Phil & Peter performing I Know What I Like together

• Every now and then I keep stumbling over some old news about a performance in the late 70's when Peter and Phil supposedly gave a one-time performance of I Know What I Like together. Can anyone shed light on this, what is this about? What kind of event was that?

• Phil played on a few of Peter's early shows. There are bootlegs of them performing Mother Of Violence together, for instance. The only time I've heard them perform I Know What I Like since Peter left was when he joined the band on stage for the encore at one of the shows in '78.

• Phil played on a few of Peter's early shows. There are bootlegs of them performing Mother Of Violence together, for instance. The only time I've heard them perform I Know What I Like since Peter left was when he joined the band on stage for the encore at one of the shows in '78.

I love that performance (Mother of Violence, Reading 79).

Two of my favourite vocalists harmonizing on one of my favourite Gabriel songs.

They also shared vocals during the encore which was The Lamb.

• Thanks for your answers! I wasn't aware they shared vocal performances on so many occasions. So there was a Genesis in 1978 with Peter guesting on IKWIL after all? That would have been the And Then There Were Three tour.

• Thanks for your answers! I wasn't aware they shared vocal performances on so many occasions. So there was a Genesis in 1978 with Peter guesting on IKWIL after all? That would have been the And Then There Were Three tour.

Yup.

I dare say out of all the members of Genesis, it was Peter and Phil whose musical paths crossed most frequently and most successfully. You'll be aware of the close association they had on Peter's third album which resulted from Peter not being able to afford a group at the time so Phil and John Giblin played on some of the tracks (I think Peter was dropped by the American record label after he played them some tunes he was working on, one of which was Family Snapshot. I guess the song about an American president being assassinated raised a few hackles, especially since the song was written from the assassin's point of view.) and of course this album saw the birth of the "Phil Collins drum sound".

Although Phil never lent his own distinctive vocals to any of Pete's stuff, Pete can clearly be heard singing backing vocals on Take Me Home on No Jacket Required. I thought that was an especially nice touch.

When Phil was invited to present Simon Bates's Radio One breakfast show for a week circa 1988, he played a few of Peter's songs including Red Rain and Family Snapshot.

• These pictures are of Peter Gabriel’s set at the Reading festival in 1979 I’m fairly confident. They sat on the edge of the stage to sing mother of violence together. At the end they donned leather jackets to perform the lamb lies down on Broadway. The set opened with an early version of Biko, I think before peter had written the lyrics to it.