Posts by Dr. John

He could mean that someone will do arrangements of Genesis songs for classical instruments, which could have potential, with or without vocals. Gabriel's New Blood worked quite well, at least for some songs.

At the time the big draw of the sets were the surround mixes, but I'm a little surprised they weren't all that popular. I'm just glad that the missing songs were offered up at all. There were a lot of bonuses both big and small that came about through Nick's attention in the old forum that made the boxes better than they might have turned out.

I like having the stereo versions so I can listen to these songs wherever I don't have access to a player for the surround mixes.

Agree about Duchess on The Last Domino tour and Ripples on the 2007 tour.

Back in NYC on the Duke tour.

In That Quiet Earth (in full) on the IT tour.

Inside and Out on the Wind and Wuthering tour

There are also songs that are not favourites and I am surprised they played them live:

All In a Mouse's Night

Say It's Alright Joe

Me and Virgil

Like It or Not

I can understand not releasing the boxes themselves, as that would likely be a more costly production run. There is probably a minimum the would have to do and they might be unsure if that minimum would sell.

But what about just making them available for download, with the booklets also downloadable? Wouldn't that be cheaper? I vaguely remember being able to download the extra songs from the Rainbow concert that didn't fit on the CD.

Duchess for a few reasons. Firstly there is the poignancy of the lyrics, particularly the last verse given how Phil is doing ("Things weren't so easy now, all uphill, not feeling so strong...") and the last chorus reflecting back to the glory days. Secondly they played it very well, from the atmospheric quieter sections to the powerful sung sections. Thirdly it was my first time hearing this song live at a concert.

I think it is fairly hit and miss about artists getting recorded live during the early 70s. You would think a band like The Who would have lots of recordings after they released Who's Next, but I know of only one properly recorded gig from that tour (of which only bits and pieces have been released) and also essentially nothing from the 1972 shows.

To properly record a gig at the time usually involved a mobile studio, which might not be what the band or the label could or was willing to invest in during the early years of their career.

I think Genesis is pretty well represented in terms of live recordings from the earlier years. We have Genesis Live from the Foxtrot tour, the Rainbow gig from the Selling England tour, and the Lamb show. Admittedly there are missing songs and some rerecording that limits these releases. Still one song per tour for the last 3 albums with Gabriel is decent compared to other bands at a similar level of popularity at the time.

Well, Genesis DID authorize a PBS documentary about the making of the tour, featuring early rehearsals when Phil was really struggling. (and that official DVD can be ordered during the PBS pledge drives).

If Genesis were so concerned about how they currently appear, they would never allow that special to see the light of day.

If they're okay with that documentary out there, "preserved for the fans"... then I see no reason why they can't release a video of a full finished show from this tour.

It's obviously not about concerns regarding the quality of the performance.

I disagree about these points. There is a big difference between a tour documentary and a concert tour performance release.

The focus of a tour documentary is about how the band works together and how the tour is put together, it is not just on the final performances. Sure some excerpts are shown, but they can then pick and choose parts that went well. Or they can show bits that weren't working in rehearsal as they did in Come Rain or Shine. That fits well with the story of a tour coming together. The context makes all the difference.

A video release of the actual tour performance - either a single concert or a compilation - focuses only on the quality of the performances. So it makes sense that some artists will care if they think the performances are up to snuff for this kind of scrutiny.

I obviously don't know what Genesis was actually thinking about this. I'm just guessing that they might not have felt that this is the tour to preserve for posterity as a live performance, which is not incompatible with allowing sections of rehearsals and performances to show up in a tour documentary.

Aside from being a planned last tour, the R40 tour is very different from The Last Domino. As Rael mentioned above, Rush was still performing at a high level and so filming and releasing the show makes a lot of sense. When The Band quit performing in 1976, they similarly were doing so at a high level and we have the magic of The Last Waltz as a result. Genesis are performing OK, but nowhere near their previous level. So why would they want to preserve it for the fans? The fans can watch previous really amazing performances instead.

As much as it was lovely to hear Duchess this tour, if I want to hear/watch a live performance repeatedly I'll always go back to 3 Sides Live or the Duke tour videos. As much as it was poignant to hear a couple of verses of Fading Lights on this tour, nothing beats watching and listening to Tony, Mike, and Phil as a trio performing the whole thing from the The Way We Walk tour.

As many of have commented on other threads, the experience of this tour in-person is better than watching the videos. In-person the energy of the crowd, the sensory overload of the visuals, the volume and power of the music, all of these combine to make the experience worthwhile.

Watching the videos on a screen at home or at work, the flaws start becoming more prominent, especially on repeat viewings. You notice when Phil flubs a line or can't hit a higher note with authority. You notice when Nic's drumming is very good, but lacks the extra layer of finesse or complexity that Chester or Phil brought in earlier tours.

My guess is that the members of the band probably know this too - that their performances are still meaningful in the live context, but this is not the tour to save for posterity. Better that the fans can instead watch them in their performing prime. I can understand that and might probably have made the same decision if I were in their situation.

We have been lucky that nearly every tour over the past 4 decades was filmed and officially released. If the band does not want to do this with this tour, that's their call.

If the band has any energy for releasing filmed performances, my wish would be to focus on the archival material that exists, even if they don't put in the effort to restore it properly. I'd love the 3SL full footage for example.