Posts by Backdrifter

Angel Olsen, tonight, Edinburgh Usher Hall. Already here in fact in the queue for stalls standing. Actually, right now I am the queue.

genesis1964 I've walked along Bruntsfield Links and The Meadows a few times in the last 2 days so possibly been within shouting distance!

Yes, when it's such an omnishambolic big flappy clown-shoed clusterfuck you kind of let it get on with speaking for itself with little or nothing to add.

In fact, that should be the precise wording of all news bulletins.

And now, weather.

But that's PC not saying anything about feeling snubbed, and SH speculatively saying maybe PC felt snubbed.

He didn't leave on particularly good terms (Phil feeling personally snubbed by the way he quit), then he went on to say bad things about the band to the press and instigate legal proceedings against them... It's not surprising they were a little cool towards him just four years later in 1982 (and beyond!)

I was specifically referring to that magazine cover in my lighthearted comment.

Can you point us to a source for Collins feeling personally snubbed by the manner of Hackett's departure? Every interview I've seen, PC recounts how he didn't really feel anything and pretty much just said "oh, ok" when hearing the news.

=O. Sad and funny at the same time... As you say, arseholery.

It's a like a fractal. No matter how much you drill down, there'll always be something people will disagree on.

Hahaha! Fractal disagreement, I like it! (John Peel voice): "Next, turn it up for a rare b-side by Fractal Disagreement")

Sad and funny is spot-on. Those ellipsis guys were hilarious. It was like the most weedy pathetic tug-of-war there's ever been.

All the above is a manifestation of the basic principle that if a number of people are gathered together, a certain proportion of them WILL be arseholes. The arseholery will take different forms depending on the nature of the 'gathering'.

With wikis and suchlike it manifests as I KNOW BETTER and THERE ARE RULES AND I AM GOING TO ENFORCE THEM. The crumb of comfort to take from the above experiences is that their behaviour probably reflects a gap or shortcoming in their lives which they feel they must address by wielding some scrap of 'authority' and sieze the chance to do a bit of what feels like policing.

I've had similar experience with Setlist.FM entries, including Genesis sets, where again people were simply being definitively wrong yet constantly de-correcting their wrong entries. One I wasn't directly involved in but amusedly observed was a battle between two guys who were adding and removing the '...' from In That Quiet Earth. Plus plenty of other wars of attrition on similar pernickety lines. I long since stopped contributing for precisely such reasons.

in the case of the Beatles, I think they did the opposite of Queen, starting as a singles band and evolving, the latter singles coming when anything they did would chart.

Although bear in mind that right up until near the end they remained practitioners of the standalone non-album single. They retained the mindset of "we need a new single" which reflected how the industry was. But yeah, they were on that cusp of the 'album band" becoming more of a thing.

I was 12 when PG left and I didn't know anything of Genesis for another two years.

In '82 I was 20. PG had been out of the band for a mere 8 years , they had been a trio for 4. It's hard to think now but at that time 8 years seemed a lifetime. Compared to now 8 years seems like 8 weeks.

This reminds me of a comment by a grumpy old prog-head bloke I know who's always banging on about how Genesis went rubbish after PG&SH left, who (like me) went to a 1982 show on that tour. He took issue with PC introducing Supper's Ready as "a really... really... REALLY old song." The bloke complained that it was only 10 years previously and Collins's description was somehow derisive. Yes, some people will find any minor thing to bellyache about.

My point to him was on the same lines as your comment above, ie so much had happened in that 10 years. Two key members had left, new touring members added, 7 album releases, a marked change in style and their first major singles successes. The band's personal circumstances had changed significantly - marriages, becoming parents, getting divorced. The two departed members had gone on to have notable solo careers. Yes, it was "only" 10 years but with all that happening it must have felt like a whole lifetime ago.

I've known many people over the years who call themselves Queen fans, yet when I've asked them what albums they have, they almost always say one of the Greatest Hits albums. When I ask these supposed 'fans' what they think of Sheer Heart Attack or Queen 2, they look at me blankly. For me, their best songs are more often album tracks, not single releases.

Don't be too dismissive of the Greatest Hits people. If they enjoy those compilations they're one type of fan, but they are fans. You're a different type of fan, you just happen to be one who likes the album tracks more than singles and lost interest along the way. If someone who owned and loved all the albums and were dismissive of you as a supposed fan because you're not a completist and lost interest, they'd be wrong.

Coming off the NOTW discussion, the video for Champions was filmed at the New London Theatre (where Cats eventually had a residency - the musical, not actual felines). For the fans who participated the band then did a short live show, finishing with See What A Fool I've Been, my favourite Queen track, the last time they ever performed it.

Having looked the album up, FeelItComing I now better understand the "answer to punk" comment in that the album seemed to consciously avoid the lusher sound of the previous two albums. Although May is quoted as saying at the time that following Races they'd already decided to do a more "back to basics" album next, rather than specifically wanting to respond to the punk movement.

For different reasons to foxfeeder NOTW marked the end of my interest in Queen too. I liked them until then and quite liked the NOTW singles but for no specific reason I stopped listening then lost track of their albums, only ever hearing whatever were the current singles. My interest in other bands, Genesis in particular, was rapidly growing as was my enjoyment of punk and new wave. So I think quite simply Queen were edged out rather than my actually going off them. I then never recovered the same interest in them I'd had during the first 5 albums. I should re-listen to those, I always liked Sheer Heart Attack and still think Now I'm Here is a terrific song.

I thought he was good in that as one of Daphne's brothers

I hated all the stuff in Frasier about Daphne and her variously-accented brothers, I found it cringey and detracted from an otherwise good show (as did Daphne herself with her utterly bizarre "Manchester" accent). I thought they wasted RC.

But anyway, plenty of much better stuff by which to remember and celebrate him. By all accounts he was a very nice bloke too.

As a 9 year old supporter of Leeds then I remember that. I really like Brian Clough but he had said some nasty things about Leeds before then so not surprising he did not last long

The David Peace novel The Damned United, which thinks itself into Clough's mind during that period, is one of the most compellingly horrible books I've ever read. It paints an unnerving picture of total obsession.

Clough was quite scathing about Revie but also occasionally voiced what many felt about LU's somewhat brutal approach.

LU players confirmed that the line in the novel (and the film), where Clough tells them at the first training session "You can take all your cups, medals and caps and chuck 'em in the bin cos you didn't win 'em fairly" was accurate. Some way to introduce yourself to a team, eh?!