Posts by Backdrifter

(moved from setlists thread)

https://store.genesis-music.co…-hits-2cd?cp=84226_110060

The track listing is totally different on their official store

Well spotted. How odd! This one's almost the same tracks in a different order but minus Duke’s End (TIOA as track 1) and now including a "new stereo mix" of Musical Box as the final track. A couple of other switches as well I think. How on earth has this conflicting information happened? Could they be UK/European and US versions or something? Misunderstanding has been added which was a much bigger hit in the US. Los Endos is now on there too.

Or it's possibly just a glaring error.

I just edited my initial comment to underscore my displeasure with the band publicizing that most of the songs in the collection will be played on the tour. I’ve read basically the same press release on multiple sites stating that is the case.

Yeah it'll be the same PR going to all media I suppose. Either someone's overstepping the mark saying this, or literally just over half those 27 songs will comprise the setlist. Which would mean, there's your source material - get sequencing, everyone!

the target group for this release surely are not the die hard fans. It isn’t that unusual to have a new compilation after not being on tour for 14 years

Band managements often take the view that a co-ordinated package is required. It makes sense that for a band who've been inactive for so long, a tour will coincide with a compilation - there being no new stuff, of course. It all adds to the visibility and general buzz.

A few interesting choices there, eg opening with Duke's End/TIOA which kind of mirrors the 07 tour. I favour the mixed-up compilation, chronological ones are so dull. Odd that apart from In Too Deep, all the IT ones are bunched together.

Nothing pre-SEBTP. Which is likely to match the set, also as per 07.

The target group for this release are surely not graphic designers because they know how to cast shadows correctly.

You're assuming the grey splodge is meant to be a shadow.

Kind of a bummer that Daryl made a point of saying certain songs are off limits because they sound so dated, but it is what it is.

That is a shame, because it needn't be the case. I mentioned in the Crimson thread, Fripp's rule for the recent years of touring is all the music is new regardless of when it was written. They come to all the songs, including ones from the first album, completely fresh. Having seen a number of their gigs these last few years I can say the approach pays off. Very early stuff I was never keen on has at times been stunning. OK they're a different sort of band and I'm not an advocate of that "these bands do this, why can't this band do it too" way of thinking. But I don't think it'd be unreasonable for Genesis to take a similar approach to revisiting parts of their work without sacrificing some crowd-pleasing hits.

Of course there's also the possibility there are some songs they're so out of love with they have no interest in doing anything with them.

The odd rhythm in D&O has always reminded me of Grand Illusion by Styx. I’ve never been a big Styx fan so I guess it makes sense that D&O has never done much for me either.

If you mean the intro section of Illusion, I can kind of see what you mean.

Nah, Styx had the odd good tune but on the whole I'm not keen and they could be laughably naff and bombastic - which, I got the sense (possibly unfairly) came mainly from Dennis De Young.

I suspect there aren't many bands with so many releases that would create such different opinions amongst fans. (Based on pure speculation, not empirical research).

I agree, I've often thought exactly this. It's one of the things I really enjoy about this forum, that the discussions reflect the spread of opinion among fans which in itself feeds off the fact there were such different phases in the band's output. Also perhaps to some degree that there is such a diversity of work associated with the individual band members. How often does that happen?

I too can't claim to have researched this extensively but from what I've seen of similar fan boards, while there are areas of debate and disagreement it's nowhere near the extent of what you see on this site.

Back to openers, Musical Box has been mentioned. It's a great song and the closing section is one of my absolute favourite Genesis moments, it played a huge part in my becoming a fan. But I've never been that convinced it's that good an album opener. I'd put it at the end of side 1 and run the album Hogweed - Harold - TMB / Absent - Stones - Harlequin - Salmacis - Happy The Man.

I think DWTMK isn't just a brilliant opener but is the perfect Genesis song and encapsulates everything about them at that stage. If a prog-uncertain person wanted one track to sum up PG-era Genesis I'd pick that one.

That's how I remember it too. I got the impression it was just a throwaway comment - just that he liked it and thought it should be on there. Not like an order or anything. Genesis just happened to agree I guess, and/or felt that his opinion was worth respecting.

I think this is right. Given that they've described deliberately doing a song that was so far removed from their usual sound, and knowing it would annoy many people, I think there was a clear intention to include it and AE's comment probably just bolstered their resolve.

I'm convinced that if they'd swapped Another Record for You Might Recall (and maybe got rid of Whodunnit completely, or replaced it with Paperlate?) it would have had that satisfying flow from start to finish, and it would be considered one of the best Genesis albums (or at least their best pop/rock album)

If you mean a straight swap, ie the album ends with YMR, that wouldn't work in my view as it's not a closing track. I'm not saying AR is a brilliant closer but it feels more of a end-piece than YMR but yeah the latter is the better song by far.

That said, I don't mind AR and quite like the fact it's a bit of an oddity not just on this album but in their work generally. I like the slightly quirky downbeat feel to it and it's interesting hearing the unusualness of a harmonica sound in a Genesis song. Did someone say earlier it was intended to personify their disgruntled older fans? Do we know that or is it surmising? Either way I like the idea, ending their most right-angled turn of an album in that way.

I agree 100% about Seconds Out. All of those voices babbling at the beginning of side one sound like Sgt. Pepper’s. I’m assuming at the concert in Paris that people actually cheered for the band when they came on stage and didn’t simply sit in their seats chatting like a bunch of high school students before class.

Yes! I've always thought it about Pepper but it hadn't occurred to me about SO, possibly because I simply don't listen to the album so I'd forgotten about that. What a ridiculous way to start a live album. In the Album Covers thread I banged on about how even the front cover is too clean and clinical but in that sense I suppose it reflects the contents. The fuzzy pic on the back cover is far better.

I agree with the comments about Hentschel-era production. Trick isn't too bad, Duke is probably the best of his but W&W and ATTWT aren't good. As mentioned elsewhere I also think that Seconds Out sucked the life out of their stage work. The 07 remasters, of which I know some here are not fans, give a tad more oomph to Three but they're working with poor starting material. D&O could definitely have sounded a lot better but for me the strength of the song manages to punch through to some extent.

Sides 3 and 4, while still very good, weaken the totality of the album a little.

For me Side 3 ranks as one of the best sequences of songs they ever did, along with the side 1s of SEBTP and Shapes. Practically every kind of Genesis texture and dynamic is in there.