SACD Box Set Reissues?, what’s the chances?.

• If the band took one look at the ridiculous prices people are asking for these sets on eBay maybe then they would re issue them?. £500 for 6 SACDs and dvds. People are just demanding to much and after quick profits?. I don’t know if any of Genesis record company ever come on here to gauge feeling or if any members have contact with people who make the release decisions?. Blu-rays Audio and video of all these with the same content would be excellent . I particularly enjoy the re issue interview sections which surely were filmed in HD?.

The issue is not how much the sets will go for on eBay, but how many will sell at whatever price. There are small numbers of fans that will pay for these sets, even at high prices. However, are there significantly greater numbers that would buy them if re-released that would make it worthwhile to the band/label?

• I’m sure there would be a market for these, how many fans have the group gained since these box sets were originally released ?. Although no one can ever say a number, i’m guessing adults or young adults who were children or teenagers when these box sets came out would dearly love to own them. Classic rock groups gain many 1,000s of new fans every year - there will definitely be a market for these. I’d take the three sets without thinking if they became available to pre order on re issue. 12 years down the line these deserve a second run, I don’t think it would be a detrimental direction for those who have the rights to take.

• I’m sure there would be a market for these, how many fans have the group gained since these box sets were originally released ?. Although no one can ever say a number, i’m guessing adults or young adults who were children or teenagers when these box sets came out would dearly love to own them. Classic rock groups gain many 1,000s of new fans every year - there will definitely be a market for these. I’d take the three sets without thinking if they became available to pre order on re issue. 12 years down the line these deserve a second run, I don’t think it would be a detrimental direction for those who have the rights to take.

My understanding is that the way people listen to music has changed. Sales of CDs have been steadily dropping due to streaming. People are definitely discovering classic rock groups, but I am not sure that will translate to sales of these kinds of sets.

• My understanding is that the way people listen to music has changed. Sales of CDs have been steadily dropping due to streaming. People are definitely discovering classic rock groups, but I am not sure that will translate to sales of these kinds of sets.

I myself take the opposite view, people really love collecting deluxe box sets like this. There is a market for them now more than ever. Take a look at the artists Who are re issuing old material of years gone past, padding the boxes out with insignificant filler such as tour laminates etc, which people look at once (I know I do), Blu-ray and 24/96 stuff is very popular as are 5.1 mixes which I have a few of but don’t have the room or speakers to listen to!!. I know it’s a different type of music but Tears for Fears re released two box sets (which demand high prices on eBay) a couple of months ago. Again, both of which were top sellers on the net. These are now both sold out within a few days of the pre order. Both are demanding high prices once again on eBay. I wish I was involved in this type of thing I’d be trying to get them out again, I don’t remember seeing much publicity For the three Genesis sets first time around?.

Edited 3 times, last by Wayne ().

• Vinyl is coming back too. Amazon sells vinyl lots of people are starting to buy that again. Walmart sells a limited number of vinyl in its store. Let alone record shops still carry it. So music isn't just stream.

I myself listen to music only digitally. Thru my iPhone. But i also collect the original stuff as well. I want to see the art work lyrics all of that. But i only listen on my iPhone.

• I'm definitely one of those who loves box sets and I have a healthy collection of vinyl too. However, I think I and many of those on this forum are in the minority. My understanding is that vinyl sales have levelled off, so it is not a growing market. So any artist/record company has to determine whether putting out a box set will yield sales that they feel are worth it.

My hope is that the new tour, whenever that happens, will provide enough refocused interest in the band so that they do feel it is worth rereleasing box sets and perhaps even unreleased archived material.

• I'm definitely one of those who loves box sets and I have a healthy collection of vinyl too. However, I think I and many of those on this forum are in the minority. My understanding is that vinyl sales have levelled off, so it is not a growing market. So any artist/record company has to determine whether putting out a box set will yield sales that they feel are worth it.

My hope is that the new tour, whenever that happens, will provide enough refocused interest in the band so that they do feel it is worth rereleasing box sets and perhaps even unreleased archived material.

it is possible that they would. I just don't think its probable. We might get a compilation or something. A live cd/bluray of the tour. Bit i wouldn't expect much more.

Would be nice tho.

• Regarding books, Chapter & Verse is in the band's own words. You can buy autobiographies by Rutherford, Collins and (soon) Hackett.

• I’d like to see a ‘live’ vinyl box. I only have Seconds Out, but would buy new issues of the original ‘Genesis Live’ and Three Sides Live’ in a heartbeat. But, of course, in regard to the latter, they’d have to choose between the US and UK version (where, of course, the title only makes sense for one if the versions). They could even play around with the later sets, and reconfigure them. Have to say, given the vinyl resurgence, I was expecting this to happen before now.

While I’m here, is there any more news on the Lamb box set that has been rumoured for this year?

• I’d like to see a ‘live’ vinyl box. I only have Seconds Out, but would buy new issues of the original ‘Genesis Live’ and Three Sides Live’ in a heartbeat. But, of course, in regard to the latter, they’d have to choose between the US and UK version (where, of course, the title only makes sense for one if the versions). They could even play around with the later sets, and reconfigure them. Have to say, given the vinyl resurgence, I was expecting this to happen before now.

While I’m here, is there any more news on the Lamb box set that has been rumoured for this year?

Great idea .I'd buy Live and TSL updated. They would have to have a triple TSL release with sides 4 and 5 comprising of side 4 of both US and UK versions and side six of previously unavailable on vinyl live cuts. Of course they could do the same with Live and turn it into a double . I can't wait. I need to spend more money on them. Live over Europe needs a vinyl release, and CAS tour on vinyl too. Somebody.needs to tell them somebody to do it.

• Official Post

I always found the expanded LIVE album in the Live boxset a bit odd - with tracks from The Lamb ...

Would like to see some updates reissues as well.

• I think there is demand for a lot of releases which don’t seem to be given any thought at the moment, there is money to be made and they can gladly have mine if they decide to re issue, re appraise any of the material. I don’t get why why haven’t had any high resolution basic stereo releases. Obviously the box sets were 5.1 24/96 but what about folks like me who only have traditional stereo set ups. I really feel this all could be looked at again. The TSL is a good idea by the way although I do have all the originals on vinyl including the live albums.

I would love further releases like the MFSL of ATOTT why stop at one!. A lot of groups And artists seem to have extended runs of these MFSL re issues for example Elvis Costello who’s had nearly all of his discography done!.

Maybe Genesis should employ someone to re evaluate the material which is there like the Prince Estate have done to brilliant effect.

I would love Super Deluxe Editions of Duke with extras such as Studio run throughs and the duke suite actually spliced together to form one continuous piece!!. Also potentially bundled with a remastered Live at Lyceum for example - now I’m dreaming I know !!.

Edited once, last by Wayne ().

• All of the SACD boxsets came with the following:

SACD 5.1

SACD 2.0 (Stereo)

CD Redbook audio (normal CD sound at normal CD resolution.

DVD A 5.1

DVD A 2.1 (stereo).

SACD's were sold in these boxsets in Europe and Japan, in America Atlantic didn't want to spend any money so they opted for DVD A and CD's in those boxsets.

Most people savaged the compression applied to the CD Redbook audio, missing the point that the boxsets were commissioned for the Surround Sound mixes on both SACD and DVD A. SACD's store and release the sound at a higher sampling rate, hence why they are the preferred medium. For another moaning about SACD's being a niche format, most Sony Playstation 2's would playback SACD releases. There were a number of home cinema systems that could happily playback the SACD material, including one released by Sony as a complete kit, this was called the DAV S-550 I brought that cheap in 2003, it came with an amp and 5 speakers and a Sub woofer. Later on I upgraded to separates, I had a Denon DVD player that also played SACD's which cost me £140 etc.

On that fateful day in June 2006, that we were down the Farm... we got to hear a few of the new mixes, Behind The Lines actually doesn't fade... it continues finishing up with just Phil on the drums.

The cheapest format of choice for record companies would be Blu Ray, they can fit more onto those discs. So any surround sound materials would end up on a blu ray disc, rather than SACD etc.

A record company always provides a budget for a project, but it would be Genesis management who would have to come up with a project in the first place and projected sales (forecast).

A tour is often in the modern age a good way to motivate a record company to do a project, its galling when you see Pink Floyd or The Beatles doing fantastic projects these days. But Genesis are not classed the same with Record companies struggling to see the demand. These online streaming services like Deezer and Spotify do very little for the artists and record companies financially.

So its not a case of the band / management not wanting to do it!

Hope this helps,

TGA

• Thank you for writing all that The_Genesis_Archive - very good detail!

FWIW, the main way I listen to the discs from these three sets is via SACD 5.1 - they are outstanding! I also have a DVD/BluRay player that plays my SACDs, from the wonderful people at OPPO - I payed a little bit more than I normally would for such a device, but it literally plays anything recorded on a digital disc from anywhere in the world, so it has that going for it. :thumbup:

Yes, I agree that if these sets are ever re-released, it would most probably be by BluRay Audio. But, that would be OK; it's my second-favorite format behind SACD.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• The above post was most welcome and appreciated ?. I do feel that there is a market for the SACDs being released again , would be tremendous if the full discography could be bundled together in a box set. SACD is still a prized format for audio enthusiasts. I consider myself to be into audio but 5.1 has never really been my bag (due to limitations of space in my small flat), if I had 6 speakers I would be falling over them!. I hope someone who has any scope for re evaluating these will take a look at it again. As you know these box sets are going for close to £1000 for the three studio editions on the used market which I cannot afford or hope to. If an sacd hybrid box set came out of all albums for say £200 - £250 they could take my money and I’d be a very happy fan!.

• Even if they forego the actual box, I'd love to see the surround mixes re-released for those that didn't get them the first time around. It's hard to believe it's been 12-13 years since those sets came out, so I don't think any complaints of "double dipping" would be particularly valid.

I think the biggest stumbling block is that there still isn't a truly agreed upon audiophile format, so choosing one is going to limit sales potential. There was a lot of push back in 2007 from folks that didn't have 5.1 home theater systems. DVD-A was dismissed as inferior because Europe got SACD. But SACD is an even smaller niche market than it was, and it seems (based on more recent audio releases) that 5.1 in a totally audio format isn't very popular anymore. Now that vinyl is seeing a big resurgence it splits the audiophile market even more.

MP3 is easy and it pleases the masses because it is able to go where the listener goes. None of the hi rez formats do that well, they're all dependent on equipment and that limits how the consumer will consume it.

It seems like Genesis is trying to build up some momentum with the impending tour but I fear it might be a bit of an uphill climb to convince the record company to get on board such a large project.

• The SACD were hybrid and contained the stereo mix to play on a standard CD player.

The farmer is correct, much as most SACD releases are Hybrid's. Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds, Peter Gabriel's SACD catalogue (all in 2.0 except UP).

I've only ever lived in small houses (still waiting for that lottery win), but the systems I have had mostly had small speakers. I have a large surround sound catalogue now, Anthony Phillips, Mike Oldfield, Yes, King Crimson, are just some of the more diverse works outside of Genesis that I own.

If anything Vinyl has had a resurgence, but I'm not sure why... Genesis really have triple dipped on Vinyl releases, but aside from the warmth that some speak of, I cannot see the allure of the format.

I do think any work by Genesis going forward would likely be on Blu Ray. Looking at the recent Pink Floyd releases gives us a clue as to how Deluxe versions of the Genesis catalogue may look. Nick Mason of Pink Floyd is managed by Tony Smith.

I really wanted Phil's solo work to be reissued in Surround sound, the word I got back was "he wasn't interested in doing that". A real pity!

TGA

• From my perspective: CD is the go to format for stereo. Vinyl doesn't compare, can't see why anyone thinks it does. MP3 is Ok for portability (Though Sony's Atrac was far superior, with better sound and gapless tracks) but downloads are, to me, inferior in any format. I'd put them on CD cos having them on computers, memory sticks or whatever means having to find them. My CD's are alphabetical or in a Discgear unit.

5.1: DVD or Blu Ray, don't mind which, it's not going to make a huge difference to me, my system is good, but uses small JBL speakers, so it's not as high fidelity as my stereo, it's just nice to hear stuff in surround. SACD is dead, really, it never caught on, and it's on the back foot now!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!