Posts by Gabble Ratchet

Hi and welcome to my thread Fabrizio. I’d love to hear your nominations for your 10th and 9th favourite Genesis tracks. We’re only posting one per week so you can quickly catch up

Hi guys,

Just to remind you that this thread is a Genesis Top 10 countdown. Although very welcome, the subsidiary comments are, I fear, hijacking the thread so I may have to tiresomely re-post reminders every day or so to keep the focus prominent. (Unless anyone knows a way of hiding the comments via a tab)

Here’s my NUMBER 9:

I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) from the album ‘Selling England by the Pound’ (1973): BRONZE

Who would expect to find a 4 minute single amongst the band’s 10 minute prog rock epics? Yet that’s exactly what you get with, ‘I Know What I Like’: a song that arose from a Steve Hackett riff and featuring a haunting sitar lick with the band’s signature dreamy atmospherics. Added to this is a woozy singalong chorus and a hovering flute solo. And let’s not undersell Phil during all this – his harmonies with Gabriel add texture to the vocals and do nothing if not help ‘keep them mowing blades sharp’. It even proved catchy enough bring those hot pants out on TOTP when the track reached No 21 in the charts and Pan’s People strutted their stuff (footage of which is sadly yet to reach Youtube) It might have been naff at the time but yesterday’s kids are today’s old proggers and more than partial these days to a bit of daddy-candy. Phwoarrr! Hot diggity!

Here’s the link to the live version from ‘Seconds Out’. At 8.43 it’s over twice as long and incorporates a beautiful segue into Stagnation at 5.37

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    . Enjoy!!

Whilst on the topic, and though I’m in danger of hijacking my own thread here, the reason I’ve started this ‘Top 10’ countdown (apart from the fun we’ll all have awaiting each other’s choices - wonder when we’ll get the first Munch-like ‘Scream’ ) is that I have finally girded up my arthritic loins and abandoned ‘albums’ for playlists. The reason being, is that apart from a handful of exceptions, most albums contain the odd track of utter dross! Also, how do you rate an album with say, 1 or 2 gems amongst a pile of rubble as compared to another full of semi-precious stones but with nothing that really sparkles? A playlist gets rid of this dilemma and, in Genesis’ case also frees you up from the interminable bore that is the ‘Gabriel v Collins v Hackett’ spat.

So what is your number 10, Backdrifter? I’ve trawled through your postings found lots of interesting comment and analysis but nothing that you’ve pinned your shirt to. I’m aware that this whole top 10 business is likely to be in a state of constant flux, but, hey, it’s fun isn’t it, even if you inwardly scream, ‘No, wrong choice!’ The moment you hit the ‘send’ button.

You can say as much or as little as you like about your choices: no pressure! Sometimes a gut, emotional reaction is worth far more than words. My top 10 are also constantly shifting too, but I like that. It makes me re-play the tracks as I struggle to decide which I prefer. 😀

I’m allowing a week per track so as to garner sufficient responses which I plan to collate at the end into some sort of graph. I’d also like to encourage people to wax lyrically about why they’ve chosen what they have and promote debate as to the merits of each track.. Hope you’ll get involved

I like the idea of seeing people's top 10s and could pretty well name mine right now but I'm not so hot on the idea of stringing it out across more than 2 months or categorizing them. Those things are inhibiting me from joining in, maybe it's stopping other people too? I don't know.

i agree it is a challenge keeping the list to 10 but this will simply encourage us all to re-listen to the tracks in order to ensure nothing important gets left out. I’m allowing a week per track so as to garner sufficient responses which I plan to collate at the end into some sort of graph. I’d also like to encourage people to wax lyrically about why they’ve chosen what they have and that in itself can take time to draft. Hope you stay the course Blacksword

Why not join me in counting down our top 10 Genesis tracks (1 track per week to give occasional visitors to the site time to respond and everyone else time to replay and reshuffle the order of their old favourites) I’ll tally up the results after we finish. You can say as much or as little about the tracks as you like: no pressure!

So for the next 7 days, please respond with NUMBER 10 only.

As for mine, I’ve had a lot of trouble finalising this top 10 and in the process of shuffling tracks up and down, quickly realised that within the list were sub-categories which just happen to coincide with the medals awarded at Chelsea (Bronze, Silver, Silver-Gilt & Gold). So without further ado, I’ll start my countdown

10. Undertow (Bronze)

It is often said that Genesis are dead and that all you can read on their tombstone is ‘And Then There Were Three.’

I disagree, although I would add to the album title the epithet: ‘Anyone out there play guitar?’ Having said that, there are some well crafted, if admittedly shorter, songs here of which Undertow with its anthemic chorus stands proud. Scatter the tracks across a playlist and it’s easier to tolerate that wall of synthesiser sound that plugged the gaps created by Hackett’s departure and Mike’s apprenticeship as lead guitarist (sorry, Mike, but by your own admission you struggled and only just managed to pull it off)

So: yes, a departure from the epics of yesteryear and musically much less complex but rousing atmospheric stuff nonetheless - and to those who blame this on Collins: change the frickin’ record: his writing credits were few on this album and remember that nothing ... but nothing.. gets done in Genesis without a nod from Banks!

Hi guys,

I’ve just joined this forum and am not sure if this is the best place to post this but here is a Genesis Crossword that I devised recently. Hope the photo image of the crossword grid comes out ok. Let me know how you get on!

The Ultimate Genesis Crossword

ACROSS

2. Gabriel’s farm in Supper’s Ready

6. It was in this country, with its strong classical /operatic traditions, that Genesis first found fame

7. Lyrics inspired in part by T.S. Eliot

8. What am I? You can tell me by the way I walk

10. Collins’ first venture as solo vocalist

12. Gabriel performed Moonlit Knight dressed as this character

14. This track from 1972 was Inspired by Keats’s ‘On First Looking Into Chapman’s Homer’ and Arthur C Clarke’s ‘Childhood’s End’ and it opens with a minute and a half of swirling mellotron.

16. This Hackett number from 1976 will leave you in knots!

18. The king referred to in Can-Utility and the Coastliners

19. A Hackett track from 1972 that took musical inspiration from the Prelude of Suite No. 1 in G major, BWV 1007 for cello by Bach.

21. The waters in this song are dangerously androgynous

22. Posh school where the band met

23. Dangerous vegetation!

25. This song Is about a rapidly ageing spirit with a lifetime’s desires surging through him.

29. Tony Banks describes this album as Foxtrot: several years on

30. It wasn’t until after the release of this album that the band finally got out of debt. The album also features a song of the same name that was written 7 years prior!

32. Back in 1980, Gary Numan was all the rage. This aptly titled song was Rutherford’s attempt to sound like him and the verses achieve his objective. Thankfully, the chorus delivers more of what we love

33. This guy was the eleventh on the 8th studio album

34. EP of leftovers from Wind & Wuthering released in May ‘77

35. In this song you hear about ‘a muddy pitch in Newcastle’

36. ‘How dare I be so beautiful?’ is a quote from this man who was the band’s first manager

DOWN

1. Hackett found blood on these in 1976.

3. The name of the ‘big’ guy in this ballad

4. A Tony Banks track from 1976 that he worried resembled the melody of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"

5. A song about two rival gangs fighting over East-End Protection rights.

9. A dangerous game to play with Cynthia Jane De Blaise-William

11. Rejected from inclusion on the Foxtrot album. Subsequently recognised as Hackett’s finest solo.

13. Danced to by Pan’s People on TOTP, this song was written for Genesis' roadie Jacob Finster (1971-1973) who could never hold down jobs - he was a lawn mower, a pawn store clerk and a cashier. By the time he died, he worked in a doughnut shop where he overdosed on heroin.

15. This 1976 song about a mythical creature was inspired by Led Zeppelin and has a hard rock drum beat dedicated to John Bonham.

17. Song written specifically to appeal to a female audience, as the band had determined that about 95% of their fanbase was male. It was also their first hit in the US

20. Song about a landlord wanting rid of his tenants

24. The title of this 1980 song is only mentioned at the very end of the track.

26. A highly personal Peter Gabriel epic. It is featured live on ‘Seconds Out’. Gabriel said that seeing Collins sing it was like “watching someone in your old clothes and you're not sure how well they fit."

27. Italian photographer, author of iconic Genesis book

28. Don’t trespass in this song unless you ‘wanna drink’

31. Gabriel didn’t find any hair on this in 1974

Hi guys,

I’ve just joined this forum and am not sure if this is the best place to post this but here is a Genesis Crossword that I devised recently. Hope the photo image of the crossword grid comes out ok. Let me know how you get on!

The Ultimate Genesis Crossword

ACROSS

2. Gabriel’s farm in Supper’s Ready

6. It was in this country, with its strong classical /operatic traditions, that Genesis first found fame

7. Lyrics inspired in part by T.S. Eliot

8. What am I? You can tell me by the way I walk

10. Collins’ first venture as solo vocalist

12. Gabriel performed Moonlit Knight dressed as this character

14. This track from 1972 was Inspired by Keats’s ‘On First Looking Into Chapman’s Homer’ and Arthur C Clarke’s ‘Childhood’s End’ and it opens with a minute and a half of swirling mellotron.

16. This Hackett number from 1976 will leave you in knots!

18. The king referred to in Can-Utility and the Coastliners

19. A Hackett track from 1972 that took musical inspiration from the Prelude of Suite No. 1 in G major, BWV 1007 for cello by Bach.

21. The waters in this song are dangerously androgynous

22. Posh school where the band met

23. Dangerous vegetation!

25. This song Is about a rapidly ageing spirit with a lifetime’s desires surging through him.

29. Tony Banks describes this album as Foxtrot: several years on

30. It wasn’t until after the release of this album that the band finally got out of debt. The album also features a song of the same name that was written 7 years prior!

32. Back in 1980, Gary Numan was all the rage. This aptly titled song was Rutherford’s attempt to sound like him and the verses achieve his objective. Thankfully, the chorus delivers more of what we love

33. This guy was the eleventh on the 8th studio album

34. EP of leftovers from Wind & Wuthering released in May ‘77

35. In this song you hear about ‘a muddy pitch in Newcastle’

36. ‘How dare I be so beautiful?’ is a quote from this man who was the band’s first manager

DOWN

1. Hackett found blood on these in 1976.

3. The name of the ‘big’ guy in this ballad

4. A Tony Banks track from 1976 that he worried resembled the melody of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"

5. A song about two rival gangs fighting over East-End Protection rights.

9. A dangerous game to play with Cynthia Jane De Blaise-William

11. Rejected from inclusion on the Foxtrot album. Subsequently recognised as Hackett’s finest solo.

13. Danced to by Pan’s People on TOTP, this song was written for Genesis' roadie Jacob Finster (1971-1973) who could never hold down jobs - he was a lawn mower, a pawn store clerk and a cashier. By the time he died, he worked in a doughnut shop where he overdosed on heroin.

15. This 1976 song about a mythical creature was inspired by Led Zeppelin and has a hard rock drum beat dedicated to John Bonham.

17. Song written specifically to appeal to a female audience, as the band had determined that about 95% of their fanbase was male. It was also their first hit in the US

20. Song about a landlord wanting rid of his tenants

24. The title of this 1980 song is only mentioned at the very end of the track.

26. A highly personal Peter Gabriel epic. It is featured live on ‘Seconds Out’. Gabriel said that seeing Collins sing it was like “watching someone in your old clothes and you're not sure how well they fit."

27. Italian photographer, author of iconic Genesis book

28. Don’t trespass in this song unless you ‘wanna drink’

31. Gabriel didn’t find any hair on this in 1974

I’ve put together this crossword for you all to enjoy.