Posts by Backdrifter

Ok, here's the next question. When Genesis played at Oxford Town Hall in 1972, Richard Macphail inadvertently left something belonging to a band member behind when they were packing up after the gig. What were the item(s) in question?

Brilliant question! Proper trivia.

I have no idea by the way.

And that of course is key and what really matters, as for the rest, we'll have to agree to disagree or at least to differ over preferences and priorities.

A performer/frontman IMHO needs to be able to offer something in terms of voice and/or stage presence. The former is plainly not there, as for the latter I guess it depends on the songs.

Sinatra didn't certainly dance, neither did , say. Aznavour and they certainly could sit down for a couple of songs, a couple, not all of them, their repertoire allowed that and their voices and stage presence were intact and more than commanding. Genesis' catalogue is slightly different though, isn't it? Vocally demanding and here's no way around it, you don't need to jump all over the place but stuff like in the cage or Mama and several others seated, would be simply off. To me at least.

I completely get this and fair do's to all who share this view.

For me, quite simply it's Genesis - yes, different from before but it's them and I want to be there. I just don't think that when I am it'll be 5 months from now.

I would like to think that the premature calling of victory, and the stuff about how they should keep counting in the states he's winning but stop counting in the states he's losing, might finally open some eyes. But then I have thought that for four years.

Yes exactly. It's not as though the last 4 years have been short of stuff he's said and done that you'd think would open enough people's eyes.

I read that thanks to his desperate shrieking rhetoric, a crowd of protestors tried forcing their way into the Detroit count to try stopping it. So he's put the security guards at risk.

It seems odd that Trump will do everything to sue those votes. :(

worries me he might move to Scotland if he fails. =O

It doesn't seem odd to me at all - entirely expected. Exactly the sort of desperate baseless demented thing he'd do. What's happened to Giuliani over the years? I had the impression he was fairly well respected even among Dems but under Trump's employment he's absorbed the mania and seems to be regurgitating it. He's a lawyer isn't he? He must know there are no legal grounds and no evidence for contesting the vote. He clearly has no shame or dignity.

What's this about that piece of scum possibly moving to my home land? Has this been hinted at?

I would like to think that the premature calling of victory, and the stuff about how they should keep counting in the states he's winning but stop counting in the states he's losing, might finally open some eyes. But then I have thought that for four years.

Yes exactly. It's not as though the last 4 years have been short of stuff he's said and done that you'd think would open enough people's eyes.

I read that thanks to his desperate shrieking rhetoric, a crowd of protestors tried forcing their way into the Detroit count to try stopping it. So he's put the security guards, who had to hold them back, at risk. He is utter scum.

-Biden can still win but no landslide, make no mistake, Trumpism is a thing, it's very much alive and it's here to stay, be ready to deal with Jr and Ivanka in 4 years.

Yes, the closeness of this election overnight made me think that even if Biden edges a win, then like the UK the US is a deeply divided country with absolutely no chance of the schism healing, for years at least if not a decade or more. And that indeed, Trumpism isn't going away. What I hadn't thought of was the Trumprogeny running in 4 years - a chilling thought.

If Trump slithers back in, America will be wreckage.

Well, they were a bit before my time but my googling reveals several appearances on mainstream TV shows (Morecambe and Wise, Benny Hill show, Two Ronnies), so they must have been pretty well known in the 70s

Fair enough, I don't wish to set myself up as the yardstick of 70s band recognition! As you say, they appeared on a range of 70s light entertainment TV shows, many of which my family and I watched, though I have absolutely no memory of the band. If they'd made an impact on the singles and album charts there'd be a greater chance I and others here would remember them but the wiki piece doesn't give chart placings.

Anyway, I'm guessing that regarding the trivia question it's moot as they surely don't qualify as Sredni 's "two well-known bands".

Today I'm off to see Saint Maud, about a carer who has a somewhat skewed agenda when it comes to looking after her patient.

This was excellent, if extremely unpleasant at times, and quite creepy. It starts with a rather intense young woman Maud beginning a new job as a private carer for a terminally ill former dancer. Maud takes her job very seriously which then takes on a disturbing aspect.

It's not exactly laugh-a-minute but is very compelling in a grim sort of way. And it's very well-made, with good performances. Worth seeing but for the squeamish I'd say, approach with caution.

You know the drawer I mean. We all have one. What else goes in that drawer apart from:

Mystery keys

Strangely shaped metal or plastic implement the purpose of which is unfathomable

Loose fuses which may or may not be usable

Couple of batteries which fit no known device

Wildly out of date takeaway menus

Never-used roll of green twine

Little sachets (or tiny plastic fishes) of soy sauce

Is it really 6 months since we posted in this thread?!

My local arts centre has just re-opened its cinemas and cafe so it was a genuine pleasure to be able to go back in there last week, enjoy a coffee and see two films for the first time in over 7 months.

I saw the documentary White Riot, about the Rock Against Racism movement that started in the late 1970s. It was part nostalgic but also unpleasant to be reminded of the odious and repulsive National Front scum who openly campaigned for the enforced removal of ethnic minorities. It also made me think about how those attitudes, which I thought had largely gone, are now in the air again and I suppose they never really went away but now have more breathing space. But for its not always being a comfortable watch it was overall an enjoyable and well-made film with some good archive work.

I then saw the latest Christopher Nolan film Tenet. I'd heard that many who've seen it found it baffling and difficult to fathom. I understood and quite liked the underlying concept of it, but struggled with some of the actual detail of the action. As you'd expect though it looks great and has some spectacular moments. But I'm not sure what I actually took away from it. It's like it's left very little impression on me. I feel that Nolan has expended all his energy on constructing a complex twisty-turny plot that is in many ways impressive, while forgetting to invest anything in emotion or character. I can't say more without spoilers and if you're thinking of seeing it it'd be best to avoid reading up on it. It's tense and exciting at times, on balance worth seeing.

Today I'm off to see Saint Maud, about a carer who has a somewhat skewed agenda when it comes to looking after her patient.

You assume I've been both coolly winding you guys up and jumping up and down with frustrationcan't have both ;)

I'm doing neither of those things.

Yes you are, which is why others are reacting as such. You post winking emoji-splattered comments that can clearly be potentially read as provocative - acting like the arbiter of Genesis truth, calling people indiscriminating fanboys, telling them they're dogmatic and need perspective - which are unsurprisingly interpreted as wind-ups. While also posting unwinky comments such as "the band died in 1977", mass-dismissing everything post-77 as crap and by not the same band, and saying you "resent (RESENT!) Banks, Collins and Rutherford shitting all over their legacy by touring without Gabriel and Hackett" and yet people aren't meant to see you as hopping about with your fist in the air like an irate cartoon character.

So you clearly think you can have both, while telling the rest of us we can't interpret it that way. Hmmm.

Elsewhere, Fabrizio suggested you think about how you debate and express your views. I've not seen any evidence you can or are willing to do that, but his counsel is wise.