I love Kate Bush!

• When Knopfler didn't attend I was annoyed but I had to look at it from his perspective. What was really embarrassing about it was because he wouldn't attend, nobody would induct Dire Straits so they had to induct themselves.

I don't know about Ian Anderson. I think he would treat it as hugely ironic & just enjoy it.

• Interesting list there of musicians who have skipped their induction. I'm not actually too surprised at most of them.

I imagine if King Crimson were ever inducted that Fripp may pass on attending as well.

• I like a couple of tracks from Kate, but never really listened to an album in full. Nevertheless, I was think about buying the live one, which was released a couple of years ago. Would you recommend that to start with, instead of a studio album?

... make tomorrow today!

• I like a couple of tracks from Kate, but never really listened to an album in full. Nevertheless, I was think about buying the live one, which was released a couple of years ago. Would you recommend that to start with, instead of a studio album?

I honestly don't think any live album is representative of her whole career. You would be better off with The Whole Story or This Woman's Work which are compilations.

For what it's worth if I had to nominate a top ten of Kate's songs at this moment they would be:

1. Wuthering Heights

2. Running Up That Hill

3. Cloudbusting

4. Experiment IV

5. The Man With The Child In His Eyes

6. Army Dreamers

7. The Sensual World

8. Hammer Horror

9. Mrs Bartolozzi

10. Hounds Of Love

But these are mostly fairly 'mainstream' songs it must be said. Still I think they are a good introduction to her work.

• 2. Running Up That Hill

If you haven't already heard it, Meg Myers had a cover of Running Up That Hill out a while ago. It was accompanied by a striking video and I thought the cover itself was excellent.

Edit

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Not particularly a KB fan but Mrs Backdrifter is and to make sure both our tastes are well covered on journeys i did this compilation for the car.

Hounds of Love

The Red Shoes

Jig of Life

Top of the City

Pi

Experiment IV

Moments of Pleasure

Love & Anger

Joanni

Deeper Understanding

Rubberband Girl

Sunset

The Morning Fog

Reaching Out

You're the One

Heads We're Dancing

Cloudbusting

This Woman's Work

The Sensual World

Somewhere In Between

King of the Mountain (live)

Running Up That Hill

The sharp-eyed will notice it leans heavily on TSW and TRS. This is mainly as, from my perspective as a peripheral KB listener, those albums strike me as her creative peak and are the most attuned to my tastes. Mrs Backdrifter likes them too and is very happy with the compilation, plus she isn't too bothered about the first few albums so doesn't mind their not being represented. Also, she went to a Before the Dawn show in 2014 and was blown away by it - that show itself ignored the first 4 albums.

Speaking of which:

I like a couple of tracks from Kate, but never really listened to an album in full. Nevertheless, I was think about buying the live one, which was released a couple of years ago. Would you recommend that to start with, instead of a studio album?

If you didn't already get it I'd say yes, give it a go.

Abandon all reason

• It's a good list, but omitting Wuthering Heights is like omitting In The Air Tonight from a list of favourite Phil songs. But there is something for everyone there.

Ah, but WH isn't a favourite of mine (also I think it would've been too jarring amid the others). If I'd gone back that far I'd have chosen others over that. Anyway, as I said I'm partly emboldened by the fact she didn't even do WH herself when last played!

You're right, there should be enough in my comp to please interested KB inductees.

(PS - I nearly did omit ITAT from my PC compilation, but it made it in)

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• I LOVE Kate Bush! Brilliant, well-spoken, creative as hell, unique, and gotta say sexy as HELL. I have a serious thing for that woman. She’s breathtaking. She was so great collaborating with PG! I love her first album the most. Man with the Child in his Eyes is my favorite tune.

• I know you like Kanye West. Your Wife has better taste then you!.....;)

• Here is a famous picture :

[Blocked Image: https://www.katebushencyclopedia.com/sites/default/files/2017-09/collins.jpg]

I think my favourite album is Never For Ever. Love the sound of it. "Breathing" is a highlight to me.

Her guitarist was Alan Murphy, who also played on the first two Mechanics album (and also a year with Level 42, before dying of AIDS - Mark King played on various occasions with Phil, for Prince's Trust).

• Although I very much like TSW and TRS, Hounds of Love remains my favourite album. The songs on Side 1 are all strong and The Ninth Wave is an amazing suite that I still find magical.

Going back to the comments about Rolling Stone and the R&RHoF, I was a faithful Rolling Stone reader from 1980 to about 2000. It has always had a very obvious bias towards American music and music that was either strongly influenced by or was a strong influence on American music. However, since I like a lot of American-based music, it still provided some excellent in-depth interviews and profiles that I learned a lot from. I found the writing became increasingly superficial, which is why I ultimately abandoned it.

The R&RHoF reflects the same bias. So it makes sense that Eddie Cochran (who released only a few singles and one album but was hugely influential) is an inductee while many other artists who have had substantial careers and fan bases are not yet inductees. I'm actually a bit surprised that Genesis, Yes, Rush, and others have been inducted as they were consistently disparaged and ignored by Rolling Stone and most of the music critics for decades.

• Sorry mate, it was thewatcher reply :(

Also not a fan of Kanye's! Though I used him as a convenience in another thread as someone else had already brought him up in that thread.

I have a vague memory of listening to an album of his about 15 years ago, but it's possible it's another artist I'm thinking of. Whatever album it was, it had a couple of interesting dark EDM type songs but clearly it wasn't enough to suck me in.

• Although I very much like TSW and TRS, Hounds of Love remains my favourite album. The songs on Side 1 are all strong and The Ninth Wave is an amazing suite that I still find magical.

Going back to the comments about Rolling Stone and the R&RHoF, I was a faithful Rolling Stone reader from 1980 to about 2000. It has always had a very obvious bias towards American music and music that was either strongly influenced by or was a strong influence on American music. However, since I like a lot of American-based music, it still provided some excellent in-depth interviews and profiles that I learned a lot from. I found the writing became increasingly superficial, which is why I ultimately abandoned it.

The R&RHoF reflects the same bias. So it makes sense that Eddie Cochran (who released only a few singles and one album but was hugely influential) is an inductee while many other artists who have had substantial careers and fan bases are not yet inductees. I'm actually a bit surprised that Genesis, Yes, Rush, and others have been inducted as they were consistently disparaged and ignored by Rolling Stone and most of the music critics for decades.

The Ninth Wave is her best work, IMO.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Also not a fan of Kanye's! Though I used him as a convenience in another thread as someone else had already brought him up in that thread.

I have a vague memory of listening to an album of his about 15 years ago, but it's possible it's another artist I'm thinking of. Whatever album it was, it had a couple of interesting dark EDM type songs but clearly it wasn't enough to suck me in.

Using him as a convenience seems a bit strong, though iI guess we all get caught short sometimes. ^^

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!