Posts by Backdrifter

Good range at Houston's by the look of it. As with my local butchers and bakeries they do a macaroni pie, something you don't tend to see outside Scotland. As with the chicken curry pie, another popular one in the Highlands, I've shopped around and settled on where to get the best ones. They differ quite a bit, which I like.

I divide my time between Inverness and SW London and when at the latter I always try to get along to CD Jennings, local to where our London place is. They're on to their 3rd generation now and it's great seeing their young son taking up the family business.

It's a shame your M&S ad wouldn't work to a wider audience, it's genius!

An overstatement but thanks for the accolade!

😄

Getting back to the lyric, there's a very minor thing that makes me smile as it brings to mind my English teacher Mr Jeffries. He advised against ambiguity, such as "I scratched my head with my dog by my side." He'd point out you weren't literally using the dog by your side to scratch your head. Similarly - "I rang the bell with my heart in my mouth" would've had him asking if the narrator had his heart clenched between his teeth while pushing it against the doorbell.

Ditto to this really. I've only just joined so if the comment was directed at me too then I take issue to that.

I would like to stick around here more than one day however if this is the kind of welcome new members get then maybe I'll have to rethink that.

I also wasn't complaining in fact I think I made that perfectly clear in my post that it wasn't a complaint.

As explained above they don't mean you, I'm the one in the doghouse. Definitely do stick around, it's generally a good forum and has been livened up recently by some new arrivals and returners after a period of less activity (that's not a complaint, by the way). So get stuck in and enjoy. 👍

He tries twice. Head, banging and wall spring to mind. I know someone who has been in this situation, he knew when to call it quits, luckily.

Absolutely fair enough in your acquaintance's case I'm sure, but not everyone is cut from that same cloth. To pick up on the comment from FeelItComing I've equally known a couple of people with past experience of abuse who have felt compelled to see the abusive relative again. As mentioned, the feelings and motivations of the survivors can be very complex and, to the rest of us, baffling but it does happen. Again, as FIC said, family bonds can sometimes remain strong and pull the survivor back in even with such horrible past events.

And I've known of survivors who left the first second they possibly could, never to return.

Humans are complicated...

Aye, ye cannae beat the Chieftain o' the puddin' race!

Choice is a bit restricted in North West England, it's either this or McSween, if you want the authentic item. Most of the others, even Marks & Spencer, are pork based, which is just wrong!

As I recall, McSween isn't too bad. I agree, pork 'haggis' isn't haggis. M&S should do one of their sultry-voiced ads - "This isn't just haggis.... In fact it just isn't haggis."

As you can imagine, here in the Highlands you're spoilt for choice. Mine was my preferred one, from one of our local butchers, the wonderfully named Hastie and Dyce. I'm not sure why I like that name so much but I just do. If a detective duo drama was ever set in Inverness....

Four this last week:

The Grudge - remake of a Japanese horror, one of those things featuring a scary girl with long wet hair, as so many seem to. It was okay but it had too many horror cliches in.

Little Women - I wasn't sure at first, the first 45 mins just seemed to be girls running, shrieking and hugging. Then it moved up a gear and ultimately I enjoyed it.

The Personal History of David Copperfield - the best of the bunch, it was funny, moving and very entertaining.

Bombshell - excellent, infuriating in what it depicted (true story of sexual harrassment cases at Fox News), very compelling.

I've been planning a 4-disc Beatles compilation and only just recently got around to it. As usual with my compilations, not chronological and all very carefully planned in terms of running order.

DISC 1

Paperback Writer

Twist and Shout

All My Loving

Dear Prudence

Tell Me Why

I Want To Tell You

Your Mother Should Know

Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band

With A Little Help From My Friends

If I Needed Someone

You Never Give Me Your Money

Sun King

Mean Mr Mustard

Polythene Pam

She Came In Through The Bathroom Window

Revolution

Love Me Do

The Word

From Me To You

I’ll Follow The Sun

Don’t Let Me Down

Blackbird

I’ve Got A Feeling

She Said She Said

A Hard Day’s Night

I Want To Hold Your Hand

Yes It Is

DISC 2

Eight Days A Week

And Your Bird Can Sing

Old Brown Shoe

Happiness Is A Warm Gun

We Can Work It Out

Fixing A Hole

Help!

You Won’t See Me

I’m Only Sleeping

Every Little Thing

Michelle

Yer Blues

Two Of Us

Matchbox

Things We Said Today

Ticket To Ride

Oh! Darling

Mother Nature’s Son

I Should Have Known Better

Yellow Submarine

Helter Skelter

Bad Boy

Rain

You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away

Hello Goodbye

DISC 3

Getting Better

Can’t Buy Me Love

For No One

I’m So Tired

The Night Before

Love You To

The Fool on the Hill

Sexy Sadie

Drive My Car

It Won’t Be Long

Think For Yourself

Here, There and Everywhere

I Feel Fine

Eleanor Rigby

I Want You (She’s So Heavy)

Blue Jay Way

Strawberry Fields Forever

Hey Bulldog

She Loves You

Norwegian Wood

Lady Madonna

She’s Leaving Home

Hey Jude

DISC 4

Get Back

Please Please Me

It’s All Too Much

What You’re Doing

Yesterday

Because

Doctor Robert

And I Love Her

Come and Get It

For You Blue

Cry Baby Cry

Revolution 9 (edit)

Good Night

Come Together

Penny Lane

Taxman

Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (reprise)

A Day in the Life

Something

Tomorrow Never Knows

The Long and Winding Road

Let It Be

I Saw Her Standing There

Golden Slumbers

Carry That Weight

The End

In My Life

Yes I mostly like the Trek tv shows, TNG being probably my favourite. I didn't like Voyager at first but warmed to it, although it was largely despite Kate Mulgrew's largely poor performance as the captain. Like you OneForTheVine I never clicked with DS9 or Enterprise. I've seen two episodes of Discovery so far and don't feel any urge to continue with it.

I'm interested to see Picard, I liked that character in TNG and the associated films, and I like Patrick Stewart.

I really like the 'reboot' films to date, I think they've been quite affectionate with regard to the original tv show. The 4th in the series is apparently now back on track with the main cast in place, with release in the next 2 years.

We guess that someone would complain, we work hard to bring these exceptionally rare items to the public. We risk the law and any potential relationship with the management company, only for people to moan.

Why should we bother to find, discover and release more?

TGA

If this is directed at me, I wasn't complaining or moaning, just expressing frustration at the apparent dearth of professional films of this medley - that's a broad observation and not aimed at this clip or those who've posted it here. As I said, it's still good to see it - but I didn't specifically thank whoever brought it here so let me say it now: well done and thanks.

It's good but frustrating. I've been dying to see a professional film of either IT tour version of that medley and when we finally get one it's all on stage and we can't see the full show! But still better than nothing.

There is a snippet of the Apocalypse version in the Visible Touch documentary so it was professionally filmed and must exist in its entirety somewhere.

I found a new appreciation for the album version of Afterglow. For years it was almost impossible for me to revert to the original, then it dawned on me that is is a nostalgic, wistful song

I've enjoyed the live renditions, both recorded and in person, but never relinquished my liking for the original. It shows what a good songwriter can come up with when being direct. Banks's description of writing this and Vine sum it up perfectly. One is a big long sprawling affair put together over the course of a year, and leaves me cold, especially its typically overwrought lyric. The other was written on the spot and conveys its message simply and clearly, is enduring and one of my favourite Genesis songs.

I don't find it nostalgic and wistful - I'd likely not care much for it if I did - rather, my interpretation comes directly from Banks's description of what he had in mind, ie it's tragic yet hopeful. The narrator has lost everything but still has hope for the future - what a powerful message.

I mean't it's over YOUR HEAD, in that, you don't understand. Carter's little pills was a product that came out long before you were born. Has nothing to do with Jimmy Carter, Bonham Carter or whatever, GET IT?

Bloody hell calm down. You could've just told us that straight off!