Corona Virus - Stay Safe

• Been shopping today.. The shops have arrows on the floor to show the direction you need to walk as an aid to staying safe. I'm sure Genesis fans are all intelligent enough to know what that means but it does confused a lot of people. I think the shops should add explanations at the entrances to tell people walk in the direction of the pointy end of the arrow. I tried telling a few people , you know just to helpful and keep myself as safe as I can , They all made strange grunting noises. In reply .

• With this pandemic, I have learned many things that I never had considered or that I took for granted living in North America. For example, I mentioned on another forum that for fans be able to go see concerts again, it would have to be in a "drive-in" open air theater setting. A Scottish fan responded that he was 65 years old and had never driven a car and adapted to public transport all his life. I found this very unusual and surprising, I thought he was joking but other Brit fans that same age responded saying they had never driven a car either.

So my moral of story is that not all societies are the same, in Canada we take for granted driving as something normal but I see it as a necessity to shop for groceries, travel short distances or only on weekends. Using the bus for everything must be very hard and more so for a 55-70 year old. But hey, they manage in the UK so why can't we do the same in America instead of polluting our planet so much?

• uk are aWith this pandemic, I have learned many things that I never had considered or that I took for granted living in North America. For example, I mentioned on another forum that for fans be able to go see concerts again, it would have to be in a "drive-in" open air theater setting. A Scottish fan responded that he was 65 years old and had never driven a car and adapted to public transport all his life. I found this very unusual and surprising, I thought he was joking but other Brit fans that same age responded saying they had never driven a car either.

So my moral of story is that not all societies are the same, in Canada we take for granted driving as something normal but I see it as a necessity to shop for groceries, travel short distances or only on weekends. Using the bus for everything must be very hard and more so for a 55-70 year old. But hey, they manage in the UK so why can't we do the same in America instead of polluting our planet so much?

In fairness, I think non-drivers in the UK are in the minority. Lots of older people, like my mother, never drove as they couldn't afford a car, but in 1970, my mum and dad took the plunge with a 9 year old 100E Ford Popular. (I drove it, age 12, the same year, on private land!) They were never car-less again, until dad died in 1996. My mum did try learning, but was too nervous to do it. I suspect a lot of older people were like that, much like they are now with computers and smartphones.

There are over 38 million cars, with a population of around 61 million, but many of those have 2 drivers in the household, so access to cars is around 81%, 4 out of every 5 people. More info: https://www.racfoundation.org/motoring-faqs/mobility#a1

Ian

There is a church bell

That rings on the hour

Filling the streets

Stopping the world awhile

• Well today I must say I’m a little concerned, watching Sky News and seeing probably 50,000 people protesting in London today (maybe more) isn’t right in the current circumstances. No matter how much we feel revulsion and anger over the murder of George Floyd (and I do feel anger, although I’m white I have black mother and half of my heritage is from West Africa on my mums side). They shouldn’t have protested In such ridiculous quantities and so close together. Do they think they are immune to the virus or something!!. It’s still there and for sure some of those will get it in that crowd, travel back to where ever they come from and give it to others and we will be back to square one again . Nobody has listened at all to the governments requests. I’m fuming !. Ok protest , show your anger and empathy with black citizens Worldwide but gathering in massive crowds like that is just asking for trouble.

• Here in the states, these idiots have been protesting day and night for 2 weeks. There's a curfew that they've never acknowledged. The cops are useless. They stand there and do nothing. When they do exert power it's to arrest some innocent reporter or knock to the ground some young teenage girl...who happen to be black. The looters are allowed to burn businesses to the ground and destroy the livelihoods of an unknown number of individuals. The last time this happened was in 1992 in Los Angeles after the Rodney King beating. Businesses were destroyed, neighborhoods burned to the ground. I was ashamed to be American then and I'm ashamed to be American now. All this on top of having to live under the worst government leadership ever in this country. Trump is only concerned with holding office, has denounced the pandemic, saying "We are back!" and all his followers have opened their businesses, no face masks, overcrowding, unbelievable. Okay, a bad cop murdered a black man in front of the world. That doesn't give you the right to endanger the rest of us by protesting in great numbers during a pandemic. I stay home, have groceries delivered and avoid going anywhere because it's the right thing to do. I believe the cops need to enforce our laws with the power that's afforded them, not to stand helplessly on the sidelines while criminals and thugs run rampant in our streets.

• It just cannot be correct in the current circumstances, why don’t the masses protesting just think for a minute about the wider implications of those actions!. Such massive protests give the virus the chance (a massive opportunity as I see it) to come back with a vengeance. Im all for people being peaceful and using their democratic right to show solidarity but it’s just wrong at this time. Apparently reporters who cover such events have never seen crowds so packed together and huge.

What about those at risk here!, don’t they deserve to be considered by the protestors!, what about the NHS in a few weeks potentially?. The government will blame today as a catalyst of any future heartaches and pain.

If coronavirus had intelligence it wouldn’t believe its luck!.

I ask myself this question?,

if George Floyd had of been murdered two months ago at the first height of this epidemic here in the Uk - what would have happened then?, would 50,000 people have broke the lockdown and protested then?. What would the authorities have done in response if they did?.

it was wrong terribly wrong what happened to that poor man and showed just how low some humans can get, but isn’t protesting at this time wrong to?.

Edited 4 times, last by Wayne ().

• Agreed, protesting is wrong at the moment, and frankly, after a day or two, pointless anyway. We get it! Now lets knuckle down and address the immediate issues. First being, get Trump out. It's not long to the elections, time for all his opponents to make sure the ballot box works this time. After that, we can get on with addressing the issues under a real president, or as near as we are likely to get.

Can't help wondering which Trump will do if he loses, and still has several weeks in office till the inauguration. Just walk away immediately post election results, or go on a wrecking spree?

Incidentally, was initially shocked at the 57 officers who resigned "in solidarity" with the 2 sacked for knocking the old man over, but then came to realise it would be good if all the useless, racist "officers" in the force did the same. They'd be gone, and we'd know who they are. 57 down, it's a start!

Ian

There is a church bell

That rings on the hour

Filling the streets

Stopping the world awhile

• Can't help wondering which Trump will do if he loses, and still has several weeks in office till the inauguration. Just walk away immediately post election results, or go on a wrecking spree?

While I am sadly still not convinced he won't win again, if he doesn't I wouldn't put it past him to shriek and screech about it being rigged and refuse to concede.

Abandon all reason

• While I am sadly still not convinced he won't win again, if he doesn't I wouldn't put it past him to shriek and screech about it being rigged and refuse to concede.

I've entertained such a scenario in my mind, but, if he tried it, it would only have a temporary effect. He can bitch and moan (as he always does) all he wanted to, but once the electoral vote is certified by Congress, at noon on Inauguration Day, the President-Elect is the President, with or without even the oath being taken. Trump could be removed forcefully then, if that's what he really wanted to happen to him.

The "election is rigged" strategy would eventually have to have proof, which of course there would be none, since provable electoral fraud in the US is virtually non-existent.

Now, his doing as much damage, document burning/burying, etc. as he could after he loses, along with AG Bill Barr, that is a frightening prospect. Add his resigning from office before Xmas and having Pence pardon him for his very many Federal crimes, well, it could be awful to witness. (Keep in mind that he would still be on the hook for his many crimes in NY state - presidents can't pardon people for state crimes, only for Federal ones. So, even here, there is a silver lining of sorts.)

Unlike 4 years ago, I don't think he can cheat enough/have enough people cheat on his behalf enough to be elected. But, of course, he will double down on being completely heinous until then...

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• 100% agree with you. I have a friend here in Coventry who went to the local protest and my nephew in London went there. I have had a go at both of them. My nephew said it was safe . They were handing out masks! I hope the hander outers were 100% sure they didn't have Cv19 or we'll really be fucked.My nephew really believes he is saving lives as so many lives are taken due to injustice and his girlfriend has told me it's a revolution and they only had a small window of time to act!! At 30 they shod know better by now

• I'm very disappointed at Trump's leadership over these riots involving black people. Though violence has happened through this, it's because police forces are provoking these demonstrators.

I've seen a few videos of black people being discriminated because of their colour. Another video has been shown where a black man was tasered innocently by police. Despite these riots, I hope George Floyd's death changes things how black people are treated.

Despite these riots some groups have kept social distancing.

Trump video shows him holding a bible in front of a church saying this is my favourite book, while using the police force to disrupt peaceful protestors. Media asked Trump what his favourite passage was :?:, he could not answer the question. They asked him again do you prefer the Old or New Testament :?:... Again he could not answer. All he could say was all passages are good and both New and Old are equally good. :D

Trump's reaction will not get him voters after this, as a leader, he should be offering comfort, not threatening violence. At least Boris Johnson made a press conference offering support for the protesters, but did not agree on the vandalism done in Bristol(UK), removing a statute of the leading trade dealer of black people.

• Am I alone in starting to feel a more acute pang of panic about the pandemic?

I don't know why now, four or six months in, I should be worrying more and not less about things that have been obvious from the start, but I am. Maybe it's a combination of recent events in the southern states, the ongoing uncertainty about how bad the illness could be for me or my family, the tiny level of exposure in the population still (really: 1 to 10% at most, I believe closer to 1. So this thing still has 90% or more to rip through), the huge uncertainty about a vaccine (will it work, will it be safe, will enough people take it) and the dawning realization that this is a marathon not a sprint.

My parents have not seen my newborn son, and are unlikely to until at least next year. My seven year old daughter had a cough two days ago so we had to get her tested and until the result came back she had to stay by herself in her room. It took nearly 48 hours and sucked (it was negative! She still has a cough! Was it a false negative?! FUCK!!). These are totally personal issues and if I have them many many others must. And of course if there's a second wave I fear the impact on my, and everyone's livelihood. We will get through this as we must, like going through a tunnel. For some reason I worry more now than before about what this year to two of getting through the tunnel will be like. I hope it is not fits and starts of semi/pseudo normal and lockdown weirdness.

• Am I alone in starting to feel a more acute pang of panic about the pandemic?

I don't know why now, four or six months in, I should be worrying more and not less about things that have been obvious from the start, but I am. Maybe it's a combination of recent events in the southern states, the ongoing uncertainty about how bad the illness could be for me or my family, the tiny level of exposure in the population still (really: 1 to 10% at most, I believe closer to 1. So this thing still has 90% or more to rip through), the huge uncertainty about a vaccine (will it work, will it be safe, will enough people take it) and the dawning realization that this is a marathon not a sprint.

My parents have not seen my newborn son, and are unlikely to until at least next year. My seven year old daughter had a cough two days ago so we had to get her tested and until the result came back she had to stay by herself in her room. It took nearly 48 hours and sucked (it was negative! She still has a cough! Was it a false negative?! FUCK!!). These are totally personal issues and if I have them many many others must. And of course if there's a second wave I fear the impact on my, and everyone's livelihood. We will get through this as we must, like going through a tunnel. For some reason I worry more now than before about what this year to two of getting through the tunnel will be like. I hope it is not fits and starts of semi/pseudo normal and lockdown weirdness.

No you're not alone.

I'm from UK and feel the same. But seemingly in a minority It's gone right down here right now but lockdown more or less finishes today . So many people seem not care and not bothered they're going mad . over here. I look at how it's rising in the world. It'll come back here .

• No you're not alone.

I'm from UK and feel the same. But seemingly in a minority It's gone right down here right now but lockdown more or less finishes today . So many people seem not care and not bothered they're going mad . over here. I look at how it's rising in the world. It'll come back here .

I feel the same too. The figures haven't gone down altogether, and the government have stopped releasing them daily. The R number has risen too. This information doesn't fit in with their plans I guess. Leicester has taken a backward step with lockdown, and more places could follow soon. The consequences of lockdown easing hasn't had time to show any effects yet. Should really be bigger gaps between each stage. It's all about money though isn't it? I'm so sick of all the people not taking things seriously too!

• Well... Trump has it, obviously. Throws up a lot of volatile hypothetical scenarios for the election in the US. Could pence end up in command? If he got it too, pelosi would be in charge. If Trump gets very sick, how does it affect the legitimacy of the election, given that people have already voted? If he recovers, will he change his tenor about the virus or be worse than ever?

It yielded some funny quips online though. "Thoughts and prayers are with the virus at this difficult time..."

"Jubilation as the world tests negative for sympathy..."

"RBG has successfully argued her first case before God"