Wet Wet Wet. Confession.

• A couple of years ago Mrs Farmer went see Wet Wet Wet with some work friends. Neither of us liked wet wet wet but she wanted to go along for fun as most of the others were going . I couldn't imagine a worse time . She borrowed a bunch of albums and put them on the I pod. I always skipped past when they came on shuffle however every now and again I would listen to one and I found I was enjoying it!! Quite soulful at times . Not really what I expected , the hits I kept hearing in the 80's were bloody annoying. ( And so was the one that popped up yesterday!!) They'll never enter my top 100 but I guess it's not uncommon to find groups do a lot of album material material different from the more commercial singles. I can think of one or two of my own favourites that that applies to!!!!

• I'm sure you're not being totally serious in including "confession" in the thread title, at least I hope not. I've met too many rock fans who act all furtive about liking stuff beyond rock or prog, especially pop, as though it's something to be ashamed of! On a related tangent, not that you mentioned it but I hate this concept of "guilty pleasures" that took hold a couple of decades ago. Unless you enjoy torturing kittens or shoplifting none of us should have any guilt about our pleasures.

Anyway, good for you for getting your Wet Wet Wet "confession" off your chest. Yes it can often be the case that bands known for their hit singles have some gems among their album tracks. But unless you're already a fan of that band and investing in their albums you'll usually never get to hear any of this stuff.

Abandon all reason

• They were part of my music listening when I was younger. I still have most of their albums but since tastes change I don't play them very often now - occasionally a song will crop up on my ipod. They did make some good tunes

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• I'm sure you're not being totally serious in including "confession" in the thread title, at least I hope not. I've met too many rock fans who act all furtive about liking stuff beyond rock or prog, especially pop, as though it's something to be ashamed of! On a related tangent, not that you mentioned it but I hate this concept of "guilty pleasures" that took hold a couple of decades ago. Unless you enjoy torturing kittens or shoplifting none of us should have any guilt about our pleasures.

Anyway, good for you for getting your Wet Wet Wet "confession" off your chest. Yes it can often be the case that bands known for their hit singles have some gems among their album tracks. But unless you're already a fan of that band and investing in their albums you'll usually never get to hear any of this stuff.

You are absolutely right in every way. I actually really really dislike the concept of what you should or shouldn't like. Part of the reason for my tongue in cheek "confession" was that it did get to a point once many years ago when I strongly believed that people should not have bought that single which was number one for several years as it was played so often it drove me to distraction. It still makes my skin crawl when I hear it.

• Through the Barricades by Spandau Ballet was on the radio today. I've seen them play it live. Great song!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I would have always steered myself away from those types of bands, but I really liked Take That's comeback album when it came out.

Another one that I listened to a ton was Justin Timberlake's futuresex/lovesounds.

It does pay to have an open mind about music.

• I can't think where else to put this so I'll mention it here. Thinking about attitudes to music, and the very arms-folded eschewing of pop music by many rock and prog fans, as opposed to the more open-minded attitude being shown in this thread.

I suppose this is kind of the opposite, or at least a different angle. On the TV quiz show Pointless, a contestant was asked what his music tastes are. He pulled a sort of 'guilty' face and said in a sheepish way, "Well... sorry, but... prog rock I'm afraid... Yes I know... ssshhh!"

I wanted to lamp the pillock. I'm not exactly the greatest prog fan apart from about 5 or 6 bands and rarely ever like any modern prog I'm directed to. But this notion of prog being the great embarrassing unmentionable genre, only to be referred to in a mocking/dismissive way, really pisses me off. It's a recognised and perfectly legitimate genre. This stupid sheepish apologetic tone some adopt about their prog fandom only adds to it.

Abandon all reason

• I wanted to lamp the pillock. I'm not exactly the greatest prog fan apart from about 5 or 6 bands and rarely ever like any modern prog I'm directed to. But this notion of prog being the great embarrassing unmentionable genre, only to be referred to in a mocking/dismissive way, really pisses me off. It's a recognised and perfectly legitimate genre. This stupid sheepish apologetic tone some adopt about their prog fandom only adds to it.

Well said. I think prog gets the same kind of rep as science fiction. Uncool or nerdy or something. I'm sure these stereotypes have been promulgated countless times in popular culture, social media, school corridors etc. I know I was not cool for liking Genesis in school (it was the 90s. Kurt Cobain was God). No one should feel embarrassed to admit enjoying these things. But... some people (let's call them assholes) can be very judgemental and others (asshole enablers?) can be very self conscious. If I ever give a high school graduation speech I'm certain to conclude with 'don't enable the assholes, kids'. Or something to that effect.