Posts by OneForTheVine

What I mean by this is, after the albums were released in a digital format, is your preferred remastering A) on the original CD releases (mid-to-late 80s), B) on the so-called "Definitive Edition Remaster" CDs (1994-ish - these only went from Trespass to Three Sides Live), or C) on the 2007 version (i.e., the boxset version)?

I would like to say that the 2007 versions were my favorite for every album, but that is not the case. (It is mostly the case, though.)

So, my favorite version of "Duke" is the original CD release.

My favorite version of TLLDOB is the Definitive Edition Remaster.

For the rest my favorite version is the 2007 remaster (From Genesis To Revelation I didn't include because, IMHO, all of the versions released of it sound pretty much the same).

There are some albums where every version was really good (e.g., SEBTP and ATOTT sounded great in all three versions). There are some where the original releases were quite dreadful sounding (e.g., all of the Gabriel-era, W&W, ATTWT).

What are your favorites?

Ah, YES! This forum is official now since we have this topic! ^^

My order for full studio albums would change from week-to-week except for the very top of the list:

1. Wind & Wuthering

2. Selling England By The Pound

3. Duke

4. A Trick Of The Tail (virtual tie w/ Duke)

5. Nursery Cryme

6. Foxtrot

7. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

8. Genesis (the 1983 eponymous album)

9. Trespass

10. Abacab

11. And Then There Were Three (virtual tie w/ Abacab - I would like to rate this one higher, but, truth be told, I listen to Abacab more - therefore, I must like it more)

12. We Can't Dance

13. Invisible Touch

14. From Genesis To Revelation (everyone has to start somewhere...)

15. Calling All Stations (which I really regard as a Banks/Rutherford album with side players; it just doesn't speak to me)

The top 4 are pretty much fixed, as are the bottom 4. Numbers 5 to 11 shift over time, but these are where they would most often appear on my personal list.

I did get to catch Hackett just a few months after i DISCOVERED the full body of work of Genesis, including all the solo works. It was the Durham, NC show from 2016/2017 (i can't remember exactly). I really liked Steve's first four albums and his set list was a wonderful combination of early Hackett and Gabriel-Genesis (no ATOTT/W&W sadly). Yeah, they were great. That's the only live presentation of early Genesis i have seen to date (I did see Genesis on the Invisible Touch tour in 1987 in Chapel Hill, NC).

Thank you for the links.

You're welcome! I think Hackett is going to keep a lot of the Genesis catalogue in his sets going forward. It is just getting so much appreciation - besides cheering, the most common thing I hear from the crowds at his shows is "thank you", in gratitude for keeping this music alive.

The Musical Box does get as far south as Washington, DC, but I don't know if they make it down to the Research Triangle area of NC. It does seem like there or Charlotte (or even Greensboro) would be good places to schedule a show - it wouldn't hurt to ask them.

WinstonWolf just made a good suggestion above - I have not heard them, but I don't think bands are going to be foolish enough to attempt playing Genesis unless they can do it well.

My Blu-ray player plays SACDs but I have yet to work out how! I usually content myself with putting on the DVDs (usually when I'm doing the cleaning!) or, for the car, I've made copies of the CDs (because there's no way I'm putting my prized CDs in the car!).

It should just play SACDs automatically when you put them in the player - I'm assuming it does not then?

Agreed. If they aren't going to re-release, at least keep the box sets in print for new fans (like me!) :|

I'll echo what many said above - the boxsets are really good. The "Live" and the "Movie" boxsets are easily obtainable on Amazon. You'll have to purchase "When In Rome" separately, but if I were a betting person, I bet you already have that (they still need to put that out on BluRay, though). If you want the other three studio boxsets, eBay is the way to go. For reasons I won't go into here, I became separated from my boxsets and I was able to replace them all on eBay and Amazon in less than a month start to finish.

If you have a player which plays SACDs, you'll want the UK/European or Asian versions. If you don't have an SACD player and you're quite content with CDs and DVD-Audio, the North American sets will do the trick. (If you are thinking about the import versions, know that, unless you have a region-free DVD player, you won't be able to play the DVDs here. As you may have figured out, I have a player that will play both SACDs and imported DVDs - if you ever want information for such a player, just send me a PM - that goes for anyone else too! ^^

But, yes, great info above - I concur with all of it.

This is great. And they are touring an excellent setlist right now (the 1977 show, right?). I have already registered to receive news on their website.

Yes! It's one of the things I like the most about them - that is, they primarily play the songs from the W&W tour. It's like hearing an expanded version of "Seconds Out" every time they play! 8)

If the greater Philadelphia area is a convenient concert-attending location for you, there is another Genesis tribute band called Trespass who makes the rounds. They primarily center on the Gabriel-era, but the last time I saw them in March, they included songs from ATOTT too. Their website is http://www.trespassmusic.com/home.html

Just follow the instructions there to get on their mailing list - they do send out e-mails about upcoming shows. However, I think they update their FB page more often than their website - that is here: https://www.facebook.com/TrespassGenesisTribute/

Also, if you don't already know about them, keep your eyes open for The Musical Box. They are a Gabriel-era tribute band, but they are the best - you get the whole experience with them. They recreate the feel and sound of the old shows perfectly. Their website is here: http://www.themusicalbox.net

As Christian (our webmaster) said in another thread, they are performing a special cross-eras set which they are calling an "extravaganza" - that is, instead of recreating a concert from a particular era (e.g., Nursery Cryme/Foxtrot, SEBTP, The Lamb, and once they did even ATOTT), they are doing a career-spanning set featuring songs from "Trespass" to "Wind & Wuthering" - their doing W&W songs on this tour is a first for them. They won't be back in the States until next spring (i.e., 2019), but they ALWAYS play the Philly area, almost always at the Keswick. Here's the announcement about that: http://www.genesis-news.com/c-…1977-tour-dates-s662.html

Also, Steve Hackett has been playing the old Genesis songs from Nursery Cryme to W&W heavily since 2013, and he is still going strong - he played in Collingswood, NJ just this past February (at the same place that this Saturday's "The Genesis Show" is). He is going back to Europe over the summer (I think he's in South America or Asia now), but he is continuing his Genesis-themed shows with an orchestra in Europe this fall. He first did this show as a one-off in Buffalo last year or two years ago; I suspect he will try to bring this show back to the States early next year as well. His website is: http://www.hackettsongs.com

There - that should keep you going for shows! ^^ Now, all we need is Tony to come up with a Genesis commemoration...

THANK YOU!!!! THIS IS PERFECT!!! Anyone know if they have any other shows planned for 2018 besides 4/21?

You're quite welcome! ^^

They usually tour pretty regularly - I bet they'll post more shows shortly after this coming Saturday's show. Who knows? Maybe they'll announce their next show at the show.

They played the Keswick in suburban Philly last December 30th - that was the first time I saw them. I was so impressed that I'm never missing them again. :thumbup:

Before i discovered the complete history of the band Genesis (and fell in love), i only knew Genesis as the band that did Duke through We Can't Dance. But i'd hear people say things like "Genesis was at it's best when Gabriel & Hackett were in the band". So i always assumed the best albums had Gabriel in them. But as i discovered the full history of the band, it seems fans actually like the two post-PG albums more than the PG albums. It's like the peak of Genesis was actually post-PG and had Phil on lead vocals. Is this a fair assessment? I was surprised, but now i agree as well. ATOTT and W&W are two of my top three picks (SEBTP being the other). Do people think it's interesting that Genesis actually survived just fine without an amazing talent like PG, and even did even greater works?

Yes! I think there are more than a few here who like the 4-man band version best (myself included). ATOTT (IMHO) always sounded like the more proper sequel to SEBTP than The Lamb did. The Lamb was completely sui generis to my ears - great, but wholly unique in the Genesis catalogue. ATOTT and W&W continued the classic, established "Genesis sound" starting with Trespass all the way up to SEBTP.

I was always amazed that they were able to lose PG and continue and then lose SH and continue - neither of those are easy things to overcome. Heck, even in the early days, losing Ant Phillips made them consider not continuing briefly. They really are one of the most resilient bands ever.

I'm really looking forward to this tour. I have seen them do every one of their tours (Nursery Cryme/Foxtrot, SEBTP (both black show and regular), The Lamb, and even the one tour where they did A Trick Of The Tail). This is the first time they are mixing everything up - I bet they will do songs other than "The Knife" from Trespass (but will probably do "The Knife" too), and they have never done songs from Wind & Wuthering before.

This is one to see for sure! :thumbup:

May 11, 2013 - St. David's Hall - Cardiff, Wales

then again on

October 24, 2014 - Royal Concert Hall - Nottingham, England

Both Genesis Revisited II shows

Then, very recently,

February 17, 2018 - Scottish Rite Auditorium - Collingswood, NJ, USA

(Bonus dates given because they all celebrated the glory of Genesis... 8)

The finale of the "Conspiracy of Hope" stadium tour to benefit Amnesty International at Giants Stadium - June 15, 1986.

Also featuring at the show: Lou Reed, Bryan Adams, Miles Davis, Joni Mitchell, Howard Jones, U2, and The (briefly-reunited) Police - obviously a great day of music for a great cause.

That's really a nice instrumental. I always enjoyed listening to that one. Shame Tony didn't do more of that kind on later albums Still and Strictly Inc.

I agree - I really like his non-classical instrumental work (and classical too). His "Soundtracks" collection is one of my favorite CDs of his.

Tragically, mine was late too. Late September 1986, "Invisible Touch" tour, The Spectrum in Philadelphia.

The best part of the show was the oldies medley - In The Cage/Cinema Show (excerpt)/In That Quiet Earth/closing section of "Supper's Ready". It got a HUGE ovation. :thumbup:

I was just barely too young to see the Mama tour shows in Philly. These were captured well on bootleg, so, if you have heard them, you know how good they were. Oh, to be a year or two older at the time...

Greater Philadelphia area (yes, that includes you, NJ, Delaware, NE Maryland, southern NY, and anywhere else in PA), after seeing these guys at the Keswick last December, then Steve Hackett in February, then The Musical Box and Trespass in March, why not top it all off at the Scottish Rite Auditorium on April 21st by seeing The Genesis Show again? That's right! There's no good reason not to! [Blocked Image: http://www.conforums.com/boardimages/grin.gif]

Here's the link again - see you there!

https://www.thegenesisshow.com/shows