Posts by Backdrifter

I guess I was a little uncharitable about DTLS and JHKM, they aren't bad tracks. I feel DTLS has some good lyrics and a great driving guitar riff in the middle. I would say it is too long though. And JHKM is a good lol song with some amusing lyrics.

Spike seems to be something of a favourite around here, often the way with the longer of the later trio tracks but I agree, it goes on just a bit too long and for me is a tad overwrought. But it nicely showcases the pleasingly angular guitar and drum sound that occurs on parts of that album.

I suppose Jesus can be seen as a humorous song although in its way it's got a serious point to make about the blatant shystering of TV evangelists. Obviously the video is a bit more overtly comedic.

I can't remember when I last listened to WCD straight through, I should do that soon. I have an impression of it not being very well sequenced.

Leaving aside the contortionism, it also doesn't follow that any alleged 'infidelity' in the lyrics is about a member of the band.

But I kind of like that fans of a band will wring meaning from a song the band themselves have said doesn't really mean anything. In a sense, why not - all creative arts should be open to interpretation. It's just that in this case I can't imagine they intended any of the stuff suggested above.

There's also the notion that even if the writer isn't actually aiming for specific meaning, there may be some unintended significance given a creative person expressing themselves will always in some way shape that expression. (See also the brouhaha I was involved in regarding Walrus in the Beatles thread).

I also thought the song was about infidelity. If that was the band’s intent I could see them deciding not to reveal that... for personal reasons.
    That said, in recent years I’ve also wondered if the song isn’t about an affair but instead about moving on from Peter Gabriel and creating a new identity for the band. The line “Tell me, do you think I'm to blame?” Could be about the public’s (incorrect) assertion that Phil forced Peter out.Cause you've taken someone else's girl“ Maybe the band itself is the “girl” in the song and even though Peter left they associate him with it (reflection of someone else's name). This left the band feeling trapped (Wake and find you're covered in cellophane) and desperate to poke a “hole” in the public’s image of Genesis to stylistically move on

Wow. This is top-level contortionism. Nicely done!

I don’t hate ICD. It’s just compared to seeing TLLDOB or Duchess dropped I’d prefer that ICD be dropped. Simply a matter of “degrees of like.”

OK fair enough. I've seen a fair bit of vitriol thrown at it here, but I get you're not doing that. Agreed that it's highly unlikely it'd be dropped.

It would be a shame for US audiences if either Lamb or especially Duchess were bumped for Misunderstanding. I suspect though that Duchess is in exactly the spot they'd likely put it. But is it unlikely they'd simply add it, not do a swap?

Good story but the video is unavailable which is irksome as "odd" intrigues me and I want to hear it. What's the artist and title?

EDIT - looked it up, Dark Star, Polica. I'll investigate.

When I did a Nursery Cryme thread I was surprised at how lukewarm the response was. First album with the classic line-up etc. But people didn't seem that interested. OK it picked up a bit and one thread isn't necessarily the measure of appreciation. But anyway there's the link for anyone who wants to dive in.

Graeme Edge, drummer, poet and composer for the Moody Blues, aged 80, appears to have been cancer, diagnosed in July. Longest serving member of the band, having appeared on their first single in 1964, 1st album in 1965, and stayed until the last album in 2003 and last band gig's in 2018. RIP ;(

I've never much liked the MBs but it's always sad to learn of the loss of anyone from that generation of rock bands. As a major fan you must be really feeling it.

Meanwhile we have also lost John Goodsall, as per this thread.

I liked Up well enough but one small change would have made a big difference for me.

If they had kept the upbeat "Burn You Up, Burn You Down" as part of the track list as was originally planned, and dropped "The Barry Williams Show," which I find plodding and dull, I would have embraced Up as being up to the same high standard as its predecessors.

I don't find TBWS plodding, but I do agree BYUBYD is a superior song.

For me, Up is an album that very gradually gives up its goodies. I don't often listen to it but even now when I do it feels like I'm still discovering it. I prefer it to Us.

I like it. OK it's not as arrestingly different as it'd be if someone did an industrial grime version (now I've said that, that's a version I really want to hear) but I like the 12-string sound and hearing the song filtered through someone else's interpretation underlines what a good and well-constructed song it is. :thumbup: from me.

I suspect the more sedate shots may be of the audience at a Yes concert.

Perhaps taken at the point they'd got to about three quarters of the way through Topographic Oceans? They'd have to be careful not to show all the audience members who'd slipped into a coma by that stage. Although your slumbering guy may have been well on his way to oblivion.

Is it just me, or in the ATOTT concert video does the opening scene of the band walking from from their dressing room to the stage remind anyone else of that scene in Spinal Tap where the band gets lost trying to find the stage? Lol

I suppose pretty much any such sequence will likely make someone think of that brilliant scene if they've seen it!

I might have to seek the film out and maybe give it a go for the first time in over 40 years. Then find the Hulk 'film' to complete the experience.

I just did this. No point waiting, eh?

Those stupid film inserts spoil what would have been a nice little film, the performance is great and I love seeing BB on drums. I suppose the director was too scared to just show a band playing, especially one not known for outrageous on-stage antics (at least at this point).

I know concert films intercut audience shots that aren't necessarily from the song currently playing, fair enough but it's done laughably badly in the intro to Los Endos when it shows ecstatic reactions to, most likely, the end of SR. (And also a woman looking somewhat distracted and just starting to yawn).

That sort of mix of films was typical back then. My mum and aunt went to see the film of the investiture of the Prince of Wales back in 1971, and dragged me along. The support film was the then 2 year old Bullitt.

Yes I think they'd just see what was available. Thematic linking wasn't a priority. Your double bill there is one of the starkest examples of that I've heard of.

The other main thing I recall about the ATOTT film is that they stuck IKWIL at the start - in itself not necessarily a bad thing as it makes a reasonable opener - but during it PC does cringey stuff like pretending to 'steer' himself around with the tambourine, and going around putting hats on everyone's heads. It's all very naff, but I suppose to be fair the guy was still feeling his way around being the front man.

That 'setlist deconstruction' approach crops up in the 3SL film as well if I recall correctly.

I don't think MR and SH's announcements are in that 76 film are they? In fact does it even show PC making any announcements?

I might have to seek the film out and maybe give it a go for the first time in over 40 years. Then find the Hulk 'film' to complete the experience.

It would be good if Management worked on releasing new full show's because we don't have these and even more fitting now to have

We can talk ourselves numb over all the things that would be good if..., but as mentioned in archive discussions elsewhere we all know they are not, never have been and never will be a clear-out-the-attic band. There won't be any full shows releases beyond what there already is.

Yep, it’s almost as bad as the concert film of the ATOTT tour. Arguably the two greatest instrumental sections Genesis ever did—the end of Cinema Show and Apocalypse in 9/8–and we get to see very little of the band actually playing those sections. I have no idea how the idiotic silent movie clip was supposed to represent Cinema Show, and the war scenes superimposed over A in 9/8 was completely unnecessary.

I can only guess the silent movie clip represents "cinema". I saw that godawful film twice on the same day, in a cinema in the late 70s. It was the support film - remember them? - for a feature-length Incredible Hulk, as in the Bixby/Ferrigno TV series. How on earth that shotgun marriage of features occurred is anyone's guess. I went with a schoolfriend and fellow fan. A couple were within earshot, before the programme started she said of the support film "What's Genesis?" for that's how it was listed, just that word, and her partner said "Oh I expect it's some nature documentary" which caused us mild amusement.

We watched it, sat through the Hulk, then watched the Genesis film again - you could do that back then. But it was just as crappy the 2nd time. That's both the times I've ever seen it

the Blu Ray of the Three Sides Live concert.

Does any one know it you can watch the concert by itself with out the those annoying interviews breaking up the live songs? Thank you in advance.

It's a terrible format isn't it. It was made at a time when live music films were mucked around with, as though the makers felt that just showing the performance wasn't enough and it needed to be interspersed with other stuff. One of the worst bits is just before that exultant climactic segment of M&SJ it cuts to another interview and doesn't return.

I think it is what it is, there's no 'show-only' version, sadly.

petros is the Greek word for stone. Ichor is Greek for blood of the gods. Petrichor describes the smell of wet stone after the rain. The smell is caused by biological pheremones that sink into the stone and reveal their smell when the stone gets moist.

Okay everyone, you don't in fact have to hang on - this is indeed it.

Yes it's that very distinctive 'earthy' aroma that comes with rainfall. Something I'd known for decades without knowing it had an actual name.

When you look it up, some sources say it's specifically when rain falls after a long dry period. They also generally tend to say it's caused when rain falls on certain types of soil, not just stone but certainly the two Australian researchers who coined the term were studying rocks when they isolated the substance that mainly creates the aroma. I've also read that some people say they can smell rainfall before it happens, and it's thought this is due to build-up of pre-rain humidity which traps moisture in rock pores which then release the scent.

A favourite book title of mine is the great Richard Feynman's The Pleasure of Finding Things Out. It sums up how enjoyable and interesting it is discovering stuff you didn't know. I'm pleased to add new words like this to my noodle while it's still capable of taking them in.

Have been thinking a bit about this and coming up short. Trying to look at the roots of the word, and thinking 'petri' is roughly 'of stone' as in petrified.

But I have no idea what 'chor' is. And when you say it's a familiar thing, I'm trying to think of common stone-related objects but maybe it's a feeling or a sound.

Actually that got me thinking, is 'chor' the same chor that's in chorus? Maybe petrichor is silence? Or the sound a stone makes when it tells me to stop bullshitting?!

Well done for at least trying to reason it through. You are right that the 'petri-' part of it derives from 'stone'. I was very intrigued by hearing this word for the first time last week, as I said it describes something I'm sure we've all experienced but I had no idea there was actually a word for it. I gather it was coined in the 1960s.

I'm sure no-one else is going to be particularly bothered about this but just in case anyone wants to also have a guess, I'll let it hang for another day or two then I'll explain - if anyone wants to look it up of course do so but please let the suspense, such as it is, hold for now.

I will give a clue - unlikely to help at all but, it's weather-related. In fact, looking out my window at the weather right now, when I go out shortly I'll no doubt experience some petrichor myself.