Posts by raeltheduke

Same here. Never joined FB and cannot see any reason why I would in the future. Unless someone posts it here I will happily just wait until the show itself.......

I couldn't agree more. I do not need any further privacy intrusions, that is why you have the official websites. I am proud to be FB impaired,

My Next Gig will be like going to a drive-in open air theater in my car. A few have suggested this option in the post-covit era and seems like a good one.

Imagine a stage facing 100-200 cars or more. Sound won't be like in a large arena or theater but at least you can see and hear your bands perform live!

I hate using the words "new normal" but this could be a new trend for concert goers and keep "social distancing". Besides, in your car you don't need a mask :)

This feels like when Led Zeppelin played the O2, I did not feel like I was missing out not only because I couldn't afford it but also because I had seen them in their 1977 heydays and had an incredible time.

With this new Genesis tour, I feel it is no longer the same. Back in 2007 I was very motivated mainly because I had never had the opportunity to bid farewell to my live experiences with Genesis whom I had seen 10 times before. And saw this tour as the perfect chance to seal it with a Golden ribbon and I actually did, fortunately.

Time is unforgiving for us all, the band are older. I am sure Tony and Mike still play flawlessly but Phil: his voice has diminished, no more forehead and knee tambourine bouncing antics, no more drum duets with Chester or much less the "we can't dance" marching along trio.

But if they do it the right way like Steve Hackett does, this tour can be a triumph and as I said before, the makeup and stage show needs to be different. Not necessarily acoustic but to add an intermission, play mostly instrumentals (to allow Phil's voice to rest) and a complete album (even Eagles did this and have sold out everywhere). One more suggestion: add 1-2 players to the ensemble, having only Daryl Steurmer is an outdated formula and needs a shot of new younger blood. Just ask Pete Townshend and Roger Waters.

I was quite surprised and intrigued that they decided to do an exclusive UK tour. Never knew they had only played there twice in 28 years, wow. Not much travel and short distances to get the production from city to city is a good thing.

Collins' material is much softer in tone than the Genesis song list specially the older songs sung by PG. It is going to be a tough challenge for Phil, it's no longer 1976 folks. An intermission would be good and could change the makeup of the shows. If Phil endures this rather short tour, most likely a Euro trek will follow. But it is too premature to think of a North american tour at this point.

It is totally natural that Mike and Tony had their reservations about little Nic playing drums. Instead of a backup singer, I would suggest they get a solid backup drummer since it sadly seems Chester has retired.

So let the set list speculations begin. How about a full album performed in its entirety? Say, Duke :)

I resist the notion that scaled-down automatically = let down, and let's face it there'd be plenty of fans who'd elbow aside their own elderly grandmothers in the rush for tickets for a small-scale Genesis show. But it's moot as I think you're right, any tour if it happens will be arena gigs at least. If they broke it up with occasional small shows, as some high-profile arena/stadium acts do, that would be a nice touch. But I doubt they'd even do that (even though they stuck some theatre gigs on to the end of the WCD tour, revisiting some venues from their 70s and 1980 tours).

For me, the let down would be if it were going to be a 100% all acoustic show.

I don't mind a small venue; I had the fortunate opportunity to see Genesis at the Capitol Theater in Passaic NJ that only seats 500 and it was one of the most amazing concerts of my life! On that Duke tour 1980, the next day I went from a 500 seat theater to the 17,000 Madison square Garden. And I had a much better experience in the theater setting. But both shows had identical set lists but a smaller rig and PA system at the Theater.

Point is, a small venue show does not necessarily need to be all acoustic.

A 20 minute set perhaps? I don't think Grandmother will mind.

I guess I am biased to a couple of songs that we played with my band back in the day and brings back great memories. My 3 favorite Duke tracks are:

Behind the Lines, Misunderstanding, Dukes Travels/End

Honorable mentions: Duchess and Man of our times.

There is going to be a big announcement on March 3rd, it might be about a tour or about the Lamb Box set as it has been speculated on other sites.

If it turns out to be a reunion tour, it is not going to be in small venues..that theory contradicts the fact that the band visited a large hockey arena like Madison square garden that seats 17,000 plus. That would not add up.

Genesis are known to do spectacular and visually stunning shows, no reason to scale down to a mediocre acoustic show, that would be a let down.

A Lamb Box set could be nice as long as it is not similar to the Wall Immersion Box set by Pink Floyd (2010) that essentially repackaged the original album with the Live Wall release. Certainly a 5.1 Audio Blue ray would be considered, forget any video since sadly it was never filmed.

OK, thanks for the advice. :thumbup:

Watched last Monday: It's more a documentary than a movie film, but now has acquired monumental posthumous historic achievement status:

"Time stand still" the Rush Farewell concert tour film that rips my heart out.

I've seen Peter a few times solo and with Genesis. Also with the Amnesty International all-star band (with Springsteen and Tracy Chapman) and once as a duo-bill with STING.

After the UP tour I also went to see Peter with the full Orchestra (New Blood Tour) which as a very unique experience indeed, loved "San Jacinto".

My first solo Gabriel concert was during the "melting face" tour on July 1980 at the Wollman Skating rink in Central Park New York.

The band wore all black jump suits and Peter emerged from the back of the audience singing his way to the front of the stage. The whole set list was only his material (no Genesis songs) from his first 3 albums. Incredible but David Rhodes and Tony Levin were already in his band. The drummer was Jerry Marotta and on keys it was Larry Fast. Excellent show, no special props but Peter always kept things interesting.