Corona Virus - Stay Safe

• (Sycamore, outside some building or other, stands looking fixedly at us and nodding silently for about 10 seconds). "

This is, sadly, a symptom of digital tech. People like us, old enough to remember the good old days, remember the reporter responding instantly, but now, there's a delay in both directions, while the words are converted to digital at the originating end, sent, and converted back at the other end. It takes longer than people think, about 2 seconds each end, in some cases.

You can demonstrate the effect in your own home, switch 2 TV's on, on the exact same channel. The chance of them being in synch is very low. The fast one will not necessarily be the newer one, either.

Even better, try an FM radio, and a DAB, (typically 4 seconds) or radio on freeview, or online, (could be anything up to 30 seconds) or best of all, Alexa. On radio 2, about 50 seconds. Never set your watch by the pips on a digital radio!!!

Ian

Works with chess - Not with life

• When reporting on a flood, CNN will inevitably have reporters stand waist deep on a flooded street, while the in-studio anchor pleads with them to please be safe out there. Sensationalism is the word of the day.

• When reporting only a flood, CNN will inevitably have reporters stand waist deep on a flooded street, while the in-studio anchor pleads with them to please be safe out there. Sensationalism is the word of the day.

I'm not sure 'sensationalism' is quite the right word. The phrase utter stupidity seems more apt.

I now have an image of the CNN studio anchor cutting to a location report of a fire, with the reporter in the fire, screaming their bulletin out while flailing around with their clothes in flames.

Abandon all reason

• And don't swim in the sea!!!

It should be mandatory for every reporter out in extreme weather to shout very loudly: 'Lord! Here comes the flood'.

• I'd never seen that, it's hysterical. Her increasing desperation to hang on to the hat just adds to it. I'm now imagining a report with her in a hurricane, clinging to a lamp post, her torso and legs blown horizontal, cars and bins flying past, yelling "This storm is all about the wind".

"PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SPOTTED SWIMMING IN THE SEA!!! THEIR ACTIONS.... ARE ID-EE-YOT-IC"

It was funny. I think my favorite moment is when some random bloke walks behind her as if nothing is going on. To be fair to the reporter, she was a good sport about the oceanic volumes of ridicule that followed it.

Typical feature: anchor in studio - "For the latest on this supposed story where nothing's actually happened, over to Sycamore Bleeg, our Special Correspondent who's there now - Sycamore, what's the latest?"

(Sycamore, outside some building or other, stands looking fixedly at us and nodding silently for about 10 seconds). "Well Cadenza, the latest is that there are no new developments, but maybe that won't seem so unimpressive if I say it in this urgent sort of tone, so I'm going to maintain it for the rest of this redundant report, while occasionally putting in pointless emphasis and... slowing.... down... leaving... bizarre.... gaps.... while making chopping motions in the air... in the hope dumb viewers will think they've just heard something important. My voice is now going to dramatically go down in tone as I near the end... before springing back in a meaningless interrogative way, as if to suggest something might happen. Back to you in the studio".

Then Cadenza tells us she has the Chief Nothing Editor with her in the studio, and indeed she does, turning to him to ask him to rake back over the nothingness we've just heard, which he does so using the same words slightly re-arranged.

:D priceless and very accurate.

• And then, at least here in the states, there's the absolutely necessary completely in depth coverage of any and every car chase, hoping for multiple fatalities or at least a major accident where someone innocent has been terribly injured, maimed or killed, all for the interest of two in-studio news anchors listening to the minute by minute ramblings of a traffic chopper pilot, wherein the anchors either ask him questions he's already answered or bringing up possible scenarios; ie, who's in the car, are they high on drugs, etc. Sickens me that this is what local news has become.

• And then, at least here in the states, there's the absolutely necessary completely in depth coverage of any and every car chase, hoping for multiple fatalities or at least a major accident where someone innocent has been terribly injured, maimed or killed, all for the interest of two in-studio news anchors listening to the minute by minute ramblings of a traffic chopper pilot, wherein the anchors either ask him questions he's already answered or bringing up possible scenarios; ie, who's in the car, are they high on drugs, etc. Sickens me that this is what local news has become.

This is also very true. It was the basis for a skit in Friends I found very funny involving Chandler and the bellhop at a resort avidly following a high speed chase on TV while Monica moves them from room to room in search of the perfect one, before she eventually loses her shit at Chandler for ignoring her. "Do not speak ill of the dead".

• My pet hate is whenever there is about to be a press conference by the Prime Minister the ABC (the equivalent of the BBC) will show live pictures of a podium with nobody standing at it, for minutes at a time, because apparently it is too difficult to just cut to the start of the press conference.

• My pet hate is whenever there is about to be a press conference by the Prime Minister the ABC (the equivalent of the BBC) will show live pictures of a podium with nobody standing at it, for minutes at a time, because apparently it is too difficult to just cut to the start of the press conference.

Meanwhile here in the UK many of us watch Johnson giving TV briefings and wish it was the empty podium. It'd be more bearable.

Abandon all reason

• Meanwhile here in the UK many of us watch Johnson giving TV briefings and wish it was the empty podium. It'd be more bearable.

Politics can be an exhausting endeavor. I pretty much burned out of it here in the US over the last five years.

• if ever there was a story for the times we live in. A Texas GOP official, anti-vaxxer, called an MD promoting good vaccine news "an enemy of free people", accompanied by a # of something like "shove your vaccine where the sun don't shine". This was in April. He just died of COVID-19 at the age of 45, leaving a wife and infant child behind (who also have COVID). The GOP released a statement mourning his passing with no mention of the virus in it. No highlighting the risk of going unvaccinated.

The shocking thing is none of this is surprising, tragic though it may be.

https://twitter.com/TexasGOP/status/1422944552407781376?s=19

• if ever there was a story for the times we live in. A Texas GOP official, anti-vaxxer, called an MD promoting good vaccine news "an enemy of free people", accompanied by a # of something like "shove your vaccine where the sun don't shine". This was in April. He just died of COVID-19 at the age of 45, leaving a wife and infant child behind (who also have COVID). The GOP released a statement mourning his passing with no mention of the virus in it. No highlighting the risk of going unvaccinated.

The shocking thing is none of this is surprising, tragic though it may be.

https://twitter.com/TexasGOP/status/1422944552407781376?s=19

So. That is all true?!

No!

• So. That is all true?!

If it’s not true I guess they’ve moved him to that secret island somewhere in the Pacific where they are hiding the 613,000 people who are listed as deaths in the US. And it’s no wonder the federal government is in such deep debt when you think about how much money they had to give to 600,000 + families to go along with the “hoax.”

• Are you questioning the veracity of the story?

No, sorry for the confusion. I’m not questioning the veracity of the story. I’m questioning the sanity of the folks who believe all these crazy paranoid stories about the virus being a hoax, the vaccine causing those who receive it to grow a 3rd arm, etc.