Posts by Backdrifter

I just heard this pleasingly zippy bit of electropop and like it a lot, Down Bad by Tatyana, a London-based musician. Nice ascents in the chorus.

Also available, Hold My Hand which I'm also enjoying. The slight Goldfrapp feel appeals to me.

I gather her debut album It's Over is out next month.

Another recent discovery for me is Mitski, who I first heard late last year but who's been releasing music for about 12 years. This is a recent one, My Love Is Mine All Mine. I love its dreamy late-night feel. Anyone here familiar with her work?

By the way, compared with the earlier version of this thread from 2021 which ran the same poll, here are the comparative listings as of today.

2021 (last entry Aug 22)                                1 Feb 24

No Self Control Family Snapshot
    Intruder No Self Control
    Family Snapshot Intruder
    Games Without Frontiers Biko
    Biko I Don't Remember
    I Don't Remember Games Without Frontiers
    Not One Of Us And Through The Wire
    And Through The Wire Lead A Normal Life
    Lead A Normal Life Not One Of Us
    Start Start

Fairly consistent. FS leapfrogs NSC and Intruder to the top spot, NOOU falls into the relegation zone (meaning it's in danger of being removed from the album) and still none of us like the early 80s aftershave advert sax-fest of Start.

Just for the fun of it, this is one of their newer songs (actually 2012), one of my favorites.

Many artists share the fate of being reduced to a short successful period and the rest of their work gets ignored, often unjustified. This is another example.

It's ok, not a patch on the brilliant pop sensibilities of their 80s/90s stuff which I'm more familiar with.

Are they ignored, unjustifiably or otherwise? Their albums consistently place in top 10s in various territories, they're generally well reviewed, and they still play large arenas, with occasional forays into halls and theatres. The tours also seem to be critically well received.

I bought it, wish I had not. It seems to consist of old interviews regurgitated and 're-evaluations' of LPs. To call it the "The Ultimate Music Guide" is a bit rich. It was clearly written before the I/O tour as it makes no mention of any part of the tour.

Sorry to hear that. Your unfortunate experience sums up why I tend to avoid these 'specials' now, as I said earlier.

In your pic, on the left above and below the pull-quote, it does that irritating dumb 'from/to' thing that crops up in lazy journalism - "from Kate Bush's The Dreaming to Adam & the Ants' Kings of the Wild Frontier." What does that even mean? What's between those two on this stupid imaginary spectrum?

The aforementioned quote is of course from

'Joey' Marotta!

:rolleyes:

Hearing the usual stuff at this time of year about "getting through January" I reckon a lot of people find January 'depressing' because so many people around them, and the media, keep telling them they're supposed to.

I get that christmas/new year is a nice break and enjoyable time for many who like to/are able to take time off, relax, see family (yes I know those last two can cancel each other out) so it feels a bit of a let-down to drag yourself back into work when the relaxation and celebrations are over, it's cold and dark - and I realise this is my Northern Hemisphere perspective. Don't know about other countries but also, here in the UK concepts such as 'dry January' and 'veganuary' are attached to this month and probably feel to many like an enjoyment vacuum.

I love christmas but also generally like autumn and winter and don't mind cold dark days. Of course not everyone feels that way but I'm sure the constant drip-drip of "January's SO depressing" plays a large part.

While there were some really bad Genesis album covers, I think it's a stretch to say they never had a good album cover (see A Trick Of The Tail & Wind & Wuthering). As far as the Yes album covers go, the first word that comes to my mind is repetitive...

The two you mention are widely liked. I think they're okay, I like the overall colour palettes of them more than the actual imagery. I agree re the sameyness of Yes covers. I thought the two late 70s Hipgnosis ones, while not brilliant, were something of a relief in at least being a welcome change.

I lIke a lot The Lamb cover (very cinematic).

Me too, probably my favourite of theirs along with Abacab - they also happen to be my favourite Genesis albums. Lamb and Trick are back-to-back albums different in every way, but both have 'cinema' style graphics depicting various aspects of the content.

This new Hackett one isn't improving for me, it's terrible.

See also threads for album covers by Genesis, solo and other acts.

You guys are aware that there is a long studio version, right? It's what the album version was edited down from. It was the B-side of the 12-inch single and (later) CD single of "Mama" (the long version that fades out some 40 seconds later than the album version).

To me, the long versions of these two songs are the real versions, and the album versions are just inessential extras.

I'm aware too. I'm the opposite of you and feel no need for long versions of either track, especially Mama where I'm a bit baffled that another 40 seconds is in any way desirable. I actually prefer the truncated live versions and even on the album when it gets to the final verse I'm thinking "yes alright I GET IT".

I remember him in 1979 in Birmingham, sitting at the front of the stage singing this beautifully, despite crackly speakers.

Wow. I didn't see him until the 1980 tour. Any other memories of the PG2 tour? Isn't that when Fripp played, but offstage?

A good album, and a few of these tracks would have fitted well on his recent tour

They definitely would have. I loved the two shows I attended but was sorry to not get anything from this or 4.

White Shadow and Mother were easy dead certs for me. For the 3rd, I wavered over DIY, Indigo and Exposure and ended up going for DIY but would've picked one of the others on a different day.

I always liked this album, a feeling increased by it being somewhat overlooked even by its creator, certainly on stage.