Rank your favourite Genesis members outside of Genesis.

• I came to know SMALLCREEP'S DAY through the U.S. vinyl version, which has the suite on side 2 and the other 5 songs on side 1. To me, the album wouldn't work nearly as well with the suite on side 1.

I'm also highly fond of "Overnight Job." Another case of different people hearing the same song differently. I guess it makes a better side 1 closer than album closer.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• I came to know SMALLCREEP'S DAY through the U.S. vinyl version, which has the suite on side 2 and the other 5 songs on side 1. To me, the album wouldn't work nearly as well with the suite on side 1.

I recall being slightly annoyed by the switched sides on the CD version.

Since then, I've embraced it.

It has a more subtle opening now, somewhat in the vein of Down And Out, and I'm OK with that.

And Overnight Job and Every Road are among my favourite songs on the album - and I'm always happy to end an album on a high note.

• Number One is Phil by a country mile. None of the others come close. His lyrics hit home, he's a musical prodigy, top-hole drummer and composer, soulful vocalist and he always picked the best musicians for his albums and tours. And being a jazz fan, I love his stuff with Brand X and the big band stuff he did in the late nineties. And then you have the stuff he did with Eno, Robert Plant, John Martyn, Eric Clapton and so on and so forth. Apparently, you judge a man by the company he keeps; I'd say, in musical circles, Phil is up there with the cream of the crop.

After that I would say Peter, certainly his albums from PG3 up to UP have got some great stuff on them. The downside is that a lot of it is over-produced and over-wrought. I prefer spontaneity in music, not the endless tinkering for which Gabriel has become infamous. It smacks of indulgence - a lot like Kate Bush; these people don't have to work for a living so they lounge around. If a shelf-stacker in Asda worked at the rate Gabriel does, he wouldn't make it past his first shift before being shown the door.

After Peter, I'd put Tony, Steve and Mike in the same boat. They've all done some great stuff but not for a long time and certainly not enough to make me a fan, although I've bought albums by all three of them.

• I like of them but nonetheless i will try my best to rank them,

My list is

1.PG

2.RW

3. SH

4. PC

5. MR

6. AP

7. TB

I proud of them all..:):*

• Totally agree with everything said about Phil. I was listening to a few songs from his peak period today and he really wrote and performed some amazing songs. As a live performer he was during this period so super energetic and talented.

• Number One is Phil by a country mile. None of the others come close. His lyrics hit home, he's a musical prodigy, top-hole drummer and composer, soulful vocalist and he always picked the best musicians for his albums and tours. And being a jazz fan, I love his stuff with Brand X and the big band stuff he did in the late nineties. And then you have the stuff he did with Eno, Robert Plant, John Martyn, Eric Clapton and so on and so forth. Apparently, you judge a man by the company he keeps; I'd say, in musical circles, Phil is up there with the cream of the crop.

After that I would say Peter, certainly his albums from PG3 up to UP have got some great stuff on them. The downside is that a lot of it is over-produced and over-wrought. I prefer spontaneity in music, not the endless tinkering for which Gabriel has become infamous. It smacks of indulgence - a lot like Kate Bush; these people don't have to work for a living so they lounge around. If a shelf-stacker in Asda worked at the rate Gabriel does, he wouldn't make it past his first shift before being shown the door.

After Peter, I'd put Tony, Steve and Mike in the same boat. They've all done some great stuff but not for a long time and certainly not enough to make me a fan, although I've bought albums by all three of them.

Totally agree with everything said about Phil. I was listening to a few songs from his peak period today and he really wrote and performed some amazing songs. As a live performer he was during this period so super energetic and talented.

Phil has had an amazing discovery when it comes to bands, the same with Steve Hackett normally as a guest appearance .

Phil has been in so many bands to list!...... He also has been mentioned in my favourite band Camel and appeared as a guest with one of my favourite tracks "Ice"..... Another favourite band he appeared on, was with the Italian outfit called "NOVA" during a period with Brand X...

Edited once, last by Noni ().

• Peter and Mike have done a few bits I've liked, but it has to be Phil. He has deservedly had huge success as a solo artist, but Tony and Steve's solo efforts have lacked something. Phil has it all, great musician, writer, singer, and collaborator. It's not just ex-Genesis, it's the same with PF, Dave and Roger's best work was always as members of the band.

• peter's career is the most independent from genesis. he left genesis and he started a solo career with different musicians and a new musical style. his first two albums are very new wave -ish, then he embraced world music... when i listen to other members' solo work, i can't help missing genesis, but that doesn't happen when i listen to peter gabriel. his music is a world apart.

• oh wow I could write an essay, and probably will.

First off I believe that all the major players in Genesis history have made great contributions to the music of Genesis and beyond. Taking Banks, Collins, Gabriel, Hackett, Rutherford and Phillips....six of the very best.

As for my personal favourites? Are we talking for their music or my perception of their personality? their contributions beyond music?

I don't think I can rank them but here goes my essay. Not in any ranking order. Alphabetical order according to surname

Tony Banks: His solo rock material is actually very good but infuriatingly he never settled on a way to present it....swapping singers and side musicians from project to project. He could have been very successful with the material he wrote. Now his orchestral work has gained a good deal of respect I really must investigate it, as his love of dramatic chord structures suits the orchestra. Probably far less influential outside Genesis than he deserves.

Phil Collins: What can you say about Phil? Omnipresent throughout the 80s and half the 90s. While his solo output is generally on the less adventurous side, it's undeniably high quality. Phil Collins wrote and sang songs that will be in the collective consciousness for decades to come. And he was a decent screen actor. In the 70s and 80s he guested on so many other musicians' projects, usually drumming but sometimes producing or singing backing vocals. His list of studio credits is almost unbelievable. And let's not forget Brand X. By any definition, an impressive body of work.

PG - Fascinating composer and musician. All his solo albums are different and have their own feel/moods. The consistently high quality of his solo work is undeniable, even if the frequency of it has been maddeningly low these past 25 years. But he's also a campaigner, an activist and an innovator. His early use of what we might now call "multimedia", creation of WOMAD, melding of musical styles and promotion of non-Western/European musicians speak for themselves.

Steve Hackett: The only one of the G-men who I have met, and he was a total gentleman. Outside of fandom, not as well known as he should be. The number of kids who think Eddie Van Halen invented tapping. Who else can make a guitar sound like so many other different things? Evoke moods at the touch of a string? His solo output did dip in the late 80s and 90s but since Darktown he's been putting out high quality work again - though of late not really moving beyond those existing stagnant music forms. Probably the most busy (ex) member of Genesis over the last decade or so too.

Mike Rutherford: Can't argue with Smallcreep. Right up there with Acolyte and Fish Out Of Water in terms of great solo albums from members of prog bands. Mike & The Mechanics aren't really my jam apart from the first album and perhaps Rewired....and there is no arguing that they are "the most successful side project in rock history". Mike is very adept at getting his feelings succinctly down into a 4 minute song.

Anthony Phillips: Has probably released more material than any of his former bandmates. Almost none of it saw any kind of commercial success but almost all of it is beautiful. His prog days are long gone but he continues to delight with chord/key changes that only Ant would ever dream up. Damn it, get together with Banks and do an orchestral record featuring Spanish and 12-string guitar together.

I suppose Mike Rutherford is my least favourite, but that's just because his main projects outside Genesis don't float my boat. I see the quality, it's just not often my thing. On the other hand I thought his book was great and provided insights into his childhood and adulthood.

Ray Wilson....I really should get around to listening to his stuff after he was unceremoniously dumped by Genesis. His voice is very expressive and I suspect he's a very good songwriter.

• I heartily recommend to check out Ray's stuff. It certainly exceeded my expectations, and somehow he's still getting better. You can't do much wrong with his current album "The Weight of Man".

• oh wow I could write an essay, and probably will.

Well written conclusion and I think you nailed it on their summaries :thumbup: I would add though that Steve Hackett is the only member of ex- Genesis playing the old Genesis material and doing it rather well I must say.

Could not of done this better myself ;)

I have also met Steve Hackett. Such a nice guy and well spoken.

• My list:

PC: No Jacket Required.

PG: So.

MR: Mike + Mechanics 1985.

TB: Strictly Inc.

SH: Access All Areas.

AP: The Living Room Concert.

RW: Change.

8)

Edited 2 times, last by rkive ().

• I thought I'd piggyback this question onto this thread rather than post it in individual solo threads.

I'm compiling a selection of solo tracks, and the ones I'm less familiar with are Phillips and Wilson (hmmm, Wilson Phillips - could be a band name). I want to include one track from each. Could anyone here more familiar with their work make any suggestions?

I know Wise, Sides, 1984 and Invisible Men, and some of the PP&Ps. But any other tips would be welcome. As for RW, I know nothing.

Bear in mind though: with the others, I for instance much prefer Fugitive to Curious, strongly favour PC's first two, don't much care for Smallcreep's, and think PG3 is the best of the solo albums by some distance. I've got all those guys sorted, but thought that might be a useful guide to where my tastes lie.

Thanks in advance!

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

RAY WILSON:

A couple of tracks to suggest

Makes Me Think Of Home

Show Me The Way

Frequency

American Beauty

I, Like You

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!