Progressive music and heavy metal

• Over the past couple of years or so, I've seen a huge influx of heavy metal bands entering the progressive genre.. Personally I don't agree with this. :(

For a start, they should have the title or label Heavy Metal not just just heavy. Bands such as Riverside are classed as heavy but in fact are not so. I find this so confusing, specially when you are looking at bands you may ignore, but in fact some of the labeled bands can in fact be very enjoyable to the ear.

I hate heavy metal to a passion and just wish Prog Archives and DPRP would specify more clearly or add another genre to their title.

• Over the past couple of years or so, I've seen a huge influx of heavy metal bands entering the progressive genre.. Personally I don't agree with this. :(

For a start, they should have the title or label Heavy Metal not just just heavy.

I hate heavy metal to a passion and just wish Prog Archives and DPRP would specify more clearly or add another genre to their title.

Well I love love heavy metal (or heavy )with a passion. Hate it too . Love prog. Hate it too. Depends on the band. Although hate is a bit of strong word. Nonetheless hate Metallica love linkin park. Love motorhead deep purple black Sabbath led Zeppelin. Hate iron maiden (all but the first album) , wasp , kiss, motley crue etc. Like G n R .

Led Zeppelin are definitely heavy or blues or prog. As with prog , I don't know where rock n roll, heavy or heavy metal starts or ends. genesis Kate Bush , Floyd, Jethro Tull , Yes All good. Camel , caravan , soft machine , all tedious. I think all genres have their good and bad sides , at least for my taste. Except of course for Euro pop. No excuse it's all awful without exception. Anyway rambling a bit. What about Dream Theatre? They're good. Heavy. ISH. I think you can be heavy and prog , or pop or electronica and prog. Don't really get.itnanysay

For a start, they should have the title or label Heavy Metal not just just heavy. Bands such as Riverside are classed as heavy but in fact are not so. I find this so confusing, specially when you are looking at bands you may ignore, but in fact some of the labeled bands can in fact be very enjoyable to the ear.

Each to their own of course but as I've said before, I will never understand this picking-over of "genres". You like some stuff, you don't like some other stuff. Why should it matter what someone else has decided to label it?!

Led Zeppelin are definitely heavy or blues or prog. As with prog , I don't know where rock n roll, heavy or heavy metal starts or ends.

I think you can be heavy and prog , or pop or electronica and prog. Don't really get.itnanysay

I think you've summed it up there.

I have two genres of music: stuff I like, stuff I don't.

Abandon all reason

• I waited for a bit to get responses. Some very good ones at that.:)

Don't get me wrong, certain classed metal bands sound very good indeed. However, They are not progressive. What started as a progressive band included a bass player, guitar, keyboards and a drummer.

The advancement on the guitar and all the modules connected, sound very much like a keyboard to some extent. That impresses me a lot. 8)

In the modern progressive world, I tend to ignore the genre of heavy, but in fact should look further ;)

Are Metal bands now becoming progressive, thats my question.:?:

I have bands such as Opeth and like them, there are a few others. I don't own any Dream Theater.

• Are Metal bands now becoming progressive, thats my question.:?:

I think the answer is that heavy and prog are both rock and have always crossed over. Zep and Rush perfect examples, even Deep Purple. Prog bands have always had a tendency to get heavy, heavy bands have often gone a bit proggy. These days it's harder and harder to be original but good creative musicians still want to experiment and push boundaries. So although there's little scope for brand new genre's / sounds I think there is an increase in crossover along with an increasing disregard for genre's. Bands are looking at at fusing styles more and more. Great bands usually change styles over time and maybe it's just getting harder find pigeon holes. As an aside I have only recently heard of Ana_thema. They are a perfect example .Heard a great song on a promotional. Bought the album but struggled to find it as it was in HMV's metal section. Looked them up. Started as metal but are anything but now. Their album The Optimist is wonderful. Check out the track Springfield. It's a stunner. Not remotely metal. You may well know them anyway. Been going a long time.