• Automatic for the people is a fantastic album. They never really got anywhere near that again for me. I know Stipe's been quoted as saying New adventures in HI-FI was their peak and his favourite album. Automatic for the people is their only album that i don't skip a single track.

• Official Post

Speaking of Michael Stipe

I wonder when his long awaited solo album will be finished …

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Automatic for the people is a fantastic album. They never really got anywhere near that again for me. I know Stipe's been quoted as saying New adventures in HI-FI was their peak and his favourite album. Automatic for the people is their only album that i don't skip a single track.

And I feel that way about Out Of Time, whereas on Automatic there is Ignoreland, Star Me Kiitten & the instrumental, all of which people who say how great the album is tend to overlook. They say 'but Shiny Happy People' (and occasionally 'but Radio Song'') as if those two tracks invalidate the whole Out Of Time album. I like both tracks.

• They say 'but Shiny Happy People' (and occasionally 'but Radio Song'') as if those two tracks invalidate the whole Out Of Time album. I like both tracks.

Yeah I detest both, I think they're the two worst things they did but they certainly don't drag the whole album down. It's got Low and Belong on, which are two of my absolute favourites. In that sense it makes for a somewhat frustrating album but not a bad one by any stretch.

Probably the same people who praise Automatic like the tracks you mention and don't regard them as drag factors, same as how you don't consider Radio or Shiny that way.

I'm very much a Green and New Adventures person.

Abandon all reason

• Probably the same people who praise Automatic like the tracks you mention and don't regard them as drag factors, same as how you don't consider Radio or Shiny that way.

I'm very much a Green and New Adventures person.

Just shows everybody's different and I am more pop/soft rock orientated, i know pop's a dirty word to some but you like what you like. Sometimes it's amazing how one leads to another, I was only born in 84 and my Dad had a VHS of serious hits live. I loved it as a kid and it got me in to Phil Collins which got me in to Genesis and all though i still prefer later Genesis 's later stuff i do enjoy Musical Box, Dance on a volcano and Lamb lies down on Broadway.

Just to finish on REM they brought an album out in the early 2000's 'around the sun' which i thought was terrible apart from one song the first single 'leaving New York' The lyrics are so straight forward by Stipe standards but they don't half hit the spot when you're in the mood and depending on what's happening in your life.

• I few skippable tracks don't mar an album for me that much. I like Ignoreland, although I agree about skipping the other two. I quite like Shiny Happy People. The lyrics are supposed to sound dumb as they are a parody of government propaganda and the music is great pop.