GENESIS - UK/Ireland Tour 2020 rescheduled for FALL 2021

• Why could they not postpone till next year. I can't see it happening anytime this year

Totally agreed. This announcement is exciting but they should have waited for Covid contagion level to go down from RED as it is now to ORANGE at least. Mutant strains are STILL surfacing globally.

Just noticing besides there being only one drummer who is playing a conventional style, all the members are seated except for Mike and the background singers.

But I wish the well!

• Totally agreed. This announcement is exciting but they should have waited for Covid contagion level to go down from RED as it is now to ORANGE at least. Mutant strains are STILL surfacing globally.

Just noticing besides there being only one drummer who is playing a conventional style, all the members are seated except for Mike and the background singers.

But I wish the well!

A very eagle-eyed fan on youtube actually spotted a drumkit which I can now see too in that video and its strategically placed behind the backing singers. If like me you're being distracted by the music I suggest muting the audio and watching each scene step by step like the rabid Genesis fans that we are :P

• Official Post

Just joined the forum, glad to be here.

Any idea if they'll tour the States after this? I need to see them, as I'm way overdue!

Thanks.

welcome!

There is no official word yet but it’s likely that further legs of this tour are at least considered and that will also include the states. So just hope this UK tour will go well!

• There's a film sequence with marching people wearing gags. What song could that be intended for? I came to think of a line in Carpet Crawlers: "There's only one direction in the faces that I see." That's how I perceive people when out on time – faces without expression.

Or maybe Land Of Confusion will be illustrated with a scene from our present insane society?

• Official Post

Don't even joke about that!

would love to hear and see that!

Abacab turns 40 this year ...

• Well now we know the dates have been posponed.

I think the stage looks great...really imaginative with the movable "dominoes" above providing lighting effects and what looks like front projection plus video screens behind them. It looks more clean than the setup for TIOA.

A few more points/observations

1. They have already spent a lot of money having this stage setup designed and built. We know the design process takes weeks and a LOT of money. The build process likely wasn't cheap either. They fully intend to tour....and to take that stage out more than the small number of dates so far announced. I'm sure they are rich enough to pay everyone off without touring but the intention is to tour....calls to cancel it or miffed fans saying "It's going to be cancelled" are wide of the mark.

2. In all likelihood they'll tour in the manner Phil was touring up to 2019. A few weeks on, a couple of months off to recuperate....a few weeks on again, perhaps a different country/continent. I can see them doing Britain and Ireland first....Continental Europe in a second leg perhaps over Christmas or early 2022....the USA and Canada....taking breaks between legs just like Phil did. What Phil has proved is that you don't need a juggernaut 9 months of constant touring. You can spread it out, giving ample time to rest and see family.

3. I'm fascinated by the imagery in the 50 second clip.

3a. The concrete slabs falling one after another are surely going to accompany Domino.

3b. I think the hundreds of masked men and what looks like some government type building are Land Of Confusion

3c. The red eyes and face.....now this really is interesting. The face kind of looks like the Squonk as drawn on the TotT cover. But the red eyes look positively evil and the squonk isn't evil at all. Could it be for the 666 section of Apocalypse in 9/8? We know at least Phil and Tony want to do part of Supper. Is it Watcher of the Skies? Nic is known to be a fan of this song, and of drumming on it. Perhaps an instrumental version as Phil has never sung this? Is there a small chance it's a wolf from White Mountain? One eye is more red than the other..."one eye"? Or is it a new sinister face for Mama? Or for Second Home By The Sea? It could feasibly fit any of these. Could it even be the Old Man from Musical Box? Though those evil eyes suggest something more sinister.

4. What little we can hear sounds great.

5. Backing singers have caused great consternation. I don't understand why, Pink Floyd had a whole group of them from 1987 onwards. It doesn't necessarily mean Phil can't sing. We know he can. A lot of the Gabriel era songs Phil doubled Pete's vocals or sang an octave higher or did some vocal harmony. The backing singers could be brought on to achieve this. On some later songs Tony sang backing vocals. We know Tony doesn't really enjoy this so perhaps the backing vocalists are there to sing some of his parts? Or maybe they've done some totally new vocal arrangements with some singing of notes (rather than words) on some of the instrumental tracks? Or maybe they really *are* doing White Mountain and they need someone to be the "Anthony Phillips Male Voice Choir".

Thoughts?

• Why could they not postpone till next year. I can't see it happening anytime this year

Of course it will .I always thought.even when the April dates were announced that it would be postponed until autumn this year . I will be proved. right once again.

• Official Post

Not happening.

not useful ... your comment ;)

absinthe_boy you nailed it!

• It’s a shame for those who are going to the Hackett show the same night , I really feel for them and it’s a pity that they didn’t look at Steve’s Dates before picking that particular evening.

• Official Post

On the other hand ... will those shows take place in September already anyway?

• On the other hand ... will those shows take place in September already anyway?

I can’t see why not?, if the Genesis shows are going to happen would Steve alter his dates I can’t see that , after all his dates were announced first?. But as you have suggested with the overlapping dates , probably a lot of folks will be wishing to attend both shows?, I can’t see Fans been purely Steve Hackett fans if they are going to see a Seconds Out revisited show!. September for me is going to be the most congested month ever for concerts I’ve up to press got 11 concerts in that month now!.

Edited 3 times, last by Wayne ().

• oh oh oh .... stunning teaser, I am REALLY looking forward to seeing this!

About the additional singers - is that really a problem? Pink Floyd did that for years and I can't see a reason why it shouldn't happen here. In fact, stuff like Duchess might benefit a lot from that. Remember that Phil also did all the backing vocals and harmony vocals on the albums.

some are wise ... and some otherwise