Posts by Backdrifter

If fans are a bit irked, it's likely due to getting teased with the prospect of a new album, which we were initially told was coming out in 2004

This too, for certain. It even had a title - I/O. Naming it added to the feeling it was imminent. I wonder, if he actually does a new album will it still be called that?!

Does anyone else remember the plan (around 2008?) to do a stripped-back album and tour with just PG, Danny Thompson and Jed Lynch? I'm sure I didn't imagine that and I remember discussing it with another fan and our both liking the prospect a lot.

Of course his next move was the polar opposite, doing an album and tour with an orchestra!

Can someone explain why there is so much resentment on the Genesis Facebook page towards Peter Gabriel lately?

Not being on FB, I haven't seen this. What's being said?

It always maked me wonder why fans think musicians owe them something. It's up to them to record music or not.

I agree about fan entitlement, though there's nothing wrong with fans feeling perhaps frustrated at his inertia. During these years when, apart from the occasional individual new track, he's focused on retreading old ground in various ways I can't deny it slightly saddens me to see an innovative creative artist concentrate on re-heating old material. But as I say, that feeling is borne of frustration rather than any kind of resentment or a sense of "he owes us a new album!"

It's an interesting illustration of the artist-fan relationship. An artist creates stuff and puts it out there, and it then becomes a case of whether people like and go along with it. If they do, and like getting more of it, they're fans. Ultimately yes, that artist can choose to stop doing it and that (you hope) is entirely their decision. But if that relationship has been established the fans can then feel a bit cut-off and adrift when the material stops. Sometimes that feeling can be expressed as resentment. I don't agree with it but it's how it sometimes emerges. I want PG to do a new album but it is indeed up to him! If he hasn't felt ready to do one or maybe even is past doing albums, that'd be a shame but so be it.

We're on a board for fans of a band that have had an interesting relationship with its followers. I sometimes see that sense of entitlement coming out in what some here say about the band's changes of style, a kind of resentment of the way their music progressed and a sense of the band letting them down because they stopped doing the kind of stuff those fans preferred.

The Man U player who's being investigated for rape and threats to kill too

It was nauseating to see the comments on social media in support of him and, worse, going all out to attack his accuser. Innocent until proven guilty, of course. But the whole culture of instant vilification of the woman is sickening.

Plus, who's dumb enough to abuse an animal AND film it?

I wondered that too, and it plays into an interesting thing generally about this mindset of "I need to photograph or video everything I do". Obviously in the days of exclusively film photography we'd quite selectively take photos as records of trips and special events and with the limitations of your 24 or 36 roll you'd choose quite carefully. (Though of course it wasn't as clear-cut as that, plenty would snap their way through a roll taking lame wasted shots). But with pretty much limitless photo/video-taking scope now, it seems everything has to be documented. Including, apparently, animal abuse. It was bad enough when photographing plates of food became widespread, but this?! Are there people who feel their lives only have validity if it's on a phone screen?

True that about cutting TTT in half. Such a shame. I read an interview with Tony somewhere a while back in which he described the keyboard solo as being “deceptively difficult” (or some such language) to play.

That's interesting. I remember one of them saying they didn't like the instrumental very much, so I assumed that was behind their dropping it. I'm with the "shame they cut it" team. That section has a nice ethereal feel of a kind they didn't do much and i liked it. Then the build-up into "You keep telling me..." - great stuff, especially on stage on the IT tour.

S&V was my first time seeing him so it had the buzz of that, although in retrospect and in light of subsequent tours it lost a lot of its sheen in my memory. Also it was at Milton Keynes Bowl which didn't help, a soulless outdoor venue rather like an emptied-out reservoir or some other kind of utilitarian council site. (It's where the Six Of The Best show took place).

I recall fans were asked ahead of the tour to nominate their favourite songs to be included in the set, leading to a coordinated campaign to vote for The Laughing Gnome. Or am I imagining all that?

Either way, at the time I didn't twig it was intended as a "goodbye to the old material" show. He certainly minimised the classic stuff on subsequent tours but it crept back in. Perhaps he needed to do it as a psychological or symbolic exercise if not an actual catharsis, possibly leading to his feeling more at ease with that material. Together with his Tin Machine years and the shot of life his main output had in the 90s, maybe he'd felt a bit stale by the end of the 80s and needed a shake-up. If so, I'd say it worked.

By the way, on a tangent. I'm seeing this thread and the Moby one on the dashboard. I thought it was now given over entirely to Genesis-related threads.

I personally wish we could skip to the holodeck idea from star trek.

Although in a deeply bizarre bit of 24th century thinking they make it possible to disengage safety protocols and thus enable harm and death.

I wonder if the idea is that as well as abolishing money, by then they also do away with health and safety regulations?!

I suppose if nothing else it helps drive plots along.

8 Feb, Today in 1964 the Beatles spent their first full day in the US, taking a walk in Central Park, being photographed ahead of their Ed Sullivan appearance.

US fans from then still today speak warmly of how the nation was helped out of its collective gloom following the JFK assassination thanks to the Beatles.

My momma said, to get things done, you better not mess with Major Tom,

My momma said, to get things done, you'd better not mess with Major Tom.

I've always loved the muttered responses

I've never done good things (never done good things)

I've never done bad things (never done bad things)

I never did anything out of the blue... woah-woah (woah-woah)

😂

The 15yo me had a major thing about that blonde in the video

For the first time in ages I had a Genesis dream last night, very much in the mould of those I've often had as I mentioned above concerning live shows and trees. Sure enough I was at a gig in what seemed to be a woodland setting, the stage set up in a clearing and ridiculously low down, more or less at ground level. It was before the show started and there were very few people around so I decided to wait right by the stage to ensure I got a decent view.

I kind of see what you mean, there's some similarity to this in SJ's main motif. But as I understand it the Reich was performed live in 1980 but not commercially released til 84, two years after SJ's release. Though it's of course not impossible PG saw the 1980 performance. It would have had to coincide with any US leg of his 1980 tour - offhand I can't recall the dates other that he was touring the UK in March.

EDIT: You got me thinking, I just checked dates - he started the US leg of the tour mid-June in CA, a month after the full live premier of the Reich in CA. So if PG was already there in May rehearsing, he might well have seen it.

Whatever the case and SJ's provenance, what a superb song it is. It's my usual choice if asked what my favourite PG track is. On the Still Growing Up tour it was beautiful.

Yes I listen to this podcast a fair bit and I've only just about got to the stage of telling Kemp and Pratt's voices apart! Pratt's voice is a little lighter in tone - and, as established, he interrupts a lot.

I'm not sure about Hackett getting frustrated at these Genesis questions vs solo career questions. This is a guy who barely ever performs any of his new material and does regular tours based largely on Genesis material so he's kind of laid down the rails himself.

Plus, a lot of listeners will only marginally have any interest in Genesis let alone the solo work of that other guy who left them in the 70s who isn't Peter Gabriel. So the slant of the questions is understandable in that sense.

The only other light-related crowd reaction that ever approached that at the concerts I attended were the “glowing Phil” effect during the 666 section of Supper’s Ready and the exploding color of lights and then thousand pins of light effect during the end of SR, circa 3SL.

Again, partly testimony to their smart approach. Those set-piece 'gasp' moments were kept to a minimum. Another was the panic spread during Cage, "keep on turning". Other bands would, and since have, overused that kind of moment and go for an approach based on keeping everything dynamic as this = exciting. The Genesis approach epitomises the less-is-more notion and shows how to enhance the impact.

One of my absolute favourite varilite moments was on the IT tour in Second Home, at the point it transitions out of the mid-section and starts its return to the main theme, when every light flips downwards from the static horizontal. It's just beautiful and so well-designed. That whole track kind of pushes the dynamic varilite use furthest for that show but even then it's withheld to just the right degree.

Somewhat disappointingly, I found Steve's interview a bit dull. Maybe I was in the wrong mood at the time.

I think I know what you mean. But for me that thing of "they're talking about Genesis, with a former member" kicked in and overrode any misgivings.

EDIT: I love the irony of Kemp twice referring to 'For Absent Minds' (and Hackett not bothering to correct him).