Posts by OneForTheVine

Thanks for posting this! I agree with the CD/BluRay idea too - the Steven Wilson versions of the Yes/KC/XTC catalogue would be a good model to follow.

Yes, I started this topic and was asking the site's opinions about the various stereo versions, and that's all it was meant to be. It wasn't designed to cause any rancor. I can't help it if anyone decides to insert any on their own later on. On the whole, people have responded as I thought they would, i.e., merely saying which stereo release they liked the best. That's all the information I was seeking - beyond that is beyond the scope of the stated topic.

But, longer, expansive replies are fine too - just more than I was expecting.

I'm glad all three versions exist (from Trespass to Three Sides Live, that is - two versions otherwise). All are interesting in their own way. However, people have preferences, and I was curious to see if there was any kind of consensus here. That's it! :)

Greater Philadelphia area (yes, that includes you, NJ, Delaware, NE Maryland, southern NY, and anywhere else in PA), after seeing these guys at the Keswick last December, then Steve Hackett in February, then The Musical Box and Trespass in March, why not top it all off at the Scottish Rite Auditorium on April 21st by seeing The Genesis Show again? That's right! There's no good reason not to! [Blocked Image: http://www.conforums.com/boardimages/grin.gif]

Here's the link again - see you there!

https://www.thegenesisshow.com/shows

...and one more bump for good measure! 8)

10th November 1993, Dortmund Westfalenhalle

I wasn't even a real Gabriel fan back then. I remember buying the US album with great expectations, but it left me cold for a while. After the concert, I became a fan - and today US is my favorite of all Gabriel albums.

I have seen Peter plenty of times, 14 shows during the Growing Up Tour alone.

I so regret missing the "Secret World" tour - at least a Blu-Ray of the show exists (and I love it). US is one of my personal favorites of his too - right up there with his third and fourth albums, IMHO.

The "Growing Up" tour was fantastic too! I saw that in Madison Square Garden. The image of his walking (rolling?) around the stage in that large plastic ball is forever seared in my memory! ^^

Ah, I see what you mean. My apologies. I agree, that middling period from More to Atom Heart Mother does rank as the least appreciated era of the band. And I'm guilty of that lack of appreciation because I don't really like those albums at all!

That era really is a mixed bag. I was glad to get the 2CD "best of" of the massive early years set - there are some very good songs on it. However, I agree - overall, a smattering of good songs among some very odd ones...

I never did get to listen to the early years box set but I do love the Barrett era of Floyd. I don't think those early years are so much underappreciated as overlooked. Or maybe people just prefer to avoid listening to music made by a man whose mental health is clearly in steady decline.

I find the Barrett era of Floyd (and the albums he made afterwards) to be magical, funny, scary and, ultimately, quite upsetting. We had Dark Globe on in the car the other day and my wife and I just looked at each other, gave a heavy sigh and cried a little.

As for Nick, though, personally I'm just happy to see the Floyd men still active.

The era I meant by "underappreciated" was the era after Syd's departure but before "Meddle" - the Syd era, though quite brief, was always pretty well-regarded.

Yes - I'm happy Nick is doing this. I know some PF fans who like this era the most.

(Yes, poor Syd - I wish he had experimented a little less back in the day. It's clear he was very imaginative and very creative - starting from that state of mind, dabbling in psychedelics is always going to be a risky proposition.)

My pleasure!!

I know all the remasters and mixes like the back of my head. I really wish they would've gone the King Crimson/Steven Wilson/Yes route where the new mix is offered on CD and the original mix is on the DVD/Blu-Ray, along with the new mix. Taking the original mixes out of print is something I will never understand.

That's a very good point. The KC and Yes remixes/remasters done by Steven Wilson are indeed excellent, and the fact that he kept the original stereo mixes makes his sets all the better.

It's been a decade since the original boxsets. I hope they aren't completely against revisiting the albums one more time eventually, perhaps doing CD/Blu-Ray audio with the original stereo mixes included as a bonus. I'd get them. (I know they tried SEBTP in Blu-Ray audio, but they did absolutely no promotion for it.) It may just be a dream, but it would be nice.

YES! This is what I was going for in my original post. (I see we agree about "Duke" and "The Lamb", incidentally.)

I agree with what you said about the remixes, esp. with the DVD-Audio versions of them - IMHO, the way they were done makes them sound a bit too "bright". To my ears, they sound wonderful in SACD, though.

Yes, I guess I should have solicited opinions about the live stereo CDs are well - I'll put my personal preferences here now:

Genesis Live - this is one of those, like SEBTB and ATOTT, that always sounded good. Still, I'll choose the boxset version.

Seconds Out - I agree that it's tough to choose between the DER and the boxset version - they both sound great! Again, lean slightly towards the boxset version.

Three Sides Live - The boxset version again, but I hate that the Ethel Merman outro is edited off of it. So, mostly the boxset version, but the DER for "It/Watcher Of The Skies".

The Way We Walk - again, the boxset version for exactly the reason you gave.

Thank you for putting so much thought and detail into your responses! :thumbup:

Well, this site is a Genesis forum, which was designed to collect and discuss the opinions of its members about aspects of all things Genesis. So, subjective thoughts on this topic is exactly what I was hoping for! ;)

However, when one posts a topic, others can often reveal that the topic wasn't as specific as intended. I spelled out the options I had in mind at the beginning of my first post (i.e., the original releases of the CDs, the DER versions, and the boxset versions), but I should have been more specific that I was soliciting opinions about the stereo versions - that was what I was originally intending to ask about. (Since not everyone has a surround sound system, I wasn't thinking of the 5.1 versions. Now, I completely share your opinion that the 5.1 SACDs are quite wonderful, and they are what I listen to when I listen to Genesis albums am at home. IMHO, SACD is the best digital format for capturing the warmth and feel of the original analogue sound - Blu-Ray Audio and DVD-Audio are very good too, but I still personally prefer SACD.) Your story about Fisher Lane Farm is very cool, though - if only all of us could have the same experience...

What inspired me to start this thread now (besides wanting to do so on other Genesis forums in the past) is that someone posted a thread about the best way to start a Genesis collection. It occurred to me that, while I love the boxset versions of all of the studio albums, there are a couple of titles where I still prefer the older remasters, or at least I'm glad I still have them in addition to the 2007 remasters, because they preserve better (IMHO, of course) what I remember from the sound of the original vinyl.

So, I was seeing if anyone else here had the same experience - i.e., are there versions older than the boxset versions of the stereo CDs you personally prefer to listen to. As I said above, my personal preference for "Duke" is the original CD release (but I fully agree about the extra detail that StillCan'tDance pointed about the 2007 version) and I prefer the DER version of "The Lamb" (and I also agree about the detail improvement that Gaz pointed out as well - I should add that I like the 2007 versions of "The Lamb" and "Duke" just fine; I just prefer the older versions for these two titles). If there aren't any for you, then there aren't any for you. I was just curious to see if anyone else has the same experience with other albums.

What I mean by this is, after the albums were released in a digital format, is your preferred remastering A) on the original CD releases (mid-to-late 80s), B) on the so-called "Definitive Edition Remaster" CDs (1994-ish - these only went from Trespass to Three Sides Live), or C) on the 2007 version (i.e., the boxset version)?

I would like to say that the 2007 versions were my favorite for every album, but that is not the case. (It is mostly the case, though.)

So, my favorite version of "Duke" is the original CD release.

My favorite version of TLLDOB is the Definitive Edition Remaster.

For the rest my favorite version is the 2007 remaster (From Genesis To Revelation I didn't include because, IMHO, all of the versions released of it sound pretty much the same).

There are some albums where every version was really good (e.g., SEBTP and ATOTT sounded great in all three versions). There are some where the original releases were quite dreadful sounding (e.g., all of the Gabriel-era, W&W, ATTWT).

What are your favorites?

Ah, YES! This forum is official now since we have this topic! ^^

My order for full studio albums would change from week-to-week except for the very top of the list:

1. Wind & Wuthering

2. Selling England By The Pound

3. Duke

4. A Trick Of The Tail (virtual tie w/ Duke)

5. Nursery Cryme

6. Foxtrot

7. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

8. Genesis (the 1983 eponymous album)

9. Trespass

10. Abacab

11. And Then There Were Three (virtual tie w/ Abacab - I would like to rate this one higher, but, truth be told, I listen to Abacab more - therefore, I must like it more)

12. We Can't Dance

13. Invisible Touch

14. From Genesis To Revelation (everyone has to start somewhere...)

15. Calling All Stations (which I really regard as a Banks/Rutherford album with side players; it just doesn't speak to me)

The top 4 are pretty much fixed, as are the bottom 4. Numbers 5 to 11 shift over time, but these are where they would most often appear on my personal list.

I did get to catch Hackett just a few months after i DISCOVERED the full body of work of Genesis, including all the solo works. It was the Durham, NC show from 2016/2017 (i can't remember exactly). I really liked Steve's first four albums and his set list was a wonderful combination of early Hackett and Gabriel-Genesis (no ATOTT/W&W sadly). Yeah, they were great. That's the only live presentation of early Genesis i have seen to date (I did see Genesis on the Invisible Touch tour in 1987 in Chapel Hill, NC).

Thank you for the links.

You're welcome! I think Hackett is going to keep a lot of the Genesis catalogue in his sets going forward. It is just getting so much appreciation - besides cheering, the most common thing I hear from the crowds at his shows is "thank you", in gratitude for keeping this music alive.

The Musical Box does get as far south as Washington, DC, but I don't know if they make it down to the Research Triangle area of NC. It does seem like there or Charlotte (or even Greensboro) would be good places to schedule a show - it wouldn't hurt to ask them.

WinstonWolf just made a good suggestion above - I have not heard them, but I don't think bands are going to be foolish enough to attempt playing Genesis unless they can do it well.

My Blu-ray player plays SACDs but I have yet to work out how! I usually content myself with putting on the DVDs (usually when I'm doing the cleaning!) or, for the car, I've made copies of the CDs (because there's no way I'm putting my prized CDs in the car!).

It should just play SACDs automatically when you put them in the player - I'm assuming it does not then?