Posts by Backdrifter

Yeah I think anyone who says they like all the tracks of a bands’ discography is lying. There are always going to be tracks that just don’t work for you. Or maybe they didn’t work for you because of life circumstance, and then one day when you’re older, they just click for you. For example, One for the Vine just doesn’t do anything for me. I love the album, but just can’t really get into that song. Maybe someday it will change. That’s part of the fun though.

Going in the other direction, I've seen one or two on here dogmatically say that absolutely everything after Duke is rubbish and isn't worth listening to. I suppose it's possible they might genuinely think that but it just sounds like arms-crossly-folded stuff to me.

I guess if you followed them from the 70s on it might have been jarring / upsetting to see them transition into a slick stadium pop/rock act.

Many fans of my generation felt exactly that, but not me. There were a few fans at school and I was the only one who liked Abacab when it came out. I was also pretty much the only one among rock fans at school who was into punk and new wave so I was obviously already open to other stuff and more receptive to a simpler more terse, spacious Genesis. I was derided by rockers and proggers for liking punk and new wave and ditto my liking for Abacab (while non-rock-fan punk/new wave fans - of which there were very few - similarly derided me for liking rock and prog!).

Your comments on discovering NC and Foxtrot are interesting, likewise 3SL and its 'reverse' structure, easing you as a new fan towards the very different earlier stuff.

None of my friends from that time ever really embraced post-Duke Genesis, yet continued going to their gigs and increasingly moaning about the steady reduction of 'old' stuff in the sets and the volume of new material. I always thought, what the hell did they expect?!

(PS - There's a 'your Genesis story' type thread buried somewhere that these posts really ought to go into...)

I discovered Genesis when "No Son of Mine" was released in 1991. During the coming year I listened to the band's back catalogue and quickly embraced the whole Genesis world. This autumn I will celebrate my 30th anniversary as an all eras Genesis fan.

I became a fan just before WCD came out, simply because I was young at the time. So I moved backwards through their catalogue and found something everywhere on each album.

This intrigues me, as someone who came to appreciate them in the mid-1970s and experienced their progression as each album came out (having done my own early stuff catch-up, essentially the PG years). I'm interested to hear about those having a different experience and going back from near the end of their recording career to discover their earlier material. I reacted and acclimatised to each new release whereas you time-travelled into the past to get to grips with them in a much shorter time. What was that like? Being a new fan around the time of WCD and then discovering the early 70s stuff which bears practically no resemblance - that must've been quite a wild ride. And how much had you already known of the solo stuff before this?

I’d have to say, the Lamb is in my top three. I’ve been listening to it a lot lately. I love it. I love how dark and gritty it is. It sounds like nothing on either side of it; nothing that exists in the rest of their discography actually. People say the second album (sides 3 and 4 on vinyl) is weaker, I have to disagree. It’s just more weird and out there. Still really solid music though.

100% agree. Interestingly it also gets disliked for all the same reasons.

Side 3 is one of the best sequences of music they ever did.

(And it's my favourite Genesis album, and one of my top 10 albums by anyone)

Why would Bieber have better sense than to plagiarize Toto?

I was being provocative.

I'm pretty neutral on both Toto and Bieber, veering toward negative. Neither particularly excite me. I saw what had all the signs of Rockhead Blokes Having A Moan and couldn't resist ushering a C in among the Ps.

I think it's probably unlikely Bieber has personally sat down, intentionally searched out some old Toto tune and thought "I'll have that." If it is a deliberate or unconscious lift, more likely by one of the listed co-writers, and Toto feel strongly enough to pursue it then all things being just they'll get the necessary recompense and good luck to them.

PS If it's not established that the JB song is plagiarism I hope the very stark title of this thread doesn't prove to be problematic for the forum!

Agreed and agreed. The song just doesn't make much sense, but it's what I love about it

It makes absolute sense; it's about the male orgasm and being lost in the ecstacy of it.

Admittedly the first verse renders that a bit odd as it suggests ejaculating in the street but there's a bit of creative licence - the narrator is already anticipating that moment.

The glorious hook of the chorus, one of Banks's best, depicts the magic moment.

Aside from the unimaginative fade-out it's a terrific song. They should've been bold and had a post-orgasmic come-down ending.

I gather it's largely a Banks composition and certainly his lyric, and I had to have it pointed out to me by someone here that he is very prominent in the chorus with his vocal line "Beyond the silver rainbow you won't know..."

No definitely not an album closer. Maybe a side opener or a track 2. It would've been an interesting gig opener if they'd ever bothered to do it live.

We have threads for sharing what films, TV shows and music we're consuming. I decided to add in this thread on podcasts as they are something I've listened to a lot more this last year or so and I've been really enjoying some, so I thought I'd mention a few and wondered if anyone here had any other suggestions.

I use Acast so all my links here are via them.

Some will already know Rockonteur from the episode featuring Mike Rutherford. Gary Kemp and Guy Pratt interview a different musician guest each episode. As they are both musicians they come at it from a practitioner's slant. (The The A to Z of Phil Collins which some of you know is also here on Acast).

The most consistently enjoyable one for me is the Adam Buxton Podcast. They're not conventional interviews as such - he calls them 'ramble chats' which is a pretty good description. I'm sure he probably has some sort of route map but he makes it sound very free-ranging and organic.

For knowledgeable stuff on film I like Mark Kermode's show. (Not to be confused with his radio show). He has actors, directors, composers as guests and sometimes teams up with film-maker Jack Howard to discuss e.g. favourite films by Spielberg, Nolan, or in genres etc.

The Two-Shot is actor Craig Parkinson ('Dot' Cottan from Line of Duty for those in the know) chatting with (usually) actors. Like Adam Buxton he has a nice relaxed free-ranging style.

Moving away from pure entertainment into general culture, The High Low is one I only discovered weeks after it ended a long run. Two writers discuss a mix of cultural stuff in an agreeable way.

One of those presenters also does a more serious show The Missing which each episode examines a different unsolved missing person case.

Also in the investigative mode, Bellingcat recounts probes into the MH17 aircrash and executions in Cameroon. Yeah I know it doesn't sound too enticing does it. But it's very compelling.

A really odd one is Atomic Hobo in which a Scottish academic picks over various aspects of nuclear war, which sounds very gloomy but it's actually really interesting and includes some fascinating details about the sorts of preparations for nuclear war local councils had to make. She also has a number of episodes examining the famous BBC drama Threads.

Articles of Interest looks at the origins and development of different items of clothing (and in one episode, perfume). Very enlightening discussion of things we take for granted. After all, young man says, you are what you wear...

Back to celeb interviews, David Tennant is very good at doing them and both his podcast series are worth a listen.

Enough for now. I hope you manage to sample some of the above and enjoy them. And don't forget to recommend any to me I haven't mentioned! I'm up for almost any subject with the possible exception of motoring. Unless you know of anyone who can actually make it interesting...

Why do people who put youtube videos together have to have such horrible shitty title cards like these ^? They all look the same. They're like bad breath for the eyes.

Anyway, you'd think Bieber would have better taste than to plagiarise, if he did, from dreary old Toto.

(Stuart Francis joke - "They call me a plagiarist! Their words, not mine.")

Definitely not the only one. I'm not a fan, I wish they would play the whole song, and (I think) it's a symptom of the fact that they don't have a rotating roster of songs for a tour, i.e. they have to play half of dance on a volcano and half of firth of fifth every night, because they're never going to play all of dance one night and all of firth another night. I have railed against this kind of inflexibility in their setlists before to the point, I'm sure, of tedium. It's a real first world problem to complain of! I guess it comes from being a greedy fan, and wanting them to play more of their songs. They have such depth across all of their eras. I thought the 2007 setlist was terrific.

One segue that particularly bugs me was TTT-IT. I love the full version of TTT! Cutting it in half and jumping into IT does nothing for me.

<rant paused>

Also, as we've said before, we know there are bands who keep their setlists fluid and change stuff around - and it's therefore all the more frustrating to have to accept that Genesis simply aren't one of those bands and are firmly in the camp of sticking rigidly to a fixed set. On a tangent - I'm kind of glad they didn't ever do the 2nd half of Volcano after the Trick tour. The first half is a zillion times better and it was surging and powerful live. But I do wish they'd reinstate the whole of Firth.

I agree about the loss of the TTT instrumental, a favourite passage of mine but many fans never liked it and even the band said it wasn't one of their strongest moments. I thought it brought a refreshingly different trancey feel to their work so it really irked me that they dropped it. The idiots!

EDIT - I just thought, maybe we should merge this general medleys bit of the thread into that bad-tempered Medleys thread which became rather fractious.

^ I just tried reading a synopsis of it. It banged on about sorcery, Don Juan and warriors or something. I read the synopsis twice and nothing stuck, it was like breathing on a window pane. I'm pretty sure there was no mention of horses made of sand though.