Your favorite tracks on ... "Foxtrot"

• For me these are the top tracks (in no particular order):

Watcher Of The Skies - ultimate album opener

Can-Utility And The Coastliners - underrated deep cut

Supper's Ready - the epic of all epics!

• I've grown to like this album less over the years whilst, conversely, I like Nursery Cryme so much more. I just feel that Nursery Cryme hangs together so much more successfully than Foxtrot.

Supper's Ready, of course, is great and I've always liked Get 'Em Out By Friday and Can-Utility And The Coastliners but Time Table is dull and Horizons is ever duller. And the album cover is terrible!

Pretty much agree with all of this. I find NC more interesting. As Foxtrot goes, it's probably the easiest 'pick 3' of all the albums for me, being so imbalanced by the presence of Suppers Ready. Watcher is a dynamite opener, and as others have pointed out, Can Utility is a great "deep cut".

I always thought of Get 'Em Out as a lesser cousin of Hogweed.

• Foxtrot turns 50 these days. We're not 100% sure when exactly, 22nd September seems to be a likely release date, but 100% proof is still missing. If you have such a proof (please don't post Wikipedia links!), please let us know.

FWIW, Mario Giammetti in his book says the release date for “Foxtrot” was 6th October, 1972. Perhaps he was/is guessing too? 🤷‍♂️ In that date’s favor, both “Chapter & Verse” and Alan Hewitt’s bio of the band say October as well (although I’d only regard the former in any way authoritative).

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• FWIW, Mario Giammetti in his book says the release date for “Foxtrot” was 6th October, 1972. Perhaps he was/is guessing too? 🤷‍♂️ In that date’s favor, both “Chapter & Verse” and Alan Hewitt’s bio of the band say October as well (although I’d only regard the former in any way authoritative).

I bought Foxtrot the day after its release - I would have bought it on the actual day but none of the shops in town had it in and I had to go back the next day. Sadly I can't recall the exact date but my feeling is that it was September rather than October, I saw them only a few days after the supposed October release and had certainly owned the album for a few weeks by then, which would indicate an earlier date. I did also get Lindisfarne's Dingly Dell at the same time, which was released on the same day, and is generally agreed to be a September release.

• Christian

Changed the title of the thread from “50th Anniversary - Your favorite tracks on ... "Foxtrot"” to “Your favorite tracks on ... "Foxtrot"”.