Your favorite tracks on ... "...But Seriously"

• I have such a special relationship with "Something Happened on the Way to Heaven." For a long time this was my favorite song ever and it's still way up there. That horn intro is an instant mood lifter and the whole song is a thrilling, uplifting blast with a sublime outro with that roaring guitar from Darryl cascading against the horns.

"I Wish It Would Rain Down" is Phil's best ballad / breakup song...Clapton's wailing guitar and the best vocal he ever laid down after "Mama." Just moves me to tears.

"I know in my heart of hearts...I know I'm never gonna hold you again." Jesus, what an absolutely shattering line.

"Hang In Long Enough" has similar qualities for me to "SHOTWTH," not quite as good but the horns are again on fire and it's a rousing start to the album.

Overall, I love pretty much every song on here. It's a terrific album with great tunes and Phil at his most thoughtful and motivated.

• Official Post

I actually re-discovered the quality of that record a few years ago when my father died. All Of My Life just sums it all up .. that’s when music is great. When it touches you

• Official Post

I actually re-discovered the quality of that record a few years ago when my father died. All Of My Life just sums it all up .. that’s when music is great. When it touches you

Sorry for your loss, Christian. I agree totally.
    Undertow does that for me. I lost my mom almost 20 years ago, and whenever I hear that song, it reminds me of her.

• I agree. But I guess we disagree whether it ever was powerful and fresh. :)

You serious? This song have a excellent dance-pop vibe, this song was a excellent opening and a perfect transition between the dance-pop of No Jacket Required and the mature and serious subjects that he talked in ...But Seriously in the others songs of the album. This album was a mature album that he talked many subjects he never explored in his three first albums, like the death, relationship between a dad and son, violence in the streets and the war in North Ireland (the ballad That's Just the Way it Is talk about the war in North Ireland and his point of view about that). This album was a excellent reinvention for him. Father to Son and All of my Life was the most personal songs of the album, because it's was autobiographical and talk about her personal life (the death of his father in All of My Life, The love with his son Simon in Father to Son). It's my favorite album of him and help me hugely during a difficult time of my life an the production of the album aged very well, unlike No Jacket Required.

• Official Post

You serious?

Yes I am. And I do not share your assessment of Hang In Long Enough at all.

As for other songs you praise about the album, well, I share your opinion about some of them, but I would like to point out that what may have been important and personal and autobiographical for him need not, and in this case, is not something I find particularly pleasant or interesting musically.

That's just my opinion about the album. Your views may vary, and that's perfectly fine, too.

• But Seriously lacks a bit of power, maybe bass? It aged quite well, but regarding the sound I’d prefer his older albums. The songs are, imo, better than on NJR

Hello I Must Be Going! have few fillers in the album, not this album and Face Value. This is the reason why theses two albums was his greatest albums of his career and my top 2 favorites of his career (with Both Sides). Because Hello I Must Be Going re-used the formula of Face Value, but in least good (depist it's was a good album and aged very well). And depist No Jacket Required break the formula of the two first albums and was a dance-pop album (with only few ballads), it's sound too much mid-80 depist few gems like Inside Out, Take Me Home and We Said Hello Goodbye and aren't aged well.

• Don't agree to your assessment. HIMBG is not at all following the same formula like Face Value - for some fans it's even ranked higher than FV. It also has no real fillers. One might argue that could be Do you know, do you care, but also this track is very unique in Phil's music history.

Also, especially Inside out and We said hello goodbye have aged well.

Well, it's obviously a matter of taste then.

Regarding But seriously. It's a fine album and the production is good. But it should have some sort of "thicker" sound.

... make tomorrow today!

• Don't agree to your assessment. HIMBG is not at all following the same formula like Face Value - for some fans it's even ranked higher than FV. It also has no real fillers. One might argue that could be Do you know, do you care, but also this track is very unique in Phil's music history.

If you not like or like, it's the same formula, and i like very well Hello I Must Be Going. No just musically, but lyrically, because it's retains the sound of the first album and also lyrically, it's be the same themes as ''Face Value'' (love and relationship). When i talk for few filers, i talk for Like China, always skip this track because i didn't like at all this song and never been a huge fan of If Don't Matters to Me.