Posts by Blacksword

No? Oh, I immediately saw what he meant: a jaunty plinkerty-plonk melody (Teddy Bears’ Picnic / WF) coupled with wacko psychedelic lyrics (walrus / Winston Churchill in drag etc)

Give me a horse of sand anyday. However, I quite agree about that dreadful ‘mouse’s night’ rubbish. Ironically, of all Banks’ lyrics, it’s FoF that most people tend to slate. A classic example of your very point. Who even listens to them when you’ve got Steve Hackett in top gear?

There was a very twee side to Genesis, which sometimes is irritating. Mike Rutherford wanted them to make a concept album of The Little Prince, but they ended up doing the Lamb instead (thankfully)

As for All in a mouses night, the lyrics are among the bands worse IMO. The music is actually pretty good though.

"Hold still, Phil. This is an old Charterhouse ritual; a kind of breaking in, if you will. John Mayhew said it didn't hurt too much, certainly after the aubergine had been removed. Tony, undo the belt, old chap"

I wonder if the fact I detest that song so much it's because it's Genesis' and how I would have reacted, had been by another artist. Perhaps it would grate me less but I still think it wouldn't be on my radar. Fact is that I find the kind of 'evolution' they had insincere for lack of better words. Mama is pop, so is FYFM or even Keep it Dark and I don't have a problem with those. Misunderstanding as I said, is something else, to me it is simply ugly and they don't have a problem admitting that they included it because it had single potential. It doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the album. IT though doesn't have the same problem, it is sleek, smooth, polished….Just too much. The Beatles went from She Loves you to a Day in the Life and it makes sense but Genesis.... To me it was simply odd to hear a group of Musicians who had been around for almost two decades and were pushing 40, suddenly discovering pop, that kind of pop. Ultimately, IT charted and was very successful and THAT makes it a good pop song, taste, quality and subjectivity notwithstanding. Is it an excellent pop song? I really wouldn't know, I think, as pop songs go, Mike wrote better. Anyway, I know that it does nothing for me.

First mention of Keep it Dark, I think I've seen here. Always loved that song. Best song on Abacab.

'Stagnation' is my Trespass fave too, Witchwood. I especially like it when it kicks off at 5.55 with Gabriel yelling 'I wanna sit down' before .... a gentle flute refrain which the rest of the band then take over and build up into a glorious crescendo.Goosebumps? You bet!

Wonderful song. It's the song that gave us an insight into where the band were heading next, more so than any other track on Trespass IMO. Classic prog rock.

I'm 50 next year.

Can't say I'm looking forward to that. I still don't know where all those years went. My health is pretty good and I'm active; going to the gym, pilates, playing tennis, but I am starting to creak a little. A little arthritis in the thumbs, carpel tunnel in the old wrists, but my weight's good and I don't drink very much.

That said I had my first 'fall' while on holiday in Greece recently. I'm increasingly unstable on my feet, and slipped over in the shower. Not badly hurt, but very shaken. I spend the last weekend decorating and it almost finished me off, but then I've alwas had an aversion to hard work, and by and large I've been successful at avoiding it. Until now.

At #9 I have Home by the Sea from the Genesis album.

I struggle to find much after ATTW3 that interests me. Their best seller - Invisible Touch - contains literally nothing, and it's mainly a case of scratching around for a couple of acceptable singles - Turn It On Again, I Can't Dance, Abacab. But the eponymous album has a stellar Side One with the haunting Mama (complete with the evil laugh Collins ripped off from Grandmaster Flash), the foot-tapping That's All, and this late classic. Together with Second Home it forms an eleven minute suite. If I were allowed to pair them I might even push it up another position in my list, but on its own it still commands a place. I just love the keyboard riff going over the top of Phil's "Sit down, sit down". On the live sets he delivers the vocal first half, then retires behind the drums for the instrumental playout - as if to say to poor old Chester - you're not really up to this. What I do find irritating and unnecessary is the little gap between the two parts on the album, as if they needed to physically separate them. But forgiving them this, here we have their last great song.

Although I'm not a big an of their pop era, they could still pull some gems out of the bag. I agree Mama is superb, and was a surprisingly big hit here in the UK. It's pretty quirky and very dark! That whole first side is realy good, with the 'Home by the sea' suite rounding it off perfectly. The second side is relatively weak, but I always had a soft spot for Silver Rainbow.

Their best best post W&W songs, IMO: Turn it on again, Mama, That's all, Tonight, tonight, tonight, Domino, No son of Mine, Driving the last spike, Fading lights.

Number Nine:

Squonk - just an amazing song from my favorite album. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall when Phil first sang this one in the studio. Love how the song starts off so powerful and ends real laid back. When I want to show anyone Genesis, this is usually the song I play them first.

Squonk is an excellent song, I agree. Trick is my favourite Genesis album.

You're absolutely right, I completely see that. It was a groundbreaking album, no question. Not to mention hotly anticipated, as they'd already garnered a fearsome live reputation. I didn't mean to suggest it doesn't deserve its plaudits. While I recognise all you say, I still can't get along with the album. Perhaps Schizoid excepted. Even then I prefer the incendiary version on USA.

Yeah, I rarely listen to it these days. I still give In the wake of Posseidon a spin form time to time. Moonchild and I talk to the wind are pretty weak tunes IMO, but certainly Schizoid, Epitaph and the title track still do it for me.