GENESIS - UK/Ireland Tour 2020 rescheduled for FALL 2021

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thanks for posting. My God, I feel even worse for Phil than I did. As someone who's been seeing them live since 1977, it's heartbreaking to see how physically beat up he is. I hope he gets through it and can enjoy it but there's a part of me that's thinking "why"? I think that all of you in the UK are fortunate in that you're likely to see an uninterrupted tour; I'm beginning, however, to have serious doubts about the North American tour's viability after a month or so on the road in the UK, the traveling involved in his state, etc. Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a downer; the interview was sobering.

• Was just about to post this video. One year on from that documentary being filmed and he's aged about 5 years. Having seen that documentary I was hopeful it could be a decent show. I'm really not sure he's up to it now.

• I think that all of you in the UK are fortunate in that you're likely to see an uninterrupted tour; I'm beginning, however, to have serious doubts about the North American tour's viability after a month or so on the road in the UK, the traveling involved in his state, etc.

I'm generally optimistic but I do think there might be something in this. I'm glad I'm packing in some of the UK shows and especially excited seeing them in my adopted home nation of Scotland, as well as in my birthplace London. But yeah, I worry how viable the US dates will be, let alone rest of Europe.

As I'd said earlier, I've never been under any illusions about the nature of his performance on this tour. I'd always thought this is a final chance to see one of my favourite bands, despite how different it'd likely be. From the start I thought there's no need for the '?' in the tour title. It will be sad seeing him like this, but I never had any hesitation in seizing the final opportunity to hear the music played live and that overrides any misgivings. I really hope the US and the rest of Europe get that chance too.

Abandon all reason

• As the "Last Hurrah" we all need to do them proud and loudly show our support, gratitude and appreciation for the 50+ years of music we've enjoyed.

As a band, they've always been about much more than just the 'front man' - always about the 'ensemble' with powerful music, strong melodies, captivating arrangements, exciting lighting and visuals. We will still get that on this tour.

If his solo tour is anything to go by, Phil's voice will get stronger as the tour goes on (you just need to watch/listen back to his first Liverpool gig in 2017 compared with, say, Peru in 2019). Undoubtedly he's a bit frailer, but vocal chords are like a muscle and get stronger the more they're used. Yes he's lost some natural range (who hasn't after 30 odd years!) - and you can see how much effort it takes now to get some notes - but he's still got some power when needed.

They will put on one hell of a show, I'm sure - let's get behind them and show our support and love.

• If his solo tour is anything to go by, Phil's voice will get stronger as the tour goes on (you just need to watch/listen back to his first Liverpool gig in 2017 compared with, say, Peru in 2019). Undoubtedly he's a bit frailer, but vocal chords are like a muscle and get stronger the more they're used. Yes he's lost some natural range (who hasn't after 30 odd years!) - and you can see how much effort it takes now to get some notes - but he's still got some power when needed.

Hope you are right. I'm slated to see them on December, by which time he will either sound like Pavarotti or Shane McGowan after chain-smoking 40 cigarettes.

• Phil's appearance has made it's way to an article in the guardian focused mainly on his health, including the comment that it has 'raised concerns on social media'. Hope the tour can go ahead but more than that I hope Phil is ok. He's only 70. He looks very uncomfortable all the time but I'm sure they wouldn't be going out if it wasn't feasible or if he didn't want to.

https://www.theguardian.com/mu…n-barely-hold-a-drumstick

• https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tv…-sparks-concern-fans.html

Article about Phil on BBC Breakfast TV This Morning- Can somebody find the video:

Thanks

Because The Daily Mail is such a trustworthy, respected and respectful newspaper....

While I do agree that in interviews Phil seems frail and his speech is a little slow, he comes alive when he sings. I really don't think he enjoys the publicity side of this any more. he just wants to sing and do the gigs.

And he's made that abundantly clear since first talking about coming out of retirement back in 2016.

• Phil's appearance has made it's way to an article in the guardian focused mainly on his health, including the comment that it has 'raised concerns on social media'. Hope the tour can go ahead but more than that I hope Phil is ok. He's only 70. He looks very uncomfortable all the time but I'm sure they wouldn't be going out if it wasn't feasible or if he didn't want to.

https://www.theguardian.com/mu…n-barely-hold-a-drumstick

Good couple of second mentions there, "the 70-year-old drummer and singer", "the eight-time Grammy Award-winner" and the also rather long-winded "1970s progressive rock band Genesis" - see my wittering on previously about the 'variations enigma'.

Abandon all reason

• Because The Daily Mail is such a trustworthy, respected and respectful newspaper....

While I do agree that in interviews Phil seems frail and his speech is a little slow, he comes alive when he sings. I really don't think he enjoys the publicity side of this any more. he just wants to sing and do the gigs.

And he's made that abundantly clear since first talking about coming out of retirement back in 2016.

I hate those DM online pieces - well, I just hate the DM generally anyway but those web articles are horrible and now, because it was about Genesis and I dumbly clicked on it, I feel stained and ashamed! One thing that bugs me in pieces like this (and the DM is far from alone in this) is how they embed the tweets to show how "twitter was awash with concern" but then quote from them anyway. One of those tweets by the way - "I hope they're not just using him for the tour". Bringing to mind an image of the other two physically dragging him on to a tourbus as he protests.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

I wish I had never posted a link to that Daily Mail Article now, it seems to have upset a few people. :)

Shall I delete it?

Less than two weeks to go now till B'ham. I am getting excited like when I went to Manchester in 2007.

up to you

I think it's always an issue when someone posts links from the yellow press. My personal opinion is: We don't need this. We would never post those links on our website and social media channels. But I do understand it's exciting for fans to see their band in the news everywhere.

• Ok Christian. I have deleted it. I am still getting the mood of this Forum.

Understandable, but I'm sorry I contributed to your feeling of disquiet about your post. For my part I was just trying to convey, in what I hoped was a fairly lighthearted way, that normally I'd swerve DM pieces but because this one was about Genesis I couldn't resist clicking. It's the general style of those pieces I dislike, but in no way did I feel any irritation at you for posting it. As Christian says, your decision to remove it, completely fair enough. :thumbup:

Abandon all reason

• The British Tabloids had a field day, they took one source (the BBC) and they never cross referenced it. Non of them did any research either.

Phil's problems started in 1986, at the latter part of the Invisible Touch tour when he was prescribed Steroids for his voice. He was prescribed steroids whenever he had vocal problems on Genesis / Solo tours. The side effect of which means they can cause bone disorders in later life. This is from an interview in Genesis Information issue 44. "I had throat problems before Christmas" that would have been November/Dec for the New Zealand / Austrian dates.

Phil also broke his wrist during the Far Side Of The World tour - 1995, this was from an interview given in 1996 in a tabloid magazine which is issued on Sunday's. Phil mentions the use of prescribed steroids then to resolve vocal problems.

At some stage during the Turn It On Again tour (North American leg), Phil got back problems, and then in 2009 he had an operation to correct this. In Mario Giammetti's new book "Genesis 1975 to 2021" Tony banks is quoted to have said "I think it was performing Behind The Lines that did Phil's arms/back in"

From that point onwards he has had health issues, in particular not being able to hold a drum stick properly. Hence this is referenced in the making of Going Back.

Again this is research which took a few minutes, so the shock horror effect of poor journalism is not to be misunderstood. But sadly people are gullible and will soak it up!

Phil used a wheelchair during the Genesis rehearsals, because it was quicker for them to transport him from the car to the stage set up. It also reduced wear and tear on his body.

Still, the tour production rehearsals restart soon and then before we know it, it will be the first night.

Then the audience, fans and world will get to see Genesis in 2021.

Kind regards,

TGA

• yes quite amusing to see some of the headline grabbing reports this morning. Clearly these journalists have not seen phil over the last few years, and must think he has just emerged after 10 years as a recluse...😔

• I agree with your point that the recent spate of articles are clueless to Phil's recent history.

And he completed a big solo tour. And they have obviously rehearsed extensively for this tour.

And I - someone slated to see them on the last two shows of the North American leg of their tour, having only seen them before on the CAS tour - hope more than anyone that the world gets to see Genesis 2021.

But I think beyond the recent press, there's legitimate concern for Phil's health. Maybe the lighting and his head tilt showed him in a very unfavorable light in the recent interview but it looked to me like he has bad protein-energy malnutrition/muscle wasting. It's very uncomfortable for me as a huge fan to see these things and I'm obviously among like minded people here. I hope he's more ok than the interview suggests, or I can't see how a whole tour could possibly happen.