Posts by Dr. John

On another note, I don't really share the opinion that the original "Here Comes the Flood" is overproduced, although I'll admit I haven't listened to any alternate version.

Here is the version from Robert Fripp's Exposure album:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Here is a solo piano version from a Kate Bush special:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I find the starkness makes the song more haunting, but no less powerful. The booming drums and guitars are just too much for me in the studio version. My guess is that Peter himself preferred starker versions as this how he has mainly played this song live ever since.

Do you mean songs that are derivative of other songs, not as original? Certainly some songs I have listed are not musically unique.

This Boy uses a fairly standard progression and 12/8 feel, but then many great songs from this era used the same chord progressions again and again. What distinguishes a song for me is more the emotion and feel and I think This Boy has that in spades, particularly John's singing in the bridge.

So Sad About Us uses a very similar chord progression and, at least to me, seems a bit derivative of The Byrds, but I still find the melody winning and Keith Moon's drumming propels it to a higher level.

I don't find Erotic City sounds like much else other than Prince. It is sort of similar to other Prince songs from the era, but I still find its feel different enough to be worth it to me.

Another artist I was hoping to get to. Will try my own list soon.

I might have to investigate your list as this is a band I've never liked. But I should say that most of my problem lies with the (to my ears) monotonous nasal voices of the two women and the strangulated utterances of that Fred bloke, rather than the "look, aren't we kooky and fun?" nature of their hits. So hearing more obscure stuff might not save them, but I'll give it a go.

EDIT - I'd never have liked Love Shack anyway but after hearing it played at countless student parties I went to, I loathed it.

Fred Schneider's non-singing is an acquired taste. It is very mannered and you either like it or hate it.

Cindy Wilson and Kate Pierson are fantastic singers in my opinion. They can be kooky and avant-garde, making all kinds of weird and abrasive noises. They can also be joyous or poignant, with a fantastic sense of harmonies. How monotonous they sound can depend more on the song. Legal Tender is more on the monotonous side. But Deadbeat Club has a wonderful melody and their signing captures the nostalgia and tenderness of the lyrics.

I know that some people perceive The B-52s as novelty band, with quirky hits like Rock Lobster and Love Shack. I actually really like them a lot and think there is more to discover with them:

Girl From Ipanema Goes to Greenland

Dry County

52 Girls

Housework

Juliet of the Spirits

Legal Tender

Give Me Back My Man

Revolution Earth

Private Idaho

Deadbeat Club

Another artist I was thinking of. Some great picks here, including some early ones. Here is another album's worth:

Thunder

New Position

Le Grind

Endorphinmachine

It's Going to Be Lonely

Irresistible Bitch

Tamborine

Housequake

Release It (I know The Time is the main performer, but Prince wrote it, it's on a Prince album, and he sings back-up)

Erotic City

DMSR

Ooo, I was also thinking about Van Morrison, but you beat me to it. And you've covered his last 2 decades, which I don't know that well. This list is a great starting point for more exploration.

As the original suggestion was to suggest an album of lesser-known stuff, I default to thinking of a pleasing track sequence that'd make a good album with nice shape and flow. For me, chron sequences are never that.

It is also hard for me to think of all the songs without looking through my CDs chronologically. I will try to re-order them in a more pleasing sequence in the future.

Another favourite artist for me is The Band. Although they have great original songs, they also have many unique takes on covers, often in live performances:

Ain't No More Cane

Long Black Veil

When You Awake

Rockin' Chair
    The W.S. Walcott Medicine Show

Daniel and the Sacred Harp

When I Paint My Masterpiece

Don't Do It (live)

(I Don't Want to) Hang Up My Rock 'n' Roll Shoes (live)

Acadian Driftwood
    Georgia On My Mind

Atlantic City

I suppose Led Zeppelin's catalogue is one of the most familiar of all. Nevertheless....

Wearing & Tearing

Wearing and Tearing is such a fun song - it shouldn't have been relegated to Coda.

Love Train Leaves Here This Morning. I would also add Midnight Flyer to your collection.

REM was going to be another one for me to do, so now I have to avoid your choices (Untitled and Perfect Circle are two of my favourites):

Sitting Still

Pretty Persuasion

Life and How to Live It

I Believe

Disturbance at the Heron House

King of Birds

Hairshirt

Near Wild Heaven

Me In Honey

Sweetness Follows

New Test Leper

At My Most Beautiful

Your Beatles list has many that were on my short list.

We've talked endlessly about great albums and classic songs by many different artists. However many artists have incredible depth and even their lesser-known and sometimes obscure songs can be amazing. So my suggestion is for you to compile an album's worth of songs (number may vary based on the length of the songs) by an artist composed of great songs that weren't singles, weren't radio hits, and would generally not be recognized by the casual music listener. Let's exclude Genesis from consideration as we've had plenty of discussion about their lesser-known gems.

I'll start us off. Here's my suggestion for a compilation by The Beatles:

This Boy

I'll Be Back

Bad Boy

I'm Down

I'm Looking Through You

If I Needed Someone

Rain

She Said She Said

The Inner Light

It's All Too Much

Hey Bulldog

Happiness Is a Warm Gun

Mother Nature's Son

Savoy Truffle

Two of Us

You'll note that it is mainly Lennon and Harrison songs. I think this is because Paul was so good at writing catchy material that more of his songs are fairly well known.