SACD Box Set Reissues?, what’s the chances?.

• From my perspective: CD is the go to format for stereo. Vinyl doesn't compare, can't see why anyone thinks it does. MP3 is Ok for portability (Though Sony's Atrac was far superior, with better sound and gapless tracks) but downloads are, to me, inferior in any format. I'd put them on CD cos having them on computers, memory sticks or whatever means having to find them. My CD's are alphabetical or in a Discgear unit.

5.1: DVD or Blu Ray, don't mind which, it's not going to make a huge difference to me, my system is good, but uses small JBL speakers, so it's not as high fidelity as my stereo, it's just nice to hear stuff in surround. SACD is dead, really, it never caught on, and it's on the back foot now!

I could go all day about this I think it justifies a thread of its own . Am opening one in the forum of the last resort.

• Are these hybrid discs high res on the stereo section? , I note you mention that you can play them on a standard CD player which can not accommodate high resolution and are limited to 44?. I’m only interested in High Resolution formats in stereo similar to the SACD medium?. Which is a very high level of sound quality in comparison to the standard audio compact disc, obviously Blu-ray audio would be acceptable as that would include 24/96 stereo along with 5.1 24/96 for those who prefer it.

My current speakers are Meridian 3200 actives which go up to 24/96 resolution and upsample everything else apparently. But Meridian ain’t really into the SACD format so I have to use an alternative headphone amp to listen to those.

• Are these hybrid discs high res on the stereo section? , I note you mention that you can play them on a standard CD player which can not accommodate high resolution and are limited to 44?. I’m only interested in High Resolution formats in stereo similar to the SACD medium?. Which is a very high level of sound quality in comparison to the standard audio compact disc, obviously Blu-ray audio would be acceptable as that would include 24/96 stereo along with 5.1 24/96 for those who prefer it.

My current speakers are Meridian 3200 actives which go up to 24/96 resolution and upsample everything else apparently. But Meridian ain’t really into the SACD format so I have to use an alternative headphone amp to listen to those.

I don't really know about the technical stuff. All I can say is that the detail on the SACD's is excellent on my stereo , much more detail than the previous releases. I generally don't listen much to the surround mixes , my hi fi is better than my surround system . The album that has benefitted most from the surround treatment is Trespass. I also believe that a standard DVD or blu ray won't play the surround SACD. It needs to have the 5.1 direct facility with separate output / inputs to the amp. At least that' s how I have it . I seem to remember struggling to get it set up but I'm not very technical.

• 5.1: DVD or Blu Ray, don't mind which, it's not going to make a huge difference to me, my system is good, but uses small JBL speakers, so it's not as high fidelity as my stereo, it's just nice to hear stuff in surround. SACD is dead, really, it never caught on, and it's on the back foot now!

foxfeeder, sadly on the subject of SACD I think we are in agreement. A real shame as a format it had great potential.

TGA

• foxfeeder, sadly on the subject of SACD I think we are in agreement. A real shame as a format it had great potential.

TGA

it may well be not as popular as regular cd or Blu-ray but SACD still is used by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab and Analogue Productions for most of their releases. Neither of these use blu ray audio as far as I’m aware?.

I have heard all of the SACDs out of this box set and they are superb and then some but haven’t got them myself.

If anyone has the box sets in triplicate and want to sell them on I’d gladly give the initial purchase price !!. As has been mentioned earlier it’s been such a long time since these box sets were out why not take a chance and re issue them ?. A lot of artists have re issued box sets three or four times. I have just bought the Bill Withers box set which like these Genesis sets went up price wise, it’s great to see things that were expensive on the used market being released again (same goes for the Tears for Fears box sets that were recently re issued).

Edited once, last by Wayne ().

• HMV or Virgin Retail - Genesis 1976 - 1982 (6 Hybrid SACD & 6 DVD Box Set) £88.99 (May 2007) £110.

HMV or Virgin Retail - Genesis 1983 - 1998 - £99

Camino Records - Genesis: 1970 - 1975 (7SACD Hybrid & 6DVD Box Set £86.99 (Nov 2008) £110
    Etc.

TGA

• I still don’t understand why they have only been released on one occasion, Cds and SACDs get multiple reissues. Sadly doesn’t seem to be the case with these. Would love these to be updated to bluray release or original I don’t mind at all!.

What’s the point In putting all that care and attention and work into one release, if anyone has any ability To re consider reissue would be great if they could look at this again.

Edited once, last by Wayne ().

• I still don’t understand why they have only been released on one occasion, Cds and SACDs get multiple reissues. Sadly doesn’t seem to be the case with these. Would love these to be updated to bluray release or original I don’t mind at all!.

What’s the point In putting all that care and attention and work into one release, if anyone has any ability To re consider reissue would be great if they could look at this again.

I would assume it's purely financial, that anticipated sales wouldn't justify the cost. But, given how much they retail for second hand maybe I'm wrong and there's another reason.

• I would assume it's purely financial, that anticipated sales wouldn't justify the cost. But, given how much they retail for second hand maybe I'm wrong and there's another reason.

yes I’ve been looking on eBay for around two years for these, there was a set of four that went for £400 in Germany last month and I forget to bid!. I was pig sick for a week afterwards!. There is a set of 5 for a ridiculous amount of well over £1500 on eBay USA. They just don’t seem to drop in price. I’m guessing the first one (possibly the most sort after) won’t go down in price and it usually sells for over £225. I’d like them but not that much. There are probably many 1,000s of new fans since 2007 and I’d bet a lot of these are wanting these as much as I do!.

• I am pretty sure they will make them available again once the tour will really happen. Blu-ray seems to be the medium for this. Perhaps a CD/Blu-ray package...?

As it has already been mastered for DVD, I suspect that is how it will be re-issued, if ever. It would have to be remastered for Blu-ray, whereas it's a simple (and cheap!) reissue.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Official Post

Selling England was available on blu-Ray audio. The high res was done for SACD so I see no reason why they should release it on a substandard DVD? DVDs are not that popular anymore anyway and there’s no point to rerelease it without making it available in high resolution.
    would be the same if they made when in Rome available again - but only on DVD. This one will come for sure ... on Blu-ray