GENESIS - UK/Ireland Tour 2020 rescheduled for FALL 2021

• Eric and Van Morrison have revealed their true colors (again in Eric's case as Backdrifter points out, and possibly in VM's case, he's long been known as a cantankerous bollocks but he may or may not have a track record of true unsavoriness, I wouldn't know).

• I’m confused. Not to start another debate over this stuff but in reality doesn’t that decision (mask/vaccine requirements) reside with the government? Does me mean he will only play in cities where there are no such requirements?

I guess that's why he is only playing in the South Eastern states. I saw a piece on the BBC the other day where they said that big Republican Trump supporting states like Florida/Texas and deeply religious states in the south are not taking much notice of Covid. I guess the management went to other venues and stated that Clapton wont play if restrictions would be implemented and they said "bye bye then"!

• I've seen many "SAVE OUR STAGES" billboards since last year. Whenever I drove past one I thought, "If you reopen, we will return." Thankfully live music has come back before the end of summer.

My favorite venue in Atlanta (imagine CBGB's with much cleaner bathrooms and a great dinner menu) used to put up signs if a show was a non-smoking event. Now they give notice if a band has requested that all attendees wear masks and either get vaccinated or show proof of a negative test prior to entry. Last I checked only one night on their calendar this month has full restrictions. Unless they significantly limit ticket sales there's gonna be 200+ people packed in that club like Marlboro-marinated sardines night after night. Thankfully there have been no concert-related outbreaks in my area, which I take as a good sign.

• At least government really seems to remove the last covidiotic rules soon so maybe a tour could be possible in the nearer future. And more artists like Eric could help going back to normal. Sadly, only few have the balls.

In what way is it idiotic to use well understood, proven methods of slowing the spread of a disease to which we have no natural immunity?

Bear in mind you're talking to a scientist here. Not Karen who "researched" things sitting on the toilet.

Further referring to Mr. Clapton. I have huge respect for his musical talents but some of the views he's expressed down the years are......not good.

• Even stranger. The full list of what's in the vaccines is published for all to see. Yet people fold their arms and proclaim "I don't know what's in it! I won't take it! Look how pious and clever I am!".

Take a look at the list of the substances which make up an apple, even one which has not been subjected to pesticides. You'll probably have a heart attack if you look up the constituents of human blood. Just because you don't understand it and didn't pay attention in your biology class, doesn't mean it's dangerous.

• Probably, next week they cancel the UK tour either for all or only for foreigners due to travel restrictions. But I believe they will still make some money out of it. Better than nothing.

No!

• Probably, next week they cancel the UK tour either for all or only for foreigners due to travel restrictions. But I believe they will still make some money out of it. Better than nothing.

Yep scared of that too

Coming from Ireland after getting my full vaccine and cert to prove it. Real kick in the balls

I'll get my money back for everything except the flights but my mental health will take a big hit because of spineless decisions. I should be able to make my choice and if I feel comfortable going to a concert then it should be honoured

• I'll get my money back for everything except the flights but my mental health will take a big hit because of spineless decisions. I should be able to make my choice and if I feel comfortable going to a concert then it should be honoured

Of course that's you forgetting that bands and touring are business's. They need to follow what their insurance company tells them, what the venue tells them etc.

Aside from Dublin, no other shows are cancelled. That was brought about because the Irish government does not have the right balance of people vaccinated.

Some "foreigners" as you put it, are in red list countries. That is why they cannot travel. Not a decision by the band or the band's tour insurance company.

Have a think before you post again,

TGA

• Of course that's you forgetting that bands and touring are business's. They need to follow what their insurance company tells them, what the venue tells them etc.

Some "foreigners" as you put it, are in red list countries. That is why they cannot travel. Not a decision by the band or the band's tour insurance company.

That is right. No one has the responsibility for decisions because everyone is told by someone. Like a Domino principle A tells B tells D tells E tells A. Finally, we do what we're told just like in Milgram's experiment. No surprise so far. Do not have to think about it. Just follow. Still, they are not dead yet. So, maybe we will really see some concert.

No!

• What an odd, oddly hostile post.

I'm hoping the stateside leg goes smoothly. But I can't for a moment imagine what a logistical nightmare it must be to organize events of this scale in different territories with different local rules, fans crossing borders to attend, and worst of all, a dynamic situation where the rules are liable to change at short notice.

• Yep scared of that too

Coming from Ireland after getting my full vaccine and cert to prove it. Real kick in the balls

I'll get my money back for everything except the flights but my mental health will take a big hit because of spineless decisions. I should be able to make my choice and if I feel comfortable going to a concert then it should be honoured

You're only looking at it from 1 point of view though. I don't see these " spineless decisions " you speak of, and find it an insulting thing to say to those involved.

I'm hoping the stateside leg goes smoothly. But I can't for a moment imagine what a logistical nightmare it must be to organize events of this scale in different territories with different local rules, fans crossing borders to attend, and worst of all, a dynamic situation where the rules are liable to change at short notice.

Oh I don't know, I think TGA makes a fair point. Unlike the following characteristically overheated response invoking Milgram, which admittedly made me chuckle.

Abandon all reason

• You're only looking at it from 1 point of view though. I don't see these " spineless decisions " you speak of, and find it an insulting thing to say to those involved.

The covid response is Ireland has been pathetic and its stuck in my mind

Hoepfully I was just reading to much into things and shows will happen it vaccinated and non vaccinated people from abroad permitted to attend

• So disappointing that they remove it silently. I desperately expected the usual empty phrases like: Due to underwhelming demand and unprecedented idiocracy Genesis confirm their unspectacular departure from Ireland for the first time in 100 years. Stay tuned and hold on to your fax machine for even less information because we do not know how internet works.

Funny times.

:D:/:D

No!

This is why Tony Smith is a rich man. It is indeed almost unimaginably difficult, even when there isn't a global plague. Different visa requirements, local union laws, differing regulations regarding safety and so on. All the regular headaches of scheduling travel, booking venues that everyone else is trying to book....Plus all these regulations and laws change over time. The tour manager and their people need to keep on top of all of this, and effectively take the worry away from the musicians.

Regarding "foreigners" travelling to the UK shows, it seems fully vaccinated people from any EU country are now welcome with a couple of PCR related caveats. There are other "green" and "amber" countries too where such travel is permitted. It is hardly the fault of Genesis or Ticketmaster if someone's country of origin has been lax with vaccine rollout, or their countrymen have been hesitant to take them.

• Just want to point out that Ireland has a higher % of its population vaccinated than the UK right now (https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations). They didn't shoot up there overnight. I don't think that was a factor in the decision, I think it's the caseload which is high right now. And unless I'm missing something, I didn't get the impression anyone in this thread was blaming Genesis for canceling shows! Rather the decisions of various authorities (a vocal minority in Ireland has bemoaned the fact that they couldn't achieve what New Zealand achieved), and frustration with the situation itself. But I guess the topic is ripe for misunderstanding.

It seems the delta waves peak hard and fast, then decline rapidly. I read somewhere they expect the decline to start mid-September in the US. I hope that's not too late for them to make the "go no-go" decision about the tour.

What a balls of a situation.

• This is why Tony Smith is a rich man.

Imagine how rich he could have been if only he was not stuck to his fax machine and understood how social media or the internet works. Anyway, I wish him good luck, of course.

Regarding "foreigners" travelling to the UK shows, it seems fully vaccinated people from any EU country are now welcome with a couple of PCR related caveats. There are other "green" and "amber" countries too where such travel is permitted.

As some venues and the NHS let me know also 2nd class people are welcome. Everyone coming from outside the UK must provide a negative corona test and book the second test in advance before entering the country. Green country people do not even have to quarantine whatever their vaccination status is.

The bad thing would be that anyone who travelled with someone who tests positive on day two must quarantine. That is my latest information from last friday.

Hopefully, we all get as rich as Tony S. when we make it and visit every single show in the UK.

No!