Corona Virus - Stay Safe

• I work from home. The reason I was furloughed was because the hospital I work for in Pennsylvania was rescheduling all their elective surgeries, which is my bread and butter as a remote inpatient medical coder. The hospital was only admitting coronavirus patients and made the decision to let a few of us go temporarily. The state of Pennsylvania is starting to open up and the hospital has begun admitting patients for their surgeries. I am at little to no risk of catching the virus working from home. Looking forward to getting back to work.

As long as it isn't classified information, where is the hospital in PA? (I live in PA and I was just curious.)

In any case, I'm glad you are back to work. Be sure to listen to lots of music while working, and earn that income! :thumbup:

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• As long as it isn't classified information, where is the hospital in PA? (I live in PA and I was just curious.)

In any case, I'm glad you are back to work. Be sure to listen to lots of music while working, and earn that income! :thumbup:

I work for Wilkes-Barre General Hospital. I listen to music all day long while I'm working. Funny that since I've been furloughed I haven't found time to listen to any music. I'm looking forward to getting back to the daily grind and all the music too ;):thumbup:

• I work from home. The reason I was furloughed was because the hospital I work for in Pennsylvania was rescheduling all their elective surgeries, which is my bread and butter as a remote inpatient medical coder. The hospital was only admitting coronavirus patients and made the decision to let a few of us go temporarily. The state of Pennsylvania is starting to open up and the hospital has begun admitting patients for their surgeries. I am at little to no risk of catching the virus working from home. Looking forward to getting back to work.

Oh well, in that case I hope you're comfortable with your own safety arrangements in your house!

Abandon all reason

• I work for Wilkes-Barre General Hospital. I listen to music all day long while I'm working. Funny that since I've been furloughed I haven't found time to listen to any music. I'm looking forward to getting back to the daily grind and all the music too ;):thumbup:

Funny isn't it, I know lots of people who listen to music while working whereas I absolutely cannot do that. It's a distraction and makes me want to just listen to the music. I also feel it kind of 'reduces' the music, if that makes sense. Music is a pleasure to me and I like to make a point of sitting back to listen to it as an activity in its own right.

I suppose I could try putting on an Eno ambient album, several of which I have, as they're designed to be a sort of aural wallpaper. But even then I suspect I'd probably still stop what I'm doing, listen to it and drift off!

I do occasionally put earphones in and listen to music while vacuuming - which I am in fact about to do.

Abandon all reason

• When I'm at the office, I'm usually the last one to leave, so I will take advantage of that hour or two of solitude to play a CD or two.

One of the pleasures of working from home for me the last two months has been picking out things to listen to and playing a wide selection of music throughout most of the day.

• I do that as well - it makes vacuuming at least a little bit pleasurable. ;)

Of all indoor chores vacuuming is just about the least irksome for me. I really can't stand any kind of gardening although lawn-mowing is the least annoying (can we please just take all I Know What I Like references as read?).

Abandon all reason

• What's everyone been doing during lockdown? Who's working from home? And those who aren't, what have you been up to?

The irony for me is that I usually work from home, doing consultancy for UK colleges and universities. But since lockdown, I've had no active projects so while my partner has taken over the office to work from home I've been - well, initially ill for 3 weeks with the virus but since then, household/garden chores :(, catching up with reading, tryng to crack through the mountain of recordings on the tv, listening to music a bit more - which I should really use more as an opportunity to hear some new stuff - and taking my regulation 1-hour walk each day, which has led me to explore some areas very nearby but which I didn't know. We came across a wooded glen with a burn running through it, which is home to some interesting birdlife and the very rare red squirrel. The glen is manintained by the local community and is beautiful. Isn't that great?

I've also been working on a project I'm getting increasingly excited about the more I do on it. It might come to nothing (indeed, almost certainly won't) but will still prove to have been very enjoyable. But I don't want to say more about it in case I "jinx" it! Absurd, I know, but there you go.

Abandon all reason

• I work for Wilkes-Barre General Hospital. I listen to music all day long while I'm working. Funny that since I've been furloughed I haven't found time to listen to any music. I'm looking forward to getting back to the daily grind and all the music too ;):thumbup:

Thanks - I live closer to Philly, so we'll be one of the last areas to have the restrictions lifted.

Yes, Wilkes-Barre is a relatively remote area - the city it is often paired with (Scranton) is more the "big city" in that northeastern part of the state (really, neither are very large).

Have fun listening to music working! :thumbup:

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• I used to listen to music on my commute while reading. Now I don't commute... my music listening and reading have nose dived. It's odd, I theoretically have more time on my hands to devote to stuff I both want to do and need to do. But I fill my time with chores, doom scrolling online and worrying about what I'm not doing. To be fair, we have a new son who's not yet two weeks old as well as a school age kid who needs to be homeschooled AND a preschooler who needs... I don't know what. Hugs?Meaning myself and Mrs watcher are outnumbered!!

It's worth remembering occasionally that this is a truly extraordinary time. I read one opinion that work practices have changed more in the last two months than in the previous fifty years. Our great great grandchildren will see covid exhibits in museums and learn about it in history class. As such, a little extra self- forgiveness is a good thing for us all right now.

• I used to listen to music on my commute while reading. Now I don't commute... my music listening and reading have nose dived. It's odd, I theoretically have more time on my hands to devote to stuff I both want to do and need to do. But I fill my time with chores, doom scrolling online and worrying about what I'm not doing. To be fair, we have a new son who's not yet two weeks old as well as a school age kid who needs to be homeschooled AND a preschooler ...

Congrats on the new addition to your family.

When my wife and I had our kids, I quit my job to be a full-time dad. I did that for about seven years until they started school. I loved it and I certainly wasn't spending my days listening to tunes and reading classic novels. I was fully engaged with them and busy keeping the house in order.

So it's totally understandable in your circumstance with a young family, despite being at home why you'd have less time to be playing music and reading for pleasure.

• In Britain, Children are being brought to school.

Is this a fine for the parents if they decline this, for the welfare of their child. :?:

• In Britain, Children are being brought to school.

Is this a fine for the parents if they decline this, for the welfare of their child. :?:

No, there isn't a fine at this time. In fact, a lot of teachers don't want this return. It seems far too early. Supposed to be around early June, and I hope it doesn't happen.

• No, there isn't a fine at this time. In fact, a lot of teachers don't want this return. It seems far too early. Supposed to be around early June, and I hope it doesn't happen.

Meanwhile, private schools are returning in September which is apparently fine for them to do, further underlining the divide in UK society.

Education Secretary Gavin Williamson - "We owe it to our children to reopen schools" - except of course the aforementioned private schools, where no doubt many children of government ministers go.

Abandon all reason

• In Scotland the school year ends a little earlier at the end of June. From what I gather the thinking is there is no point opening up for one or two weeks in June, so i don't think they will open here until mid August.

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• School's out until September here in Massachusetts. They called it early which was kind of a relief, the writing had been on the wall anyway. Homeschooling is supplemented with zoom meetings and homework on a platform called seesaw.

Interestingly summer camps might be a go which brings up the dilemma of whether it's safe or not.

• For anyone in the UK or following UK news, you may know that today this country hit a new low in politics.

Following the revelation the PM's creepy psychotic adviser Dominic Cummings broke lockdown rules and twice (that we know of) drove over 200 miles between London and Durham while ill with the virus, many people have been very upset and angry that they sacrificed visiting loved ones, including dying parents, cancelled weddings, etc in order to follow rules partly set by Cummings himself. Now they have to process the fact he then broke those rules.

Then today it got worse. Johnson gave a briefing and instead of publicly criticising Cummings, possibly even sacking him, he backed him to the hilt and praised his "integrity". It was the most nauseating disgusting "fuck you" to the British public you can imagine. Confirmation - not that we needed it - that he is unfit to lead, and heads up a government that is completely detached and utterly uncaring, interested only in itself. It confirms they can do what they like and not care what the public thinks.

His own MPs and some cabinet members are horrified by his briefing and want Cummings sacked. Even fiercely pro-Tory commentators have now turned on him. Given how right-wing some of them are it's roughly the same as Fox turning on Trump. But it'll likely not make any difference.

It's been a depressing day, a bad one for the UK. Barring some miracle we seem lumbered with this repulsive government for another 4+years.

Abandon all reason

• Very sad commentary on world leaders, my friend. I pray every day that God will make these felons see what they are doing, and have already done, to the people they represent; entire nations on their knees. Johnson and Trump could choose to be heroes, but instead have shown conceit, poor decision making and the cowardly ability to lie continuously for the sake of partisan politics. All this during a worldwide pandemic, without any concern for all the lives that have been lost, and that we continue to lose each day. Neither men are patriotic in the least. These self righteous bastards need to hauled away in cuffs, sooner than later. This shit that we cannot charge a sitting President with a crime is absolute nonsense. I can only hope charges are brought against both men, and many in their cabinets, once they become private citizens.