Posts by Dr. John

PG4 is probably my favourite of his solo records. The only track I don't find engaging is The Family and the Fishing Net.

While not my favourite or even my top 3 from the album, I think StM is still quite strong. I like the main musical hook - simple and effective. I like all the Fairlight sounds and textures. I like the lyrics, which sound like they are superficially about one topic but are really about another. I like Tony Levin's stick work. I also like how it contrasts with the other songs on the album, which have some very different moods.

I saw Peter for 3 shows in Toronto on the So tour. The first two were in Maple Leaf Gardens and had close to identical setlists, except one had No Self Control. The third show was on another leg of the tour and included That Voice Again.

Never a band I liked, and the track above hasn't changed that, but good on them for keeping going and keeping the standard up. They should/may have done a song along the lines of "I hope I get old before I die!" ;)

Not expecting a conversion if you weren't a fan before.

They may not have a song about it, but they do appear to plan to die before they get old!

I never was a big THE WHO fan, but I was really surprised when I heard their new album - and i bought it. It's really a great collection of rock tracks. And I was thinking - whatever kept Genesis from doing such a last album .... probably they fear to produce something substandard.

THE WHO have proved the opposite.

I would also welcome a last Genesis studio album. I'm sure they could still write some quality songs.

The interesting thing about WHO is that is not only a good album, but it has sold pretty well, despite minimal airplay and promotion. It charted at #2 in the U.S. and Canada, #3 in the U.K., and #5 in Germany.

I agree that Mama is one of their best tracks period and one of Phil's best vocals. I also picked Second Home By the Sea. I then wrestled between IGGB, Silver Rainbow, and JaJtD. IGGB won out, but I like the other two a lot.

I got this album for Christmas. It's The Who's first album since 2006's Endless Wire and only their 4th studio album since 1978's Who Are You, so I wasn't necessarily expecting too much. But it's really good, not just "OK for a band that had its heyday 40 years ago", but actually really good in its own right.

Townshend has written a great set of songs that are topical and personal. A lot of the themes seem to draw a straight line from Who By Numbers and Who Are You, particularly about aging and identity. But he also comments on many current social and political issues. "All This Music Must Fade" particularly addresses the silliness of recent lawsuits about one song being similar to another.

But what really makes the album work are Daltrey's vocals. He hasn't sounded this unbridled, this in command since at least 1981's Face Dances.

If you haven't heard any of the tracks yet, at least sample "All This Music Must Fade" and see what you think.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Looks like I ended up picking the 3 in the current top 3. My order was Fading Lights, Living Forever, Driving the Last Spike. No Son of Mine, I Can't Dance, and Dreaming While You Sleep are then pretty close as runners up. And I like Hold On My Heart, because Tony's chords are a lot more complicated that you might initially think.

Long ago, on some previous Genesis forum, we had compiled a wish list of shows to release based on what we knew existed. I don't know if anyone copied that list somehow but it would be interesting to see again.

I love Supper's Ready and enjoy it all the way through. But if it had been broken up as individual songs, I probably would mainly focus on Lover's Leap, Apocalypse, and ASAEIE. Whereas each of the Duke Suite tracks (well, maybe except Guide Vocal) are great on their own and then make a greater whole strung together (if only on tour and in my head).

Based on what was released on the existing live albums plus Archive 1 and 2, they must have access to the multitracks for those shows at very least.

This remains one of my favourite Genesis albums, although I also don't love every track. There is a level of confidence about the music and playing that is surprising, given that Peter had left. Phil does a great first turn on lead vocals, able to range effectively from his usual (up until now) soft and mournful tones to more emphatic and aggressive on tracks like Squonk.

Dance on a Volcano is one of my favourite opening tracks. The chiming, metronomic, tension-building 12 string, punctuated by mini explosions from the drums and guitar, and then anchored by the deep bass pedals. There is no one else that combines all these elements so well. I understand Backdrifter's dislike of the coda (it's hardly the second part - more like the 4th or 5th part). It does feel kind of tacked on and I'm glad they eventually dropped it from the live versions.

Entangled showcases their great interplay on 12 strings. Just gorgeous how they fit together. Plus a beautiful melody, tight harmonies, and a haunting outro with Tony commanding the mellotron and Arp Pro Soloist.

Squonk is great, relatively straightforward rock. Although I usually prefer live versions of Genesis songs, I particularly like the crispness of the attack in this studio version. They story is perhaps a little fey, but I can let that go.

Mad Man Moon is one of those Tony songs in which I really appreciate the craft and musicianship, but doesn't excite me or move me much. The instrumental section is particularly well crafted, but I usually don't care enough to get there.

Robbery Assault and Battery is more of a mixed bag. I find the verses unengaging and the chorus melody boring. The instrumental section is great and probably deserves to be in another song.

Ripples... is one of my favourite Genesis songs. More great 12 string interplay, poignant lyrics, soaring melody, a haunting and long guitar solo interlude. A Genesis classic.

The title track I can take or leave. It feels kinda slight and a bit Beatle-esque. Not offensive, but very skippable.

Los Endos is a great instrumental, bringing together elements from many of the preceding songs (including It's Yourself in absentia). Phil brings his fusion rhythms into play. Mike has lots of nimble basslines. Steve does a lot of great interplay and harmonizing with Tony, who is stellar as usual. An awesome closing track.

I've never heard of Bots.

Deserted Cities Of The Heart by Cream is one that comes to mind - I didn't notice that until I was absent-mindedly drumming along to it one day with my fingers on the desk! :D

Speaking of Cream, the instrumental breaks before each verse are in 5/4.

Finger drumming - perhaps the only percussion that I think I truly excel at! ^^

Nice list. I agree there are lots of songs/pieces in odd time signatures that are still very catchy and can be popular. The Police's Mother however doesn't strike me as "easy to listen to, commercial, or popular" (although I think it is hilarious).

Heart of Glass by Blondie and Joan Jett's cover of I Love Rock & Roll also go into 7/4 in sections.