What movie have you watched?

• I saw the latest Tarantino film Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. I enjoyed it.

I've had a slightly odd relationship with his work. When I first saw Reservoir Dogs in the cinema I was excited and impressed by it. It felt like there was a new voice and talent in cinema. I eagerly went to see Pulp Fiction and while I felt it was less effective I still enjoyed it. The new one is the first one I've actually gone to the cinema to see since PF 25 years ago.

In between I saw on TV Jackie Brown which I found incredibly dull, the Kill Bill's which I thought were OK and compelling enough to keep me watching and looked fantastic, and Inglorious Basterds which I enjoyed.

The new one is for me is his best since RDs. It tells the story of a TV/film star who's starting to fear his career is stalling, and his relationship with his laconic stunt double. He gets a part in a Sam Wanamaker film that may be a make or break moment for him. His story is shown in parallel with that of Sharon Tate who is one of a number of real-life figures the film portrays. The Tate storyline is interesting in how it pans out (especially as we know what happened there) and not just interesting because she is played by the gorgeous (and of course very talented) Margot Robbie though I'm shallow enough to admit I was very happy indeed with that aspect. Not to mention the presence of a number of very eye-pleasing women. But anyway sorry I'll stop perving now.

Suffice to say, I liked it and despite its length it didn't feel it wasted too much of the time as his films often can. It was very funny in parts but also once or twice oddly touching, something I've never previously been able to say about any of his films.

Warning for the sensitive: near the end, as many might expect as it's QT, there's a scene of extreme graphic violence that is also - and I'm well aware of how this sounds - quite comical and actually made me laugh.

Abandon all reason

• It is, indeed, a work of art. There is a docu that covers the making of it, such as the café scene where the penguins serve with real trays, which involved a set elevated about 7 feet off the real floor so people could move the trays on poles via slots in the floor, the penguins were drawn in afterwards.

Not hindered by the inclusion of Christopher "Doc Brown" Lloyd, either!

There's an hour documentary on YouTube about this movie.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Tamarind Seed with Julie Andrews and Omar Sheriff

Genesis - Foxtrot appears during 54 minute period

• Yesterday - makes you realise yet again how much you love the Beatles & how empty a world without them would be!

That is a great film; I love it!

I just saw "Blinded By The Light" - also great! Along with "Rocketman", it has been a very good year for music-related movies. 8)

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Four this last week:

The Grudge - remake of a Japanese horror, one of those things featuring a scary girl with long wet hair, as so many seem to. It was okay but it had too many horror cliches in.

Little Women - I wasn't sure at first, the first 45 mins just seemed to be girls running, shrieking and hugging. Then it moved up a gear and ultimately I enjoyed it.

The Personal History of David Copperfield - the best of the bunch, it was funny, moving and very entertaining.

Bombshell - excellent, infuriating in what it depicted (true story of sexual harrassment cases at Fox News), very compelling.

Abandon all reason

• Watched last Monday: It's more a documentary than a movie film, but now has acquired monumental posthumous historic achievement status:

"Time stand still" the Rush Farewell concert tour film that rips my heart out.

• Ford vs Ferrari. What a great film.

Sad ending to a true story and legend as a driver. Though sad, Ford made the most successful car to beat Ferrari in 3 seasons Le Mans . This is probably the most successful car to date by Ford, GT40

• I saw 1917 recently and the latest installment of "Star Wars". I liked both, the first was as great as advertised (IMHO, of course).

I saw 1917 a couple of weeks back, and yes, it is brilliant, a very good story, and a nice alternative to all the recent action movies who feel the need to have an edit every second to make the action more intense (but in fact it just makes it impossible to follow).

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• A corporate defense attorney takes on an environmental lawsuit against a chemical company that exposes a lengthy history of pollution.

Dark Waters powerfully relays a real-life tale of infuriating malfeasance, honoring the victims and laying blame squarely at the feet of the perpetrators.

DuPont, the biggest Chemical plant in the world manufactures the deadly substance called PFOA -C8 which is basically Teflon. Used by everyone today, specially plastics. This has caused major

illnesses and deaths throughout the world (Cancer)......

Stars

Mark Ruffalo

Anne Hathaway

Tim Robbins

• I just got this and am looking forward to watching it.

I know I will be upset/angry after I see it - still, these stories need to be told.

• After watching Dark Water, which despite the horrible circumstances involved. Another movie which was recommended is Erin Brockovich, based on real live events very similar to Dark Water.

Julie Roberts is fantastic in this movie with co star Albert Finney, who is also great.

An unemployed single mother becomes a legal assistant and almost single-handedly brings down a California power company accused of polluting a city's water supply.

• YES! This is also an excellent film.

Julia Roberts and Albert Finney are both great in it. :thumbup:

• The film stars, Phil Collins / Hugo Weaving and Josephine Byrnes

The film tells the story of insurance investigator Roland Copping (Phil Collins) and how he interferes with and manipulates the lives of others with outrageous games and gimmicks. Eventually he becomes involved in an escalating vendetta with a couple who make an unusual insurance claim after their son dies. This film is set in Australia.

• Saw the latest film version of “Emma” a fortnight ago, directed by the music video director Autumn de Wilde. Surprisingly it was excellent, a real contrast to all the ghastly woke rehashes of classic novels that the BBC have inflicted on viewers recently.