Your favorite tracks on ... "Trespass"

• That may be true (it's not really, I'm pretty lucky all things considered) but any issues I may or may not have are completely unrelated to the topic at hand.

I think you lack perspective, that's the issue at hand and it's wholly related to the topic. Ergo, I can't really believe that anyone would take Trespass over any of those albums listed.

• I was wrong. :( The Genesis line actually goes "how could I be so blind"!

Anyway, if we're asked to compare apples with oranges, I'll take "Stagnation" over "Dig it" any day. It's a highly subjective thing, though.

• I really only have one favourite track from this album (I do like them all).

‘Looking for Someone’ is possibly my favourite Genesis track of all. Having said that, I think I’ve said that, before, about another number.

• Stagnation, Knife, Looking for Someone.

I prefer this album to Nursery Cryme. NC may be closer to the classic Genesis sound/lineup, but I think Trespass is underrated.

My least favourite is probably White Mountain, which is a bit corny, but it's still a good track. Considering how young he was Peter found his voice really early on.

I actually heard Seconds Out before this so when the instrumental break at the end of Stagnation came on there was such a thrill of recognition, obviously from the live version IKWIL. Embarrassingly I didn't spot the lift from Visions of Angels on IKWIL until years later, when someone pointed it out on the old Paperlate mailing list. No idea how I could have missed it!

I've said elsewhere I find NC somewhat cold, which is probably why I like this one better.

• Official Post

TRESPASS celebrated its 50th release anniversary a few days ago. I wonder who of you here in the forum has been born BEFORE the album release? Not me actually ....

• I was five at the time. I remember thinking that it was a definite improvement on FGTR.

But I also remember thinking that they could probably do with a better drummer.

And then I went back to thinking about Camberwick Green

• I was five at the time. I remember thinking that it was a definite improvement on FGTR.

But I also remember thinking that they could probably do with a better drummer.

And then I went back to thinking about Camberwick Green

Yes I was 5 too and thought the same things, realising it was clearly a very interesting development of their sound and feeling intrigued about where it would take them next. "Why" I thought, "if they play their cards right they could potentially establish themselves as a classic band in the history of progressive rock, even though I've never heard that term before and am focused on grappling with my first month in primary school and having as many sweets as possible".

Abandon all reason

• I was not yet born when this one came out. My picks were Looking for Someone, Stagnation, and The Knife.

Stagnation is my favorite of the bunch. It was a good indication of things to come. You had the first extended keyboard solo showing Tony preferred substance to speed, the loud bits, the quiet bits, different musical themes - it was Genesis finally arrived! It even has my favorite John Mayhew drumming moment. Nearer to the end during the "I want to sit down" section he does two minimal drum fills which come off just behind the beat. It's perfect and actually sounds Collins-esque to me.

• My mother got pregnant with me around the time Trespass was released, so I was born in the summer between Trespass and Nursery Cryme. As for my faves I like the a-side, but feel the b-side is something else.

• I would have been six.

It would be another eight years before I heard my first Genesis song - or at least heard a song on the radio that piqued my interest enough for me to take note of the band.