, would have been a dedicated forum separate from the tour, such as a smaller scale fanclub gig or two. This is also something they don't do.

Fwiw, I was beyond thrilled with the gig I saw. Despite all the cribbing ahead of time about how static the tour setlists are, I loved every second of the show and wouldn't change a thing. If I had a chance to see a second show and there was a swap out, it would be amazing but I think we've got what we have and it's brilliant.

• By this petition, I meant that at least a few people should write it. It would be idiotic on its own - surely the band ignored my private request. We'll see how it goes. Maybe there will be some voices to the band that they want to change. We'll see. It is simply the last chance to see them live and I think such a GROUP initiative would make sense. But if we don't want to, no problem.

• Hallo everybody,

I saw the 4k concert video taken from Philadelphia gig. The only song i would change is no son of mine ... I would replace with the instrumental part of "Apocalypse in 9/8 "... will remain a dream.

• All those songs you guys are making this "petition" is a real FAR cry of what Genesis is about today and has been for the past two decades.

Come on, let's be real, they can't play those songs not only because Phil no longer have the range but also because they are more now about the Genesis trio (post Duke) of the 80's-90's period.

If you want to hear songs like Supper's ready and others from Wind & Wuthering, go see Steve Hackett's Genesis Revisited Band, you'll be happy instead of begging for a miracle.

• I wonder if they'll change the visuals for Land of Confusion to reference/show support for Ukraine?

Sad that some 40 years after the song/video was originally released the subject is still very much alive and real.

I think that people expecting this do not understand the time, effort and money required to make even changes to one song's visuals.

The visuals will not change. And there will be no truly unexpected songs performed live. The only remote possibilities are Jesus He Knows Me or Abacab, both of which have visuals ready to go.

• All those songs you guys are making this "petition" is a real FAR cry of what Genesis is about today and has been for the past two decades.

Come on, let's be real, they can't play those songs not only because Phil no longer have the range but also because they are more now about the Genesis trio (post Duke) of the 80's-90's period.

If you want to hear songs like Supper's ready and others from Wind & Wuthering, go see Steve Hackett's Genesis Revisited Band, you'll be happy instead of begging for a miracle.

The simple, if somewhat sad, fact is that.....they could play any of those songs. They could find a way to match Phil's current vocal range, just as they've done with Mama, Duchess and the other transposed songs.

The fact is, they don't want to. Understandably they play what the three of them all want to play. And since 1982 or so, they've not felt like bringing out much of the *really* old stuff. That's not what they want to play, and it's not what the majority of the audience want to hear.

Yes, it's a shame that the men who wrote One For The Vine or Supper's Read will never again play those songs. But it is what it is. Enjoy Genesis for what they are today, because this almost certainly is your last chance.

Steve will no doubt continue for a few more years, his shows are successful. Peter hasn't sung more than a couple of lines of a Genesis song in 40 years. Mike might occasionally add an 80s Genesis hit to a Mechanics set list. Nic reckons Phil will retire again after this. Tony....could theoretically lend his services to guest with any tribute band (or even Steve's) to thunderous and rapturous applause but has never shown any desire to do so. Likely late March 2022 will be the last time he performs anything in public.

Sad, perhaps. But that's what they want. And in the end, they're not our performing monkeys. They're human beings.

• Nic mentioned before the tour that he had practiced at least parts of Watcher of the Skies and Supper’s Ready. My impression is that they were at least considering those songs but set them aside due to the difficulty in playing songs like that for the first time in 40 years.

• Nic mentioned before the tour that he had practiced at least parts of Watcher of the Skies and Supper’s Ready. My impression is that they were at least considering those songs but set them aside due to the difficulty in playing songs like that for the first time in 40 years.

They rehearsed them right at the beginning. No visuals were ever designed for these and it's unclear how long the band spent on them. Possibly as little as one or two tries. Mike and Tony have both stated that they sounded "too old" and the idea of playing them was dropped. They also tried The Musical Box.

Didn't seem to be anything to do with them being too difficult to play. The band just decided they didn't fit with the rest of the set.

I was a bit surprised that Apocalypse in 9/8 didn't emerge, because Nic stated two things in several interviews....that he would only mention titles of songs that made the set and that he specifically enjoyed Apocalypse. But it now seems it was dropped after the very first rehearsal dates.

You and I may well feel this is a shame, as opening to Watcher and having Apocalypse in there somewhere would have been magical...but if they specifically didn't enjoy trying them out, we can't expect them to appear.

I would love to be proved wrong and for Genesis to play themselves out at the O2 with Watcher or Apocalypse. But I shall not be holding my breath.

• The fact is, they don't want to. Understandably they play what the three of them all want to play.

And in the end, they're not our performing monkeys. They're human beings.

This ... this right here; you've nailed it right on the head. They are going to play what they want to play.

I'll add that for me, I would only want them to play what they want to play, if only so you know they're not just going through the motions. Play what you like and feel energized by, not what the fans want. Because ... they're not our performing monkeys! Exactly! They should be doing this because they WANT to, and playing the songs THEY want to.

• Ok, a totally random thought that I can't get out of my head, so I'll share it.....the Fading Lights "BAM" segue into Cinema Show certainly split opinion on this tour (mainly as it was something different and unexpected which isn't a bad thing; and it certainly jolted everyone awake!); and the DWTMK/Carpet Crawlers was a previously-tried version.....well, what if the Fading Lights section they did segued into Carpet Crawlers? Would that have worked?

It would certainly have put two really poignant songs together as one 'piece'.

(For what it's worth, I'd always found Carpet Crawlers a bit of a weird encore / closer...up until the last shows where it really worked well. A really poignant way to end the last shows).

• Ok, a totally random thought that I can't get out of my head, so I'll share it.....the Fading Lights "BAM" segue into Cinema Show certainly split opinion on this tour (mainly as it was something different and unexpected which isn't a bad thing; and it certainly jolted everyone awake!); and the DWTMK/Carpet Crawlers was a previously-tried version.....well, what if the Fading Lights section they did segued into Carpet Crawlers? Would that have worked?

It would certainly have put two really poignant songs together as one 'piece'.

(For what it's worth, I'd always found Carpet Crawlers a bit of a weird encore / closer...up until the last shows where it really worked well. A really poignant way to end the last shows).

For me the medleys work best when there's contrast in moods between the sections. I actually thought the idea of Fading Lights into Cinema Show was a good one, its just that the join was a bit clunky. They probably should of done a small part of the Fading Lights instrumental before transitioning into Cinema Show.

• For me the medleys work best when there's contrast in moods between the sections. I actually thought the idea of Fading Lights into Cinema Show was a good one, its just that the join was a bit clunky. They probably should of done a small part of the Fading Lights instrumental before transitioning into Cinema Show.

Or they could have played Unquiet Slumbers For The Sleepers... With Fading LIghts in E Major, it works actually...