Corona Virus - Stay Safe

• Very depressed sad and desperate right now. My Father in Law and best friend died at the age of 83 on the morning of new years Eve . Robbed of his last few years of life by Covid. Having shielded more or less all year and shielding at home for weeks had to go hospital with a fixable heart problem and caught Covid whilst there. Dead 8 days after he tested positive. Am very angry at world. Hopeless govt and selfish stupid people to blame . It need not be as bad as this. I'm a support worker and have cared for a learning disabled man who had it and four staff went down with it. All survived. Am still negative so will visit Mrs Farmer tomorrow who has been isolating with her vulnerable mum for over a fortnight since her dad went in . I think the neighbours have been gossiping! All we wanted was for us all to survive this. It s bollocks. My parents in their 90s struggling with isolation all year , getting the vaccine on Sunday..One good thing. My mate , my wife's dad has just missed out..

sorry for your loss, I’m very sad to read such a harrowing piece like that. My thoughts are with you at this time. Take care.

• Very depressed sad and desperate right now. My Father in Law and best friend died at the age of 83 on the morning of new years Eve . Robbed of his last few years of life by Covid. Having shielded more or less all year and shielding at home for weeks had to go hospital with a fixable heart problem and caught Covid whilst there. Dead 8 days after he tested positive. Am very angry at world. Hopeless govt and selfish stupid people to blame . It need not be as bad as this. I'm a support worker and have cared for a learning disabled man who had it and four staff went down with it. All survived. Am still negative so will visit Mrs Farmer tomorrow who has been isolating with her vulnerable mum for over a fortnight since her dad went in . I think the neighbours have been gossiping! All we wanted was for us all to survive this. It s bollocks. My parents in their 90s struggling with isolation all year , getting the vaccine on Sunday..One good thing. My mate , my wife's dad has just missed out..

That's desperately sad. I'm very sorry for your loss. There will be brighter days ahead but this is a dark time.

• Today, I can honestly say I'm ashamed to be an American. God save our way of life. We will never be the same. Acts of homegrown terrorism on our federal government, instigated by the President of the United States. This is treason - attempting to overturn a democratic election that he lost by more than 7 million votes. They used to hang criminals like this for much less. I hope our national Guard and military personnel are able to arrest as many of these people as possible, including Trump and his cabinet who have licked his ass for the past 4 years.

It may be very hard to go back. There are two huge groups of people who "lack a shared reality". Neither side can possibly persuade the other to their way of thinking. The gap in the middle creates the space for today's shameful events (perpetrated by the shameless). I am more and more reminded of the Bill Clinton quote - there is nothing wrong with america that cannot be fixed by what is right with america - which I used to believe, and which I no longer do.

I am so sorry to hear this, Farmer. My condolences to you & Mrs Farmer & her mother.

This is very sad news. I'm just now reading this. I am so very sorry your father-in-law and good friend has died of this disease. Thoughts and prayers to you and your wife and family. Life is too short as it is. Let alone having to worry about all this virus crap. I agree with you. Too many idiots out there. It's time our governments started investigating whether or not this was germ warfare.

So sorry to hear this. Thinking of you and sending vibes...

• This image may predict what's to come in other European countries. We know the mutation was found in the UK approx. 4 weeks before it was found elsewhere, so it may get worse quickly elsewhere again.

Stay safe and keep looking after you and your loved ones!

• That chart is a real eye-opener. The mutation is here in the states now too. Due to the increase in cases, in California, they've started bringing in freezer trailers to hold the bodies of COVID victims. On average, more than 180 people a day are dying of the coronavirus in Los Angeles.

• This image may predict what's to come in other European countries. We know the mutation was found in the UK approx. 4 weeks before it was found elsewhere, so it may get worse quickly elsewhere again.

Stay safe and keep looking after you and your loved ones!

It will come to other countries, not by being imported, but because you are "growing your own". These mutations are normal behaviour for viruses of this type, and we already know the UK and South African variants evolved separately. Despite this, foreign travel should still be curtailed for now simply to reduce the overall risk of spreading, and the spreading of mutations.

The UK only found it first because we were looking for it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55413666

https://www.livescience.com/uk-variant-coronavirus-faq.html

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4857

Ian

Works with chess - Not with life

• Yeah, Ireland's in terrible shape. A couple of weeks ago 700 cases was very high and 7k cases was beyond incomprehensible. It exploded so fast. Can only hope the next 2-4 weeks as hospitalizations and deaths follow that scenes reminiscent of Bergamo don't emerge. But it doesn't look good.

• We also had far too many deaths here in Germany, sometimes more than 1,000 per day.

I just hope we will all manage to vaccine enough people as soon as possible.

I am also working for a festival, which is scheduled for July in Germany. You can imagine that we are of course holding our breath.

• I got the second shot of moderna today. So far so good but my arm is absolutely killing me. The shot didn't hurt but a few hours later I noticed what felt like a bruise, and it's gotten steadily worse. Hopefully a sign of a good local immune response! Apparently my cells in that area are churning out spike protein which is a bit of a weird feeling psychologically.

• I got the second shot of moderna today. So far so good but my arm is absolutely killing me. The shot didn't hurt but a few hours later I noticed what felt like a bruise, and it's gotten steadily worse. Hopefully a sign of a good local immune response! Apparently my cells in that area are churning out spike protein which is a bit of a weird feeling psychologically.

Ok, so I had a ROUGH night. My body felt like a solid block of ice and limbs were shaking uncontrollably. Paracetamol took the edge off, and I feel better now but I feel like I ran a marathon. Arm pain getting better.

• Ok, so I had a ROUGH night. My body felt like a solid block of ice and limbs were shaking uncontrollably. Paracetamol took the edge off, and I feel better now but I feel like I ran a marathon. Arm pain getting better.

Yikes. But glad you've had it and that the side-effects are wearing off.

People I know have had Pfizer and AZ, they've had a 'heavy'-feeling arm and extreme tiredness, with the worst being a friend who had that plus headaches and nausea.

Abandon all reason

• Yikes. But glad you've had it and that the side-effects are wearing off.

People I know have had Pfizer and AZ, they've had a 'heavy'-feeling arm and extreme tiredness, with the worst being a friend who had that plus headaches and nausea.

My mother, 98 1/2, had the first jab last week, Pfizer, and had a slightly sore arm and headache for a few hours. Worth the effects, though!

Ian

• Yikes. But glad you've had it and that the side-effects are wearing off.

Yes, definitely grateful to have gotten it. I spent today feeling like I had been hit by a truck though. It was - and I do not say this lightly - like a very bad man-flu. Seems like there's a wide range of experiences out there.

I heard of someone today who got something called tenosynovitis in one hand, so bad she couldn't use the touch screen on her phone. How can something like that target just one hand? Everything about this virus is so damn strange! I've heard of plenty others who've had no reaction at all.

• Yes, definitely grateful to have gotten it. I spent today feeling like I had been hit by a truck though. It was - and I do not say this lightly - like a very bad man-flu. Seems like there's a wide range of experiences out there.

I heard of someone today who got something called tenosynovitis in one hand, so bad she couldn't use the touch screen on her phone. How can something like that target just one hand? Everything about this virus is so damn strange! I've heard of plenty others who've had no reaction at all.

The hand on the injected arm? Could be they hit a nerve.

Ian