Posts by Backdrifter

Loving this story that the baby on this cover is now suing the surviving two members of the band and Courtney Love on the grounds of child sex abuse. The lawyer has said the image "clearly depicts the baby as a sex worker" and - my favourite bit - that the baby "didn't sign a release for the image".

The lawyer added, "My client has issued the following statement: 'Googoo gagaga.' He won't be taking questions at this time as his nappy needs changing and he's then due for his afternoon nap."

Woah woah woah. Toasted sourdough? If memory serves you weren't a big fan back when there was a brief "what kind of bread toasts well" dialogue here.

Well remembered! I don't recall exactly what I said but it was probably along the lines of sourdough toast too often shattering like glass and feeling like it was going to lacerate my mouth. Since then I've learned that the things I tend not to like about sourdough - the above brittle toast, being full of big holes, being too chewy in its untoasted state - result from sourdough that's badly made and not properly 'knocked back' during kneading. When it's done properly it shouldn't have those properties I dislike. Sure enough I've had good-quality stuff that doesn't have those drawbacks. Our local bakery does very good sourdough, hence my now allowing its use for breakfast toast!

By contrast another bakery has opened nearby and its sourdough has all those problems so that's a one-off, we'll stick with the other bakery.

It bugs me that sourdough has become so prominent. Almost every restaurant and cafe menu now lists 'sourdough' instead of bread, and of course it's often got to have 'artisanal' stuck in front of it too. At some point the whole world will be sourdough.

Here are a few I've recently heard and like

Oklou - God's Chariots

GOAT - Queen of the Underground

Annie - Chewing Gum - from the noughties but I only just heard it. I managed to rise above the irritation I feel when artists mention their own names in songs.

Gemma Cullingford - I Like You

Lightning Bug - I Lie Awake - takes me back to shoegazy dreampop stuff I liked in the 90s

Secret Treehouse - Give It A Whirl - the chorus has a touch of XTC about it

It was discussed in the Genesis in the Media thread. A couple of us watched it (myself included). It was certifiably awful. So bad it was embarrassing. What’s the old saying: there goes an hour of my life I’ll never get back.

But the discussion gave me a good few belly laughs, so there is that. I'm still determined to see it in the hope it matches that KYTV clip I posted, for sheer entertaining awfulness value.

EDIT - PS: Someone else say something. On the dashboard as I write this the first 7 threads all have my name after them.

Another track now available

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I had to abandon this, I found it very uninteresting. I mean both the song and the video. Poor decision to throw in those stills every now and then, it made an already naff video look worse.

Don’t be silly!

😂

Oh man, thank you. Pure distilled essence of irony. You should bottle that!

That is true for thewatcher's post which shows the typical reaction of that group of people who only check things when it's too late (or never). I will have no pity for that minority anyway.

Your posts all sound like they should be accompanied by wonky fairground music.

This time next month the first 3 shows of the tour will hopefully be done and dusted with everyone safe and sound

Seems on track as we speak.

[boring dream reference]

I dreamt they released a setlist and I was miffed I accidentally saw one. All I can remember was it appeared to be in 2 sections and opened with Behind the Lines/Duchess

[/boring dream reference]

Guy Garvey playing Entangled on his BBC 6Music show as I write this, he introduced it saying it was a favourite track from his childhood and means a lot to everyone in Elbow and he dedicated it to them.

GG again including Genesis in his show today, this time the Seconds Out version of Carpet Crawlers which he said he listened to incessantly when growing up, describing it as practically a "lullaby".

That his childhood memory is of the Seconds Out version was reflected in his twice referring to it as 'The Carpet Crawl' as per the bizarre SO mis-titling we've mentioned before on the forum.

Also, the great, sadly late Geoffrey Perkins, who, among many other things, produced the Classic, Father Ted.

And of course was producer on the groundbreaking Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. His recollections of making that show are a joy to read and shows him being very upfront about how, as a young recently graduated producer, he didn't really know what he was doing. But writer Douglas Adams reassured him by admitting that he, too, had no idea either.

This isn't specifically Sean Lock, but is a clip from QI featuring him among the panellists and is one of my favourite bits from that show, and he makes a couple of his characteristically amusing contributions. I haven't watched the above video, so apologies if this clip featured in it.

Various performers have been making very heartfelt tributes to him, he was well-liked in the industry.

or 20,000 Afghans!...=O

FFS.

If they worked for the US, Brits or anyone else involved in the Allied war effort there I’d welcome them. It’s the least we can do.

What the US and UK have done, and what is happening now, are beyond disgraceful and beyond words.

Anyway, back to the weather.

A friend in NY was freaked out by receiving an official hurricane warning text message advising citizens to make all necessary arrangements to "preserve life". However she reports that little has happened so far and all is well, thank goodness.

(whispers almost inaudibly)

I hope the tour goes ahead and I refuse to pour endless amounts of cynicism over it. If it IS postponed again, OK. Is there any need to keep saying so?

Just letting off steam because there seems to be a concerted effort to bring everyone down. And we really don't need any more of that.

No need to whisper it, you're absolutely right but this is an internet forum and in common with band forums I've experienced elsewhere every individual molecule of everything to do with a tour will be relentlessly picked over in forensic detail.

We previously had the incessant "don't expect it to be any good because, you know, Phil's voice..." which thankfully tailed off so perhaps "but blah blah blah postponement" has moved in to fill that vacuum.

New pet peeve.

Walking down stairs behind someone who is walking downstairs very (very) slowly because their eyes are glued to their phone. Must. Not. Push. PUT YOUR FUCKING PHONE DOWN YOU FUCKING FUCK!!!

....and breathe....

For me this and variations of it is now a well-established peeve.

Over 12 years ago I was leaving a theatre but had to stop in the exit behind a woman who stood there gazing at her phone. After a few moments I politely said "excuse me". She turned, glared at me and tutted. GLARED AND TUTTED. Well that was it, all politeness instantly evaporated. I leaned forward and shouted right into her face "YOU'RE BLOCKING THE BLOODY DOOR YOU STUPID PHONE ZOMBIE".

A few years later I had the exact same exchange with someone blocking a shop door. And yes have had plenty of experiences of being stuck behind the slow-moving phone-hypnotised.

We nearly ran over someone wandering into the road, staring fixedly at their phone. It was only Mrs Backdrifter's lightning reflexes that stopped it being potentially messy.

I was heartened to read of someone so dazedly fixated on their phone they walked off the edge of a quay. I can laugh with impunity as they were unharmed while hopefully being soaked through with dirty water and feeling like a total idiot.