Peter Gabriel is working on new music again

• Official Post

... finally.

He responded to an article in THE TIMES and reveals he's working on a new track

full story:

https://www.genesis-news.com/n…g-on-a-new-song-n653.html

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Appropriate he should respond to a piece by Phillip Collins.

It's likely this is just the latest in a series of standalone tracks in the mould of I'm Amazing rather than part of a journey towards an album but of course I could be wrong.

Abandon all reason

• It doesn't take as long as this to write an album. The length of time since UP is the worst kind of indulgence. Maybe I'm just annoyed with him because I know he's capable of greatness (and I'm Amazing was not great).

• Maybe he's not Amazed anymore....

...by the whole music biz thing?

But his career has never been dictated by the current trends of the business. Remember all the grandstanding he did in his letter to the press when he left Genesis? How hard he tried to appear as someone who existed outside the corporate and increasingly business-like world of the professional musician. I'm sure he hoped it would gain him street cred but really he's no less a part of the business than anyone else who earns money from making music.

• A track. I mean - one? Wow ....

seriously, it's completely up to him what to do - but a new album would be nice. At least one more album with new music. He must have loads of tracks by now.

some are wise ... and some otherwise

• A track. I mean - one? Wow ....

seriously, it's completely up to him what to do - but a new album would be nice. At least one more album with new music. He must have loads of tracks by now.

As I understand it, it's never actually up to the artist what they should do. They're controlled by the muse and a bunch of other influences (the need to perform, the need to prove themselves, the need for acceptance et al) over which they have no control. Artists create, even if it doesn't pay the bills. They just do it.

Gabriel has always been slow to come up with the goods - one of the reasons he left Genesis was he didn't like being creative to a deadline and he felt he was losing control over his art ("tours being planned in advance" as he told Hugh Fielder in The Book Of Genesis) - and he's become slower over the years. Personally, I think it's hurt his material; there were some good tracks on UP but they'd been bled dry of any feeling of warmth or spontaneity because of the years and years of tinkering and layering.