General Info about Gigs in times of the Corona Pandemic

• Christian

Changed the title of the thread from “Genesis Info about Gigs in times of the Corona Pandemic” to “General Info about Gigs in times of the Corona Pandemic”.
  • Thanks for this summary. Sad says for music lovers, but the bigger picture is obviously what we should be concerned about

stay healthy everybody

... make tomorrow today!

• I wonder if any of the bigger shows will happen this year. I don't see Steve touring and I also don't see the Genesis tour happen. What do you think? Will there be a chance to see the guys this year or not?

... make tomorrow today!

• I wonder if any of the bigger shows will happen this year. I don't see Steve touring and I also don't see the Genesis tour happen. What do you think? Will there be a chance to see the guys this year or not?

My guess is they won't happen as normal, if they happen at all. I wonder if smaller gigs with point of care testing at the door, masks, distancing etc might be possible. Or maybe even an immunity pass to get in. If I'm right, the question for a band like genesis will be whether to bother or wait.

If they really wanted to, I'm sure they could find somewhere in east Europe, Brazil or maybe a republican controlled US state where they could put on an old style gig. But I can't see them doing that!

Very doubtful. It's unlikely we'll see a return to large events like gigs for at least a year.

Abandon all reason

• ...though there are drive-in gigs happening from next month.

how exactly will this work?, a good idea but are you expected to sit in your car for the full performance?. What if nature calls etc?, also I imagine the sound quality sat in your car won’t be that brilliant and what if your a passenger in the back seat!. Move your head I can’t see etc. At least they are trying though to put something on!.

I can imagine die hard fans getting there 10 hours early before the gates open and a queue of cars forming to get optimum position.

• how exactly will this work?, a good idea but are you expected to sit in your car for the full performance?. What if nature calls etc?, also I imagine the sound quality sat in your car won’t be that brilliant and what if your a passenger in the back seat!. Move your head I can’t see etc. At least they are trying though to put something on!.

I can imagine die hard fans getting there 10 hours early before the gates open and a queue of cars forming to get optimum position.

From what I've gathered, no you don't have to sit in your car for the whole show. Each car slot has space to either stand next to it or bring a folding chair and sit. Which hopefully takes care of the issue regarding passengers in the rear seat!

The only artist I've seen listed doing a drive-in tour that I'd be interested in so far is KT Tunstall (even so, I don't think I'll be going) so I checked out her tour details to see what else I could glean. There are two zones, one is a premium zone where you're guaranteed a slot in the first 3 rows from the stage, with dedicated facilities (toilets, concessions) for that zone, as well as priority entrance/exit points. Then there's a standard zone which I assume is everything from 4th row back. Maximum 300 vehicles. It'll presumably be spaces allocated in sequence on arrival - can you imagine the hassle that might ensue if it were pre-booked slots and the car in the middle of row B arrives late! Though I suppose depending on the physical organisation of it, it might not be any different from a large municipal car park where the same factors apply.

The prices are listed for 'car for 2' which is £56 for standard and £84 for premium, with prices then ascending up to 'car for 7' and it's clear that it works out at less per person the bigger the car.

Looking at the KTT itinerary, it's a mix of aerodromes, resort arenas, farmland, showgrounds, which is logical. A bit misleadingly, the gig listed as 'London' is a farm outside Potter's Bar in Hertfordshire! I suppose these sorts of spaces with relatively easy access tat won't cause traffic jams are in short supply in urban outer London itself. My nearest one would be Edinburgh and I'd have to push Mrs Backdrifter to drive us down there from the Highlands (I don't drive). She doesn't mind KTT but a 160-mile 3.5hr drive would be a bit much (members from the US and Canada are thinking - "What's the problem?!").

There's a strict policy of not bringing your own food and drink, so a picnic basket is not permitted but how would they check - will they be inspecting cars and opening the boots?! If so that will also preclude sneaking in an extra person who's willing to lie in the boot for the journey.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• These gigs have been cancelled now. Seems a shame, as they sound pretty low risk.

So I see. An exlanation is given here.

Yes that is a pity. The first glimmer of a possibility that live music could return, quashed. I suppose it's fair enough to pull them as quickly as this, before any further arrangements were made, even allowing that a fair bit of organisation would've already been expended.

Those were going up to within 2 months of the Genesis gigs starting. As has been said, there is of course a lot involved in cancelling a major tour like that but the postponement/cancellation announcement can only be a matter of time.

Abandon all reason

• So I see. An exlanation is given here.

Yes that is a pity. The first glimmer of a possibility that live music could return, quashed. I suppose it's fair enough to pull them as quickly as this, before any further arrangements were made, even allowing that a fair bit of organisation would've already been expended.

Those were going up to within 2 months of the Genesis gigs starting. As has been said, there is of course a lot involved in cancelling a major tour like that but the postponement/cancellation announcement can only be a matter of time.

How much time I wonder? Steve Hackett's tour has a lot of dates, but has been re-scheduled for 2021.

• More and more it seems to me there won't be/shouldn't be any events like a concert until this thing is over. I can't believe how the world has been turned on it's head but it really has and this is not the same planet we were living on six months ago. We have a season of influenza coming up. Now is the time to cement any gains made and prepare for the worst (while hoping for the best).

• More and more it seems to me there won't be/shouldn't be any events like a concert until this thing is over.

I'm not convinced it will be over any time soon, or possibly ever. I think we'll be living with this virus to some extent for the foreseeable future. Maybe not with general spread like we've had this year, but possibly with local spikes and lockdowns.

Abandon all reason

• More and more it seems to me there won't be/shouldn't be any events like a concert until this thing is over. I can't believe how the world has been turned on it's head but it really has and this is not the same planet we were living on six months ago. We have a season of influenza coming up. Now is the time to cement any gains made and prepare for the worst (while hoping for the best).

I agree. All the more reason to give refunds to people for booked events, if that is what they wish.

• I'm not convinced it will be over any time soon, or possibly ever. I think we'll be living with this virus to some extent for the foreseeable future. Maybe not with general spread like we've had this year, but possibly with local spikes and lockdowns.

This is possible. There are so many unknowns with regards vaccine and immunity that make it difficult to say it will be over in a year or whatever. Not to mention uptake if they can develop an effective vaccine. I worry that local spikes will not be controllable with local lockdowns however - unless they are Chinese style lockdowns, which are beyond most societies for several reasons. This scenario would leave us in a difficult spot.