What movie have you watched?

• Watched "Searching" last night, it's available on streaming sites, a superb film with 2 interesting twists:

1/ everything you see is on a screen, either a computer, CCTV or TV. Not the first to do this, I believe, but very effectively done.

2/ Sorry, you'll have to watch it for the second twist. It'd spoil it if I told you. ;)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Have been binge watching Star Trek . So far first 7 films.

For a change have really enjoyed The Favourite.

I really like the recent three Star Trek films. Of the older ones First Contact is great and the other TNG ones are good.

I really liked The Favourite too. At times it was grotesque and there's rather more puking than I care to see but it was overall really engrossing and probably Rachel Weisz's career best performance. Everyone in it is good.

That rabbits sequence at the end.... That was strange, weirdly unsettling and quite bold. An odd and unconventional way to close a film. I thought the use of Skyline Pigeon for the end credits worked really well.

I'm going to switch into shallow mode and say that a film with both Rachel Weisz and Emma Stone will always be a must-see. I mean, you know, because - ahem, they're both so, ah, talented (and of course they are).

Abandon all reason

• Saw the latest film version of “Emma” a fortnight ago, directed by the music video director Autumn de Wilde. Surprisingly it was excellent, a real contrast to all the ghastly woke rehashes of classic novels that the BBC have inflicted on viewers recently.

Why were you so surprised Emma was excellent, and which "woke" BBC adaptations do you mean?

Abandon all reason

• Is it really 6 months since we posted in this thread?!

My local arts centre has just re-opened its cinemas and cafe so it was a genuine pleasure to be able to go back in there last week, enjoy a coffee and see two films for the first time in over 7 months.

I saw the documentary White Riot, about the Rock Against Racism movement that started in the late 1970s. It was part nostalgic but also unpleasant to be reminded of the odious and repulsive National Front scum who openly campaigned for the enforced removal of ethnic minorities. It also made me think about how those attitudes, which I thought had largely gone, are now in the air again and I suppose they never really went away but now have more breathing space. But for its not always being a comfortable watch it was overall an enjoyable and well-made film with some good archive work.

I then saw the latest Christopher Nolan film Tenet. I'd heard that many who've seen it found it baffling and difficult to fathom. I understood and quite liked the underlying concept of it, but struggled with some of the actual detail of the action. As you'd expect though it looks great and has some spectacular moments. But I'm not sure what I actually took away from it. It's like it's left very little impression on me. I feel that Nolan has expended all his energy on constructing a complex twisty-turny plot that is in many ways impressive, while forgetting to invest anything in emotion or character. I can't say more without spoilers and if you're thinking of seeing it it'd be best to avoid reading up on it. It's tense and exciting at times, on balance worth seeing.

Today I'm off to see Saint Maud, about a carer who has a somewhat skewed agenda when it comes to looking after her patient.

Abandon all reason

• Today I'm off to see Saint Maud, about a carer who has a somewhat skewed agenda when it comes to looking after her patient.

This was excellent, if extremely unpleasant at times, and quite creepy. It starts with a rather intense young woman Maud beginning a new job as a private carer for a terminally ill former dancer. Maud takes her job very seriously which then takes on a disturbing aspect.

It's not exactly laugh-a-minute but is very compelling in a grim sort of way. And it's very well-made, with good performances. Worth seeing but for the squeamish I'd say, approach with caution.

Abandon all reason

• I know this isn't strictly speaking about what films we've seen but it's film-related.

Clearing out old files, papers etc and came across a Film Synopsis Generator that I made about 20 years ago.

Generate your own one by choosing 4 numbers between 1 and 14 (you can repeat numbers if you like) and one number from 1 to 3. I'll let you know your film synopsis to pitch to a studio exec.

Abandon all reason

• Just watched maybe at 91, Clint Eastwood's last movie Cry, Macho 2021. Set in Mexico, Clint is hired to retrieve the son of his ex-employer and bring him home to Texas and from the alcoholic mother and party animal.

After a quarter way through the movie a relationship between Clint and the teenager evolves and blossoms. Also the mother has sent a body guard to capture the boy and prison Clint's role. Avoiding trouble, they hang out in a local town where a relationship with a Mexican restauranteur develops with Clint.

The movie is well worth the watch and like myself, a Clint fan, enjoyed it immensely. Though maybe not his most capturing of films he's done, at his age it's a worthy watch and he's still not afraid to throw a few punches around!...^^

The title Macho sends a message to the film, with this relationship of the teenager and Clint, Macho means nothing unless you're willing to stop in later life. It about loving and caring. The kid also names his Chicken or Cock( Macho) from the boys most recent cock fight.

Edited once, last by Noni ().

• Have been binge watching Star Trek . So far first 7 films.

For a change have really enjoyed The Favourite.

Star Trek 2 is a legitimately great movie. You don't have to be a fan of Sci Fi, I think it's an absolute classic.

3 is deeply underrated. 4 is pretty overrated. 1 is evenly rated I'd say. 5 is dire. Really, really dire. 6 was good. 7 is underrated too. 8 was terrific, probably the best after 2. The rest were forgettable. I don't even know how many more there were.

For the reboot, the first one was very very good, and the second one was gouge-my-eyes-out-NOW bad.

For movies, I'm waiting arrival of a deluxe DVD of David Lynch's Dune 😃.

• We watched “Intruder in the Dust” last night; a film from 1949 based on a novel by William Faulkner. It’s fairly similar in plot and tone to “To Kill a Mockingbird.” Very good indeed with an excellent performance by the lead actor, who played a black man in Mississippi falsely accused of killing a white man.

• Personally I like all the Star Trek movies. 4 is my favourite, but equally they are all good.

• I DVR’d “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Wolf” off of Turner Classic Movies the other night. It’ll be the next one I watch. I saw it once before. It is without a doubt the most intense movie I’ve ever seen. I highly recommend it. Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor at their best. At the risk of sounding like an old fart (I turn 60 on September 30) they just don’t make ‘em like that anymore.

• I DVR’d “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Wolf” off of Turner Classic Movies the other night. It’ll be the next one I watch. I saw it once before. It is without a doubt the most intense movie I’ve ever seen. I highly recommend it. Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor at their best. At the risk of sounding like an old fart (I turn 60 on September 30) they just don’t make ‘em like that anymore.

People who think Elizabeth Taylor was just a beauty queen have never seen Virginia Woolf. It could be argued that neither of them fully lived up to their talent but they did in this film. I also love their Taming Of The Shrew.

• This movie was the first martial artist that was shown before Bruce Lee in America . Mixed Indian blood from America, this is highly recommended film. Both he and wife are star casts in this movie.

In fact the Bruce Lee co-ordinators looked at this film and produced their own in the early 70s and they produced their own hit. This could of been the first film in martial arts from America.

Edited 3 times, last by Noni ().

• I remember seeing Billy Jack when it first came out. He kicked ass!

• I remember seeing Billy Jack when it first came out. He kicked ass!

I acquired all 4 films from the Billy Jack collection. Fantastic value at the time and a great viewing watch. ;)

Some of these films are based on real facts and experiences with Tom Delores( Billy Jack) and Delores Taylor (his real wife)...