Corona Virus - Stay Safe

• It makes me wonder what hold or knowledge has he got about Boris Johnson?

Many are speculating this same question, and it may be that he knows the location of a few buried bodies or cupboards with skeletons in. I think Johnson's primary reason for clinging on to him is what we've heard many times before, that he is lazy and doesn't do detail, and relies very heavily on DC for ideas and decisions. Consequently he'd be a bit lost without him.

Abandon all reason

• Well after great fanfare we can now have 6 people in our gardens!, it’s times like this when I wished I had a garden to sit in!!. I honestly don’t understand why they haven’t said nominate one family member Or loved one who doesn’t live with you who can come into your flat etc, one only and the same one no compromises!. I live alone my partner lives alone 100 miles away, we both only have small numbers of relatives and have religiously followed everything to the letter and will of course continue to do so. He hasn’t done anything for people such as us and it doesn’t seem it’s on the horizons or remotely anywhere near being announced!. I was feeling pleasantly optimistic before this afternoons press conference and now I feel as if there will be no change to the current situation for months. If I didn’t live alone it would be easier, I only have internet on my phone and they ain’t doing installs due to the pandemic so no FaceTime for me just 3G communication and chats on the telephone.

Edited 2 times, last by Wayne ().

• Well after great fanfare we can now have 6 people in our gardens!, it’s times like this when I wished I had a garden to sit in!!. I honestly don’t understand why they haven’t said nominate one family member Or loved one who doesn’t live with you who can come into your flat etc, one only and the same one no compromises!. I live alone my partner lives alone 100 miles away, we both only have small numbers of relatives and have religiously followed everything to the letter and will of course continue to do so. He hasn’t done anything for people such as us and it doesn’t seem it’s on the horizons or remotely anywhere near being announced!. I was feeling pleasantly optimistic before this afternoons press conference and now I feel as if there will be no change to the current situation for months. If I didn’t live alone it would be easier, I only have internet on my phone and they ain’t doing installs due to the pandemic so no FaceTime for me just 3G communication and chats on the telephone.

I feel very sorry for you. That sounds like a tough situation. I can only hope that an improvement comes sooner than later. Nominating family/friends to create a 'bubble' would make perfect sense to me.

I see places like NZ and Vietnam that have been universally (for the most part) praised for their response and can't help but feel like good governance has the potential to make such a difference in ordinary people's lives.

• We have done pretty well here in Australia - even with a conservative government I dislike. We have a population that is much more willing to follow government advice, be sensible and not scream about ' freedom' every five minutes (we don't have a Bill of Rights). Most of us were willing to help out our fellow citizens instead of demanding that we be allowed to do whatever we want, despite the risks. Our 101 deaths were greatly inflated by a cruise ship from which passengers were allowed to disembark without being fully checked.

It's interesting that Trump's attack on the platform which gave him so much power, only comes after they finally decided enough was enough about ONE TWEET. I have always thought that when conservatives yell about 'freedom of speech' they mean for themselves, not for anyone else.

• Latest affront to democracy here in the uk: the digital Parliament, set up to account for members not being able to attend in person due to cv19 regs, has been closed down by House Leader the odious Jacob Rees Mogg. Social distancing rules mean only 50 members can attend in person, meaning that 600 constituencies will go unrepresented as their members won't be able to attend digitally.

The basis of our democracy, effectively 92% prorogued by the government, with no attendance and no alternative means of voting. The spineless pliable Speaker has handed responsibility for all arrangements to the government, meaning the executive have power over the institution by which they are meant to be held accountable. Hardly anyone seems to be making an any noise about this.

I despair, I really really despair. This country is sliding into a festering lake of shit.

Abandon all reason

• I think it's about time the title of this thread was changed "whinging about politics" since it seems like it's strayed way off topic now. And for the record, that wouldn't include whining about Trump, since he is not a politician. He's just some rich git who has used his wealth to buy his way to the top job in a country whose political system seems to have forgotten to include some sort of qualifying period, like a minimum of x years as at least a senator or a governor.

The bizarre thing is the surprise some people seem to have at how he has turned out? What were you expecting? Some sort of realisation on his part that this wasn't just an opportunity to tick another box on his bucket list: Become President of the USA: tick!

Ian

There is a church bell

That rings on the hour

Filling the streets

Stopping the world awhile

• I think it's about time the title of this thread was changed "whinging about politics" since it seems like it's strayed way off topic now. And for the record, that wouldn't include whining about Trump, since he is not a politician. He's just some rich git who has used his wealth to buy his way to the top job in a country whose political system seems to have forgotten to include some sort of qualifying period, like a minimum of x years as at least a senator or a governor.

The bizarre thing is the surprise some people seem to have at how he has turned out? What were you expecting? Some sort of realisation on his part that this wasn't just an opportunity to tick another box on his bucket list: Become President of the USA: tick!

That's a shame you think people here are whinging. Certainly the UK and US governments' responses to the pandemic have exposed their shortcomings very starkly and that's what some here are commenting on, so I don't feel it's especially off-topic and I think we are making legitimate comments expressing concern and frustration. I'm saddened you consider that to be "whinging".

Abandon all reason

• Here's a change of cv19 subject for anyone else fed up of the politics comments.

I hate monkeys. Everyone always seems to find them so cute and funny but I think they are horrible little bastards that wouldn't hesitate to rob you of everything, pausing only to tear your entire face off. And here is some proof. God they're vile.

Abandon all reason

• Backdrifter, have a pint, observe the sunset and think of something beautiful while listening to the uplifting music of Genesis.

❤️

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• Backdrifter, have a pint, observe the sunset and think of something beautiful while listening to the uplifting music of Genesis.

❤️

I've just had a delicious coconut cod curry washed down with a cold vintage cider and listening to a live stream of Imogen Heap, but it's essentially in the spirit of what you said. Sunset is very late here in the Scottish Highlands but after the beautiful day we've had I'm sure it'll be spectacular.

Abandon all reason

• Here's a change of cv19 subject for anyone else fed up of the politics comments.

I hate monkeys. Everyone always seems to find them so cute and funny but I think they are horrible little bastards that wouldn't hesitate to rob you of everything, pausing only to tear your entire face off. And here is some proof. God they're vile.

While I don't hate them, they can be very thevious. (Is that a word?). I visited a place in south Taiwan called monkey mountain which was a mountain crawling with monkeys. Who would have guessed, right? One of them brazenly tried to steal my future wife's handbag. While she was wearing it.

Back on topic: grumble, grumble, grumble Trump Cummings grumble, grumble COVID19.

Actually on a serious note I assume everyone saw DJT's message "when the looting starts the shooting starts"? I think commentary on this kind of leadership is pretty germane to the topic of an epochal pandemic with only one comparable global event in distant living memory.

• That's a shame you think people here are whinging. Certainly the UK and US governments' responses to the pandemic have exposed their shortcomings very starkly and that's what some here are commenting on, so I don't feel it's especially off-topic and I think we are making legitimate comments expressing concern and frustration. I'm saddened you consider that to be "whinging".

Much of the US's response has been pretty pathetic, left largely to local govt. when is should have been led from the top. Sadly, that top is spinning wildly out of any control it ever had.

As for the UK, much of your criticism is dogmatic (it seems) and a tad unfair. The UK has been hit badly. So has France, Italy and Spain, all relatively local to us, which has doubtless had a lot to do with it. Moreover, I'd guess most employees are grateful and pleasantly surprised by the support they have been given. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and while there has been much to criticise (lack of grip on PPE for NHS staff, though international demand for it hasn't helped, the usual heel-dragging on issues involving new approaches, like Track and Trace and the App being trialled on the isle of Wight) some of your criticism has been a bit over the top. IMO. Not yours, obviously.

Ian

There is a church bell

That rings on the hour

Filling the streets

• You can’t really consider coronavirus without the political aspect with respect, they both are intertwined. I personally feel we here in the UK should have got on top of this from the beginning and those in charge of us (Politicians) weren’t decisive enough in the beginning. Personally I feel they have let things slide with cutbacks for years and years, refusing money for this cutting a little back here and a little there. This has been predicted for years and I believe that they should have been more prepared than was the case. They should have stockpiled PPE and built up a supply over years, ok it may have gone out of date but at least it would have been there available and ready?. All the indecision has made this a lot worse than it should have been. Look at Germany, testing done in massive amounts, no where near as many people losing their lives to it. They seem to know what they are doing, why can’t we be the same?.

Will we learn the hard lessons if this ever improves?, I doubt if I really do!. Will the government stockpile equipment and ventilation equipment for the next pandemic or will they think lightening doesn’t strike twice it can’t happen again so quickly?. I appreciate that once this took hold it’s hard to get to grips with and I don’t envy anyone in power from having sleepless nights. But I feel they had thought possibly that it’s not going to happen as bad over here?. The reality is it’s worse here than nearly everywhere else in Europe. And you’ve got to ask yourself why exactly is it?. I remember a few weeks ago on the tv they where saying “Italy has it bad due to an ageing population”, well it’s been as bad and worse here. Our demographic of populace cannot be that much different from other European nations and we are still showing R of 0.6-0.9 after 10 weeks of lock down?.

Edited 2 times, last by Wayne ().

• As for the UK, much of your criticism is dogmatic (it seems) and a tad unfair. The UK has been hit badly. So has France, Italy and Spain, all relatively local to us, which has doubtless had a lot to do with it. Moreover, I'd guess most employees are grateful and pleasantly surprised by the support they have been given. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and while there has been much to criticise (lack of grip on PPE for NHS staff, though international demand for it hasn't helped, the usual heel-dragging on issues involving new approaches, like Track and Trace and the App being trialled on the isle of Wight) some of your criticism has been a bit over the top. IMO. Not yours, obviously.

Yes as you say, I don't believe I have been over the top but you do make a fair point about the handling of support for employees. That too has had issues, but that would be expected. You can certainly argue it's also expected that the general handling of all aspects of the pandemic will inevitably have some shortcomings, and that too I accept but I'm thinking beyond the fact that you can't expect it to be perfect. Yes mistakes will be made, of course, but the apparent refusal to aknowledge them, explain them and move on, the lying, smokescreening, misdirection and slowness shown by the government is not something to either expect or accept. If criticising those things is dogma, then yes I am dogmatic. If you were referring to the (probably very obvious) fact that I hate the tory government, yes I already did even before the pandemic and even before Johnson lumbered in to No.10. But in all honesty I'd be saying the same things about a government of any political flavour that was behaving exactly as this one is and led by someone as equally detached as Johnson.

By the way, hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing, but the UK government had foresight. Not only that, they had among the very best foresight in the world to the extent it was adopted by other nations, including e.g. South Korea whose handling of CV19 has been widely praised. But our government, for reasons we may never know, actually decided not to follow its own protocols, even taking into account the outputs of the 2016 Cygnus pandemic-readiness exercise. I think that's pretty shameful from any government be it blue, red, orange, yellow, green or tartan.

Abandon all reason

• Well, in fairness, I've never known ANY government admit it's mistakes, and as for hating any government, I'd have to hate the last Labour one for borrowing money like chavs maxing out their credit cards post 2008 credit crunch in order to buy the 2010 general election. Of course, we didn't know it all at the time, but I was suspicious of why, after the crash, financial life in the UK didn't change. Just like post 1979 election, the tories were left to pick up the bill for labour borrowing. But I should point out I have no particular political allegiance, I've voted for them all in my time, to my shame, even Tony Blair's. Did you know Tony Blair has a think tank? There's irony for you!

Anyway, slight change of subject: I believe you have had a mysterious double death in Inverness, but no further news of it?

Ian

There is a church bell

That rings on the hour

Filling the streets

• Where are you all at with 'recovery'? What is your new normal?

In Massachusetts we are starting phase 2 on Monday. The big question for parents is whether summer camp will open. School is done till September. (Yes, and the country is literally ablaze with riots and racially fueled tension, and the president had a priest tear gassed out of a church... But one existential crisis at a time)

Apart from the reopening plan there's the not so trivial fact of the virus which hasn't gone anywhere. Every signal I've seen points towards low levels of exposure in the population (anywhere from 1 to 12 or so %) and pretty low levels of truly asymptomatic carriers. I saw some talk of a second wave already apparent in Iran. I know we are three months into the apocalypse which can start to feel like real drudgery after the excitement wears off... But what will reopening do to the virus' spread?

Where I live, masks are the rule now out and about. It's rare enough to see people without. But I went to Boston last week and saw a lot of people not wearing them. I wonder what effect they will have, I'm assuming positive. What are other people's experience here?

• To separate cases from Mennonites in Canada... Two late teenagers, one was involved in a traffic accident and died. The other was farm related to machinery who also died..

Coroner's autopsy result was blamed on the coronavirus. How stupid is that!.....:cursing:

What is the actual truth of all that we are being told about this.:?:

• To separate cases from Mennonites in Canada... Two late teenagers, one was involved in a traffic accident and died. The other was farm related to machinery who also died..

Coroner's autopsy result was blamed on the coronavirus. How stupid is that!.....:cursing:

Really? If that's what was reported it's the reporting that sounds screwy to me rather than the likelihood a coroner actually attributed RTA and mechanical trauma to cv19. Do you have a link?

Abandon all reason

• Where are you all at with 'recovery'? What is your new normal?

More stores are re-opening and there is a growing sense of optimism unless you're in the highly urbanized Greater Toronto Area which has 40% of the population and 70% of the cases in the entire province,

Everywhere else, there seems to be a favourable trend with COVID numbers going down or reaching a point where it's no longer existent.

Stats are collected by individual health units and within my district, which is a fairly expansive area of 272,000 square kilometres and mostly rural, there hasn't been a new case of COVID-19 for more than three weeks.

Most people where I am don't wear masks but they do follow distancing protocols. I don't detect any tension in the air amongst neighbours or when I go into town.

But I do have some family members in Toronto and certainly their levels of anxiety and observation of ensuring others are strictly following the rules are much higher than mine.

• I have only just looked at this thread. A good reason for me to do this site for me is to avoid all this crap. But eventually I have just had to take a peak. Generally I have become obsessed with the politics of UK and world . So much so that I think it made me ill . So I try to avoid it other than knowing what I need to. Glad to see that most of you seem to have the same opinion as myself on how this crisis has handled in the UK and US. This dreadful disease took the Chinese by complete suprise. They made a lot of mistakes but got it under control. South Korea knew what they were doing. It got there very quickly. We could see it coming for months. Italy were the first Europeans to get it on any significant scale. Closely followed Spain . We in the UK have absolutely no excuse for how badly this has been handled . We just sat back and watched it come . The NHS was brought to it's knees before this hit us. BJ is reassuring us that NHS has coped and not been over run whilst the staff have been working ludicrous hours. He is a lying ******* . I knew from watching TV that a pandemic was being expected by most top scientists. What planning did out govt do.? Bugger all. While other countries were locking down we had international sporting events . A family member of mine worked in Italy , in the affected area . His company flew him and his colleagues home because they felt it was unsafe for them..Flew home on a normal flight with others . No masks , no checks at the airport. This was about 3 weeks before our lockdown. Mrs Farmer and I are both support workers . We work ( for different companies) with vulnerable people . No social distancing , close personal contact. Even after lockdown we had no masks. We were told we should use them if the people we supported showed symptoms! A bit late then! No protection for them . This was the case around the country. No wonder it ripped through care homes. Over the weeks the pro active PPE has improved a lot and no one we work with have had it yet luckily . But a bit late for all those that have died. Personally I have been off since around 10 days so after lockdown as I had a letter from the NHS telling me isolate for 12 weeks, but I keep in touch. Mrs Farmer goes in everyday. I firmly believed from day one that BJ is the worst PM we have we ever had. And that's saying something. I really hoped that he would deal with this but I am unfortunately right about him . This whole thing has been the worst disaster and complete fuck up.

It makes me so angry and upset. So I have said my piece and will take a peak at this thread agian . But for now I will lie down shut my eyes and consider songs that contain words pertaining to heat the title. As soon as I think of one I will tell you in the appropriate thread .