The Dividing Line.

• I have listened to the Dividing Line a fair bit recently. What a great track. Although I have been singing the praises if RW lately I found myself imagining Phil singing it. No disrespect but I really think this would have been a classic Genesis song had it been done by Phil.

• It is a great Genesis track and is as good as many of their longer tracks from previous albums.

I prefer the live version, where you have a real guitar battle (Drennan/Rutherford) and an even more dramatic finale

• I prefer the live version, where you have a real guitar battle (Drennan/Rutherford) and an even more dramatic finale

I agree that the guitar duel is a true highlight of the song (and something they'd never done before) but the ending is somewhat overwrought. After all, The Dividing Line is one of the few songs on the album to have a genuine ending so I don't know why they didn't just go with that.

The song, though, is outstanding. It seems to me to be a Banks lyric, a typically astute observation on society from the reassuringly left-wing keyboard player. The synth bass, the whip-crack of Nir Z's drumming and Rutherford's bombastic guitar playing really show just how much effort the band were putting into making Genesis as vital a musical force as they'd ever been. A pity, then, that the PR department didn't put the same amount of effort into relaunching Genesis for a new era.

• I have listened to the Dividing Line a fair bit recently. What a great track. Although I have been singing the praises if RW lately I found myself imagining Phil singing it. No disrespect but I really think this would have been a classic Genesis song had it been done by Phil.

I've always said that it is a great song and it is one of the few tracks of the Genesis catalogue I can imagine sung by either Ray, Phil and even Peter. It isn't always the case.

• It interests me that CAS has now acquired at least 4 threads associated with it. I'm pretty sure if you added up all the posts across the various threads, it would be the most-discussed Genesis album on this board.

Favourite tracks on CAS

Is CAS the worst album?

I Love CAS

I make it a total 138 posts so far, way more than any of the other albums. Not sure what to make of that but we have a lot to say about this (some say) controversial/disappointing/divisive album.

Abandon all reason

• You misspelled 'criminally underrated' 😜

• Things that divide fans are more likely to generate interesting or colourful conversation.

If you started a thread entitled "I love A Trick of the Tail" I don't expect the discussion would get too heated in there. :)