Posts by NedFlanders123

If it was the classic 5 man line up I would be more enthused. Sadly, the 3 man line up peaked 35 years ago and I would rather we remembered them at that time. I know, it's a personal thing and I realise I am fortunate to have seen the band pre and post Peter. However, Phil is physically and vocally past his best so it will be of interest how the classic material sounds. I wish them well and anyone luckily enough and wealthy enough to get a ticket I hope is not disappointed.

Yes I mostly like the Trek tv shows, TNG being probably my favourite. I didn't like Voyager at first but warmed to it, although it was largely despite Kate Mulgrew's largely poor performance as the captain. Like you OneForTheVine I never clicked with DS9 or Enterprise. I've seen two episodes of Discovery so far and don't feel any urge to continue with it.

I'm interested to see Picard, I liked that character in TNG and the associated films, and I like Patrick Stewart.

I really like the 'reboot' films to date, I think they've been quite affectionate with regard to the original tv show. The 4th in the series is apparently now back on track with the main cast in place, with release in the next 2 years.D

DS9 my favourite and then OS with Voyager

Enjoying it so far! :thumbup:

I'm still waiting for season 3 of Star Trek: Discovery though. I love that show. (cue any "real" Trek fan telling me what "real" Star Trek is)

I am with you. Huge Trek fan since beginning and really enjoyed the first 2 seasons of Discovery. The only thing I would change is to get rid of the irritating Jar Jar Binks of the show - Tilly. I find her a right pain.

Age hasn't stopped Tony Bennett, Paul McCartney or The Rolling Stones from performing. It didn't stop Frank Sinatra from performing. Or John Lee Hooker. How about Miles Davis who performed whilst in excruciating pain?

If a Genesis reunion doesn't happen, it will be simply because they don't want to do it. It's got damn all to do with age or health.

Macca and the Stones don't have the debilitating health issues Phil has. Jagger can still strut as a lead man while Phil cannot play the drums anymore or stand for long. Hardly a fair comparison when health impacts on your ability to perform. Tony Bennett is a rare example but is a crooner whereas Phil was a bundle of energy. As for age, you are correct but Peter has stated he would be unable to sing many of the material he once sang 45 years ago. Personally, I would rather remember the gigs I saw in 73 and late 70s of the band at their respective peaks than any future gig when, like Macca, they are past their best.

Ahh, the old "loudness war" argument. Personally, I've always preferred Nick's work over the original mixes. I still have the original albums (being old enough to have bought them first time round on vinyl) but I no longer listen to the old mixes. The 70-75 box was the last to be released wasn't it? I reckon the band had looked at the sales of the box sets and clearly decided enough weren't being sold to keep them in production, hence the limited run for the final set. Damned shame.

There was the Genesis Live 73-2007 box set released in Sept 09. You are probably correct with the decision to stop the PG box set but surely a limited run of selling the SACD/DVDs separately for fans was an option?

At the bottom of the setlist.fm page for PC's final Not Dead Yet show, it says:

Final live performance by Phil Collins announced by Collins himself after the show

If he indeed said that, did he mean simply last show of the tour, or literally the last show he'll ever do? If the latter, that slams shut the lid on all possible Genesis live work involving himself. Doesn't it?

Doubt Phil would be fit for any reunion. Maybe seated but his health would likely be an issue. Anyway, I doubt a reunion is ever likely given the age of the guys plus Peter has said he could no longer reach certain notes on classic Genesis songs (his era)

Thanks. That is indeed a bewildering decision to not release those CD/DVDs individually. When the box sets where released, the price was fair enough, somewhere in the region of sixty quid. I got the 1976-1981 release and it's excellent. Sadly, when the other boxes were released I couldn't afford them at the time and, as you say, since then they've become unavailable except from third party sellers and the asking price is a complete joke.

I bought the first box set (70-75) for £85 on its release and all the others individually. Why they didn't press more of the PG box set is beyond me as demand was high (maybe to keep the cost high for a limited run?). To be honest, the DVDs are fab but would advise any fan to hold onto their original CDs as Nick D overcompressed the audio CDs and they sound too loud and brash.

Was that in America? I was talking about Britain.

UK. There was much gnashing of teeth by many fans who wanted to buy the PG era stuff but it was only made available in the expensive box set and then even more expensive when the box sets became unavailable via third party sellers on Amazon etc. Why they didn't release the albums as they did with post PG albums is a mystery?

I don't think so. If you buy The Lamb as a standalone release I believe it includes the CD and the DVD. And I'm sure that's the same with all the Nick Davies mixes of the albums. You don't have to buy the box set in order to get the 5.1 mixes (which is good because nowadays those box sets are bloomin' expensive).

No, the Lamb in 5.1 was only ever available as part of the Gabriel years 70-75 box set. Albums after that were released separately in CD/DVD. There was some movement a number of years ago to release the albums on Blu Ray but AFAIK only a couple have surfaced (DVD and Blu versions are identical)

Makes you wonder why he left doesn't it?

Anyway, I think you're far too into your prog to subjectively discuss the issue of it being very much a minority genre. I imagine you hate pop music, too, yes? :rolleyes:

No, I like a lot of pop music but mainly the classic stuff from 60s to late 80s. I tend not to buy much pop music now with the exception of ELO, Depeche Mode, Bowie and A-ha. On the subject of me being too into prog to discuss the issue subjectively, I beg to differ. I am aware of the success or not of many bands who I have followed over the last 50 years to allow me to comment subjectively. I have followed the genre since 1970 and continue to do so. As with all genres of music, some artists will command a larger listening/buying audience to others. It happened/happens with prog as much as it does with every other category.

In the last 18 months Marillion and Camel sold out the Royal Albert Hall in less than an hour. Steven Wilson's last tour sold out in many venues including the RAH. Steve Hackett has been more successful with the Genesis shows too. Even in the hey days if prog, only a select number garnered large audiences. I saw Genesis in 73 and audience was in the hundreds. Only in the 80s did the band go huge as a result of a more commercial/less proggy route. Finally, Big Big Train have increased their audience by many since first touring in 2015. I have seen many of the classic bands like Tull, BJH, Caravan, Camel, Crimson and even Yes in half full venues. Oh and Roger Water almost sold out the 12,000 seater venue Glasgow Hydro last year.

Well, it was popular upon its arrival in the late sixties, when it was new, exciting and vibrant. Popularity started to dwindle when bands started to believe their own hype and became boring and repetitive. Another twenty minute song? No, thanks.

I would imagine that prog rock is now a niche genre, a bit like jazz fusion or Peruvian folk music.

Kim Beacon is a proper singer.

Not talking about the late Kim Beacon. I was referring to Tony deciding to do the vocals in The Fugitive.

I think prog rock is more than a niche genre if you consider the popularity of post 70s prog scene - Rush, Hackett, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson. Marillion, Camel, Roger Waters, Moody Blues, Opeth, Neal Morse, Saga, IQ, Riverside et al. Clearly most won't sell the units the prog luminaries did such as ELP, Floyd and Yes etc but tours tend to be sold out or well attended.

I kind of agree with both of you - ACF is my favorite, but I don't think any of them are stellar.

I will stick up for "Bankstatement" and even the "Soundtracks" compilation - I like quite a bit on both. I have a feeling I would like "Strictly, Inc." if I could ever locate a copy. I was always a fan of Jack Hues from Wang Chung. What I have heard from it I liked; I've never heard it all.

Are you struggling to find a copy?