Who are your favourite top ten current bands or artists?

• I watched the Gimme Sympathy video which was OK, then randomly watched Risk which was much more to my taste. That said, I'll be honest and admit I loved ogling the singer's beautiful legs in the Gimme video. Anyway, lovely legs aside, I'll probe Metric a bit more. My jury is still out on Lizzo having watched two videos, R&B isn't a strong point for me but she seems a better quality example of the genre.

I just recently heard a couple of things by Ghostpoet, do you know his stuff at all? It's got elements of electronica and trip-hop, he's certainly a bit Trickyesque in his delivery. I heard one called something like Nowhere To Hide Now (or Nowhere To Run To maybe) which was really interesting with very nice textures, I recommend it.

Gimme Sympathy is more poppy and accessible. Risk is a great song and has a nice sense of urgency.

I've been listening Pixx so far - quite a diversity of stuff, some more minimalist and some richer. Good sense of melody, with a nice alto in the lead singer. Still have to get to the others.

I know not Ghostpoet, so will add that to the list.

• Apart from Rush, I like your list. :)

• Top 10

Twelfth Night including Geoff Mann,s solo work.

Camel

Harmonium

Millenium

Metamorphosis

Quarterna Requiem

Pendragon

IQ plus the Lens

Ryan Yard

Ben Craven.........................................

Othere include

Aliante

Maple Mountain Sunset

Chasing The Monsoon

Gotic

Vitral

Fifth Season

William D Drake

Like Wendy

La Dottrina Degli Opposti

Sanhedrin

• I forgot to mention that the Gimme Sympathy video is essentially all one take, with the band members changing positions and instruments off camera.

Pip Blorn reminds me a bit of various 90s ear guitar bands, but I also think of X, the LA punk band. Not bad, although not quite what I am most into.

Now Julia Holter is quite interesting - much more experimental. I am reminded of very different artists depending on what track I listen to, from late 60s Beach Boys to Bjork.

• I forgot to mention that the Gimme Sympathy video is essentially all one take, with the band members changing positions and instruments off camera.

Pip Blorn reminds me a bit of various 90s ear guitar bands, but I also think of X, the LA punk band. Not bad, although not quite what I am most into.

Now Julia Holter is quite interesting - much more experimental. I am reminded of very different artists depending on what track I listen to, from late 60s Beach Boys to Bjork.

Interesting re the Gimme video, I'll re-watch with that in mind... as well as the legs...

I know what you mean re Pip Blom. Glad you're finding Holter interesting. The particular track I mentioned is a real favourite of mine, very 'me'. It's like all these sounds have coalesced and you're caught up in them, and at any moment it might tip over into mayhem, but just about doesn't. I think I get the references you made.

Do you know any Angel Olsen? I've been listening to her a lot and thoroughly enjoyed a pre-lockdown gig in London.

Abandon all reason

• Even though I play a lot of "prog" music for the purposes of this poll I will list 10 of my favourite discoveries over the past few years. I listen to a wide variety of music and even at 55 I think there is so much good modern music. Backdrifter and Dr. John have mentioned some good artists (some I have not heard of yet) so here goes.

Manchester Orchestra

Aurora

The Orielles

Caroline Polachek (solo or as Romana Lisa or Chairlift)

Family Of The Year

The Head And The Heart

The Regrettes

Metric

The Paper Kites

Still Corners

That was hard - could have listed so many more and ask me tomorrow the list will change

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• My list changes daily. I like this because I have never heard of any if these bands . I will pick a few at random and hear what they are like.

• Another group of artists I don't know. :rolleyes:

• Don't know any of these artists ^^

Mixture of stuff I discovered on college radio, from shazam-ing background music on shows and going deep down the rabbit hole of 'similar artists' on Google play so it's a pretty obscure bunch! Except Beach House which is a fairly big dream pop band from Baltimore. Their last album 7 was terrific (the whole thing has an ethereal Hairless Heart vibe). I think Lucy Dacus did a cover of In The Air Tonight recently.

I should note that, as much as I'm currently listening to them, I doubt any of them would be on a list of my 10 all time favorite bands/artists (that would have Genesis, Pink Floyd, Suede, Smashing Pumpkins, Cure etc). A couple of albums from them would comfortably be in my top 10 or 20 if I ever made such lists though. I really like Brodie Dalle's solo album and the aforementioned 7.

• I should note that, as much as I'm currently listening to them, I doubt any of them would be on a list of my 10 all time favorite bands/artists (that would have Genesis, Pink Floyd, Suede, Smashing Pumpkins, Cure etc). A couple of albums from them would comfortably be in my top 10 or 20 if I ever made such lists though. I really like Brodie Dalle's solo album and the aforementioned 7.

I guessed that a bunch of Genesis fans would have mostly defunct bands as their all time favourites ,mine are . Which is why I put this out there. My active bands favourites have been going for years . I have an ex Motorhead and three from the Hawkwind family. Nik Turner due to turn 80 in August. ( We are due to see him at a festival late August though don't know what will be happening.) It's nice to see lists with a whole bunch of new and different artists. I used to be on the lookout for new stuff but generally stick to what I know now. Its good to keep keep new music alive .

• I like this because I have never heard of any if these bands . I will pick a few at random and hear what they are like.

I have a large collection of music and even though I have my favourite artists/bands I am always listening to new ones. There really is some great new music out there as long as you are willing to listen to different genres and test your limits.

What has helped me is watching Jools Holland on TV (he showcases up and coming bands). My eldest son is also a huge music fan and he has introduced me to many of these bands and we have even been to a few concerts together. I am currently listening to London Grammer which is a band he told me about a few years ago

“Without music, life would be a mistake”