[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• just listening to You Might Recall...having seen Nick play, think he could have really powered his way through this one, especially the way the drums were booming at the o2....wishful thinking of course!

• just listening to You Might Recall...having seen Nick play, think he could have really powered his way through this one, especially the way the drums were booming at the o2....wishful thinking of course!

Love listening and drumming that song!
    A good alternative for me would be (from a drum perspective) to have some kind of workshop. Maybe a video or something else recorded, where PC explains how he did certain stuff and Nick playing.
    There is some stuff on the web, but it's not very well or in-depth explained. But yeah, wishful thinking.

Software dev, drummer, audiophile and a HUGE PC and Genesis fan.

• Ok, a thread like this for a band like Genesis I expect will have highly inflamed diversions like the page above. To be honest, I'm surprised it's not worse.

OT: my topmost wish for the tour is that they play different songs each night, so they cover more of their vast, rich catalogue over the course of the tour. I accept this is very unlikely. If I was going to daydream (edit: for the show I'm going to attend), I could imagine them opening with Eleventh Earl of Mar for the first time on the tour, filling their rotating B side slot with Feeding the Fire, and using the 'unfinished business' section - a new innovation in between the Old Medley and Turn It On Again where they spend twenty minutes playing some songs they never played on prior tours - for playing Seven Stones (for the third time this tour) and Anything She Does (for the fourth time this tour). And then the random audience shout, where they play a track generated from an audience poll on the night, would be Chamber of 32 Doors. These elements, like celestial bodies, orbit the sun of setlist staples (Domino, Home By The Sea, Mama, IT etc) and everyone has a ball.

Aaaaaahhhh that felt good.

Taylor Swift stole my idea! She has a "surprise section" bit in her show apparently where she plays songs she hasn't played before, and doesn't repeat songs that she's played in that section before.

Genesis could have gotten there first if only they'd listened 😆.

• Taylor Swift stole my idea! She has a "surprise section" bit in her show apparently where she plays songs she hasn't played before, and doesn't repeat songs that she's played in that section before.

Quite. From a fan's perspective, this is brilliant stuff.

However she seems a lot fonder of her whole catalogue, in contrast to some chaps we could mention.

• Taylor Swift stole my idea! She has a "surprise section" bit in her show apparently where she plays songs she hasn't played before, and doesn't repeat songs that she's played in that section before.

Other bands I recall doing similar: REM in 2003, each gig featured a mini album showcase section about halfway into the set, where they'd do 4 or 5 tracks from a different album, often delving quite far back. Radiohead in 2012, doing an obscure old b-side each gig, changing the choices around.

Abandon all reason

• Other bands I recall doing similar: REM in 2003, each gig featured a mini album showcase section about halfway into the set, where they'd do 4 or 5 tracks from a different album, often delving quite far back. Radiohead in 2012, doing an obscure old b-side each gig, changing the choices around.

Well, I guess I can't accuse them of stealing my idea.

• Didn't Elvis Costello have a Wheel of Songs on one tour, where he would spin it and then play whatever came up?

The challenge for Genesis is that their songs are hard to do off the cuff. Most are complicated enough to require a fair bit of rehearsal and they are also coordinated with visuals that require preplanning. For artists that play straightforward songs with straightforward visuals, it is much easier to mix up the setlist.

• Didn't Elvis Costello have a Wheel of Songs on one tour, where he would spin it and then play whatever came up?

The challenge for Genesis is that their songs are hard to do off the cuff. Most are complicated enough to require a fair bit of rehearsal and they are also coordinated with visuals that require preplanning. For artists that play straightforward songs with straightforward visuals, it is much easier to mix up the setlist.

The wheel of songs things sounds cool.

For Genesis, I always figured they could have done it by dropping the visuals out, or curtailing it to something more generic for the duration of the different song. Totally agree they couldn't have played any song on a whim given the complexity. Anyway, they did what they did, and I wish they could do more of it because I miss them now, but they can't and won't.

He did.

Bowie and of course PG presaged tours with invitations to fans to suggest songs. On rare occasions Radiohead have done an "any requests?" segment during gigs. Much as PG did during a very early gig played to one person, according to Phillips.

Abandon all reason