Rank your favourite Genesis members outside of Genesis.

• I came to know SMALLCREEP'S DAY through the U.S. vinyl version, which has the suite on side 2 and the other 5 songs on side 1. To me, the album wouldn't work nearly as well with the suite on side 1.

I'm also highly fond of "Overnight Job." Another case of different people hearing the same song differently. I guess it makes a better side 1 closer than album closer.

Monsieur Neddy wears spectacles in bed, that he may see dreams more clearly.

-- "Dream Gerrard," Traffic

• I came to know SMALLCREEP'S DAY through the U.S. vinyl version, which has the suite on side 2 and the other 5 songs on side 1. To me, the album wouldn't work nearly as well with the suite on side 1.

I recall being slightly annoyed by the switched sides on the CD version.

Since then, I've embraced it.

It has a more subtle opening now, somewhat in the vein of Down And Out, and I'm OK with that.

And Overnight Job and Every Road are among my favourite songs on the album - and I'm always happy to end an album on a high note.

• Number One is Phil by a country mile. None of the others come close. His lyrics hit home, he's a musical prodigy, top-hole drummer and composer, soulful vocalist and he always picked the best musicians for his albums and tours. And being a jazz fan, I love his stuff with Brand X and the big band stuff he did in the late nineties. And then you have the stuff he did with Eno, Robert Plant, John Martyn, Eric Clapton and so on and so forth. Apparently, you judge a man by the company he keeps; I'd say, in musical circles, Phil is up there with the cream of the crop.

After that I would say Peter, certainly his albums from PG3 up to UP have got some great stuff on them. The downside is that a lot of it is over-produced and over-wrought. I prefer spontaneity in music, not the endless tinkering for which Gabriel has become infamous. It smacks of indulgence - a lot like Kate Bush; these people don't have to work for a living so they lounge around. If a shelf-stacker in Asda worked at the rate Gabriel does, he wouldn't make it past his first shift before being shown the door.

After Peter, I'd put Tony, Steve and Mike in the same boat. They've all done some great stuff but not for a long time and certainly not enough to make me a fan, although I've bought albums by all three of them.