We Can't Dance Tour 1992

• Hi All,

For a project I am involved in I am looking for a complete list of songs performed on the WCD tour. As far as I know -

Land of Confusion

No Son of Mine

Driving The last Spike (2 versions - early tour then later tour with key dropped)

Old Medley (No real variations - maybe your own special way snippet some nights but not others)

Throwing It All Away

Dreaming While You Sleep

Fading Lights

Jesus He Knows Me

Home By The Sea

Carpet Crawlers

Mama

Hold on my Heart

Domino

Drum Duet

I Cant Dance

Tonight Tonight Tonight

Invisible Touch

Turn It on Again

Songs Rehearsed that weren't performed (Available Online)

Living Forever

Way of the World

Is there anything I have missed?

Thanks

• What is it with Carpet Crawlers, I thought this was only performed in one show when Phil persuaded Mike and Tony to include it? Or am I wrong?

Correct. When they decided on this tour, they all agreed they wanted to do a shorter stint, where the end was in sight when they started, as opposed to the ten month, round-the-world slog that they went on with Invisible Touch. They devised a set that wasn't going to change as the tour progessed (even though they ended up dropping Dream While You Sleep because audiences were getting restless and Mama because Phil's mid-range had all-but disappeared following a bout of flu during the American leg of the tour). The lights and the videos were all matched up to the songs so they couldn't deviate even if they wanted to.

When they went out again at the end of '92 for a short tour of smaller venues in Britain, Phil suggested they play The Carpet Crawlers and they went for it. I don't know why Tony and Mike were resistent to its inclusion previously, or why they apparently went against Phil's suggestion to do Supper's Ready instead of the old medley.

• I don't know why Tony and Mike apparently went against Phil's suggestion to do Supper's Ready instead of the old medley.

I recall an interview in which one of them, Banks I'm sure, said it was "such a slog" to do the whole song.

Why it's less of a slog to do a similar length medley I'm not sure.

Abandon all reason

• I recall an interview in which one of them, Banks I'm sure, said it was "such a slog" to do the whole song.

Why it's less of a slog to do a similar length medley I'm not sure.

It seems Tony was more in favour of presenting a potted history of the band in twenty minutes than Phil was! In retrospect, Phil said that the old medley was "dodgy" in that it bordered on a cabaret presentation of the music - "Here's one you might remember..." He singled out the moment where he goes through four or five songs in less than a minute (That's All, Illegal Alien, Follow You Follow Me, Your Own Special Way), saying that it's dangerous to do that because there'll be fans who have shown up to hear that song and it's passed them by in a matter of seconds.

I enjoyed the old medley at the time. It was great to hear snippets of some of my favourite old tunes and the band had so many other songs to play in the set that they really couldn't afford more than twenty minutes to do some old stuff. I totally understand that. I much preferred it when they went back out on the road in 2007, though, with a much more balanced set.

• I’ve sometimes wondered about Phil and set lists. As someone who nearly joined both the Who and Yes he must have been aware that they managed to keep all eras of fans satisfied and so I think his idea of doing Supper’s Ready was an excellent one and I would have preferred it to the medleys - especially as they tended to be similar and revolve around ‘in the bloody cage’ as he once jokingly called it, a track I love and it was brilliant live but was wheeled out time after time. His pop sensibility and arrangers brain plus his understanding of an audience meant it wasn’t unwise to ignore him on such matters.

• I’ve sometimes wondered about Phil and set lists. As someone who nearly joined both the Who and Yes he must have been aware that they managed to keep all eras of fans satisfied and so I think his idea of doing Supper’s Ready was an excellent one and I would have preferred it to the medleys - especially as they tended to be similar and revolve around ‘in the bloody cage’ as he once jokingly called it, a track I love and it was brilliant live but was wheeled out time after time. His pop sensibility and arrangers brain plus his understanding of an audience meant it wasn’t unwise to ignore him on such matters.

Well, a couple of things to address here. Phil considered auditioning for Yes in the very early days. They hadn't even done The Yes Album by this point so the point about the band keeping all eras of fans satisfied is somewhat moot in relation to Phil almost auditioning for them. But, really, the only reason Yes keep playing the old stuff so much is because the newer stuff sold so poorly. Sad but true.

As for "in the bloody cage", Phil was only repeating what an audience member shouted out. In fact, if you listen to the bootlegs from that run of shows, you'll know that that person showed up the next night and shouted out the same thing.

• Cage was always good live and when on the WCD tour Collins announced the next track was some old bits I expected another Cage medley. So I was pleasantly surprised when they launched into Volcano and the subsequent snippets. I was especially happy to hear the Musical Box segment.

I remember Banks saying they wanted an upbeat set opener and had been considering Behind The Lines before going with LoC.

Abandon all reason

• Land Of Confusion was the right way to go. Invisible Touch had been a huge album and everyone knew the songs from it. Going with a big number from the previous album as the opener was something of a tradition for Genesis.

• Christian

Changed the title of the thread from “WCD Tour” to “We Can't Dance Tour 1992”.
    • Official Post

I noticed that we final open air gig of the WCD tour took place yesterday, 28 years ago at Knebworth....

time flies so quickly, but we do have a decent video of that. The show was broadcasted by PREMIERE; which was a brand new pay TV station in Germany at the time - and it was broadcasted for free

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I noticed that we final open air gig of the WCD tour took place yesterday, 28 years ago at Knebworth....

time flies so quickly, but we do have a decent video of that. The show was broadcasted by PREMIERE; which was a brand new pay TV station in Germany at the time - and it was broadcasted for free

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That reminds me, I have a slightly odd query about this Knebworth footage. In 1993, as a young fan, I had the VHS of The Way We Walk live. At some point a few years later, I must have got rid of it or sold it (I can't quite recall). Later, when the DVD version was available, I picked it up again, only to be surprised to find that it was NOT the show I remembered! Fast forward to the Youtube era and I came across the Knebworth show: THIS was the show I remembered watching many times as a kid! So how could this confusion have come about? How could I have seen that German footage many times, when I lived in the UK? Was it ever shown on UK television??

• That reminds me, I have a slightly odd query about this Knebworth footage. In 1993, as a young fan, I had the VHS of The Way We Walk live. At some point a few years later, I must have got rid of it or sold it (I can't quite recall). Later, when the DVD version was available, I picked it up again, only to be surprised to find that it was NOT the show I remembered! Fast forward to the Youtube era and I came across the Knebworth show: THIS was the show I remembered watching many times as a kid! So how could this confusion have come about? How could I have seen that German footage many times, when I lived in the UK? Was it ever shown on UK television??

I may be remembering this wrong but I thought I saw the knebworth one on vh1 at some stage. Did you tape it off tv? I assume you didn't buy The Way We Walk and get a video of the wrong concert inside.

Btw I had TWWW on VHS too and I loved it SO much. It seemed so cinematic at the time

• That reminds me, I have a slightly odd query about this Knebworth footage. In 1993, as a young fan, I had the VHS of The Way We Walk live. At some point a few years later, I must have got rid of it or sold it (I can't quite recall). Later, when the DVD version was available, I picked it up again, only to be surprised to find that it was NOT the show I remembered! Fast forward to the Youtube era and I came across the Knebworth show: THIS was the show I remembered watching many times as a kid! So how could this confusion have come about? How could I have seen that German footage many times, when I lived in the UK? Was it ever shown on UK television??

I agree with thewatcher, most likely you taped the Knebworth gig which was broadcast - I too recorded it. That would be your VHS copy. The dvd was of course filmed at London Earls Court.

Abandon all reason

• I agree with thewatcher, most likely you taped the Knebworth gig which was broadcast - I too recorded it. That would be your VHS copy. The dvd was of course filmed at London Earls Court.

Yes I think you're both right. If it was shown on VH1 that would make sense. I'm still mystified as to why the Earls Court footage was not familiar to me, but I guess that maybe I got the video as a birthday/xmas present and for some reason assumed it was the same as what I had recorded already - so I never bothered to watch it! Very daft of me if so!

• Official Post

Nevertheless - interesting that only the German broadcast is available in very good quality. I wonder why no British broadcast recording seems to exist? And ideas?

• I noticed that we final open air gig of the WCD tour took place yesterday, 28 years ago at Knebworth....

Thanks for the link. Despite the day being somewhat of personal nightmare the show was great and managed to lift our spirits. Didn't know this was out there and I shall watch the whole thing as soon as I have a few hours spare .